RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 03:17:57 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Mega Man 2 & 3 - Retro Playthrough - June 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Mega Man 2 & 3 - Retro Playthrough - June 2015  (Read 38704 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2015, 06:56:17 PM »

I just started Mega Man 3.  I have no idea what order to tackle the stages in, or which bosses are weak to which powers, but I was able to defeat Top Man and Gemini Man.

I had the same questions.  However, the boss orders I found online weren't working for me.  So, I went back to my Nintendo Power issues and found the order they suggested.

The Nintendo Power boss order for Mega Man 3:

Magnet Man --> Hard Man --> Top Man --> Shadow Man --> Spark Man --> Snake Man --> Gemini Man --> Needle Man

I plan on trying this order on my next attempt at Mega Man 3.

Yep, that was my order.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2015, 07:59:47 PM »

I played this a lot when I was a kid, too.  I love this series.  I think a big part of the problem is I'm playing on the GC and not the NES.  I keep confusing the jump and shoot buttons.  Also, it's hard to "fist" the controller and pound the shoot button with the index finger.  A strategy I use a lot on this game.  Anyone else playing on the GC?  Anyone else having issues with the controller/button configuration?

My friend bought Mega Man Anniversary when it first came out.  It only made sense to buy the Gamecube version, right?  We were in college, so there was a huge group crowding around to see the collection.  We were all hyped for it.  Then, the gameplay started.

A shoots, B jumps.

The collection sat gathering dust for the rest of our time at college.

This is why I made sure to pick up the PS2 version when I saw it in a game shop years later.

Yup, I can't get used to the buttons being opposite.  I might have to switch to the NES for MM3.  I can't find my MM2 cart at the moment.  Also, MM2 on the Anniversary collection does not have a Difficult difficulty settings.  Does the NES version have a Difficult setting?

Yes it does.  The 'Difficult' mode is the true difficulty of the game as it was released in Japan, while Normal is an easier mode for the North American audience.  The 'Normal' difficulty on the Anniversary collection is the same as the 'Difficult' mode on the NES release.

Well I'll be, that's why I'm having so much trouble.  I really didn't lose my talent.  Yippee!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2015, 08:42:19 PM »

Man,  MM2 has some awesome music!  Woodman!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2015, 11:21:05 PM »

MM2 does have awesome music. There was a Canadian TV show in the 90's I remember called Video and Arcade Top 10. The theme music for that show was a modified/inspired version of Crash Man stage music.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2015, 11:27:47 PM »

Played a little more of Mega Man 3 and beat all of the stages except for Snake Man.  I'm going to bed now.

Since the MM2 soundtrack keeps being brought up, I leave you guys with this awesome video:

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2015, 06:15:08 AM »

Another VERY underrated song is the Intro to MM3. In fact, I'd put it as one of the best NES tracks ever. It's a shame that Capcom 'wasted' it for the Intro (because a lot of the time people just hit start right away and don't get to hear it)

Anyway, an update for for my "helmetless" challenge (no e-tanks, no vehicles, mega buster-only)

MM2 Normal - Complete
MM2 Difficult - Only Quickman remaining. He is very tough and I can't gauge a pattern.
MM3 - 8 robot masters down, on to the next 4 stages.

I'm not feeling too confident in finishing these. Hard Man was near impossible, Gemini Man and Shadow Man are very tough, and I can't even beat Quickman. I don't think I'll fare well when it's time to fight all 8 robot masters in a row.

Impossible. How did you make it past the huge open space that has no blocks on the first Dr. Wiley stage without using the Item 1?
Magic!

No, it's impossible. I used the Items (and certain weapons to beat certain bosses) ONLY when the game forces you too.

Maybe it's just that I'm too familiar with MM2 since I played it a ton as a kid, but to me, the difficulty greatly increases in MM3.
It does. There are a lot of bosses in MM2 that you can bully. You can blast away at them and just dodge a little and you'll end up winning. The patterns for the bosses in MM3 are far more sophisticated and challenging.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:39:28 AM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2015, 08:45:42 AM »

Another VERY underrated song is the Intro to MM3. In fact, I'd put it as one of the best NES tracks ever. It's a shame that Capcom 'wasted' it for the Intro (because a lot of the time people just hit start right away and don't get to hear it)

Anyway, an update for for my "helmetless" challenge (no e-tanks, no vehicles, mega buster-only)

MM2 Normal - Complete
MM2 Difficult - Only Quickman remaining. He is very tough and I can't gauge a pattern.
MM3 - 8 robot masters down, on to the next 4 stages.

I'm not feeling too confident in finishing these. Hard Man was near impossible, Gemini Man and Shadow Man are very tough, and I can't even beat Quickman. I don't think I'll fare well when it's time to fight all 8 robot masters in a row.

Impossible. How did you make it past the huge open space that has no blocks on the first Dr. Wiley stage without using the Item 1?
Magic!

No, it's impossible. I used the Items (and certain weapons to beat certain bosses) ONLY when the game forces you too.

Maybe it's just that I'm too familiar with MM2 since I played it a ton as a kid, but to me, the difficulty greatly increases in MM3.
It does. There are a lot of bosses in MM2 that you can bully. You can blast away at them and just dodge a little and you'll end up winning. The patterns for the bosses in MM3 are far more sophisticated and challenging.

I agree 100% about the intro track to MM3.  It is quickly becoming one of my favorite tracks in the entire NES library.

I'm surprised you're having such a hard time with Quick Man.  I felt like he was one of the easier bosses to beat with the Mega Buster.  Granted, I still lost a good chunk of health on him, so I may not have fared so well during the boss rush if I had to fight all the robot masters using only the Mega Buster.

I also agree that the bosses in MM3 seem much more difficult than the bosses in MM2.  The patterns for most of the MM2 robot masters are very predictable.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2015, 09:19:50 AM »

I bought the GC version of the anniversary collection as a new release, or relatively new.  I think I paid $30 for it, or thereabouts.  I could never get used to the button swap either, and it's a crying shame Capcom didn't give us the opportunity to swap it.  When I get around to playing these (been spending too much time on Mass Effect!), I'll probably play via the Xbox version of the collection.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2015, 09:34:06 AM »

I'm surprised you're having such a hard time with Quick Man.  I felt like he was one of the easier bosses to beat with the Mega Buster.  Granted, I still lost a good chunk of health on him, so I may not have fared so well during the boss rush if I had to fight all the robot masters using only the Mega Buster.
Maybe I'm just missing something.

@MetalFRO - Yeah, that button thing is inexcusable. There are some NES and SMS games that have reversed buttons like that, but that was before the standard was set. It shouldn't never be like that on a GC or PS2 game.
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2015, 09:47:48 AM »

I debating opening up my controller and physically moving the buttons so it's right. And just use that controller for mega man. Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now your playing with power!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2015, 10:09:37 AM »

I debating opening up my controller and physically moving the buttons so it's right. And just use that controller for mega man. Ha

You doing this would not surprise me.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2015, 02:35:59 PM »

@Jerry Greenwood: If you're still having problems with Quick Man, I use the Time Stopper to bleed out some of his health, and then go with the Air Shooter afterwards. At least that is the way I tackle him.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2015, 03:15:59 PM »

@Jerry Greenwood: If you're still having problems with Quick Man, I use the Time Stopper to bleed out some of his health, and then go with the Air Shooter afterwards. At least that is the way I tackle him.
Thanks. I know those tactics, but I'm trying for the...
"helmetless" challenge (no e-tanks, no vehicles, mega buster-only)

On Difficult, it is quite...difficult.
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2015, 03:20:34 PM »

Mega Man 3 really cranks up the difficulty compared to 1 & 2.  I had a really hard time with Magnet Man... until I realized the corners of his boss room are safe spots.

Current FM synth enjoyer.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2015, 03:22:09 PM »

Mega Man 3 really cranks up the difficulty compared to 1 & 2.  I had a really hard time with Magnet Man... until I realized the corners of his boss room are safe spots.

The slide comes in handy in that fight.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length