RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2024, 10:29:51 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | November Retro Community Playthrough - Super Metroid 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: November Retro Community Playthrough - Super Metroid  (Read 47379 times)
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2014, 04:48:03 PM »

you can go back to Brinstar to get the Charge Beam, but it's gonna take you a few more items to get back. 

Spoiler (hover to show)

I know about the freeze beam, but I'm not sure where to find that.  If I could find it, the grappling hook, OR the Power Bombs, I could access different places, but right now I seem to be stuck.  I did find the speed boots, and that helped me unlock a new area, but I got stuck in that spot because once I ran past something, I didn't have enough room on the other side to run back Sad

do you have the map for brinstar yet? that should help you find the boss for that area, which will lead shortly after to the grapple beam
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2014, 04:48:16 PM »

you can go back to Brinstar to get the Charge Beam, but it's gonna take you a few more items to get back.  

Spoiler (hover to show)

I know about the freeze beam, but I'm not sure where to find that.  If I could find it, the grappling hook, OR the Power Bombs, I could access different places, but right now I seem to be stuck.  I did find the speed boots, and that helped me unlock a new area, but I got stuck in that spot because once I ran past something, I didn't have enough room on the other side to run back Sad

If you're stuck and frustrated, PLEASE, PLEASE consult a map or guide for help. No one here is going to judge you for it and we want everyone to have a pleasurable experience with our games.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2014, 05:16:55 PM »

It affects donation amounts on charity marathons. Wink

I think last year's AGDQ raised nearly $100,000 on that alone.  I cant wait to see what they raise at AGDQ 2015.

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/bid/1528

Game: Super Metroid (Summer Games Done Quick 2014) Bid: Save Or Kill The Animals Total: $109,577.46
Description
The only question is whether it's going to raise six figures this time
Name   Description   Amount   Goal
Kill   They're tasty and you're going for world record.   $56,125.93   (None)
Save   It's canon and PETA approves   $53,451.53   (None)

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2014, 09:05:42 AM »

Spoiler (hover to show)

I know about the freeze beam, but I'm not sure where to find that.  If I could find it, the grappling hook, OR the Power Bombs, I could access different places, but right now I seem to be stuck.  I did find the speed boots, and that helped me unlock a new area, but I got stuck in that spot because once I ran past something, I didn't have enough room on the other side to run back Sad

If you're stuck and frustrated, PLEASE, PLEASE consult a map or guide for help. No one here is going to judge you for it and we want everyone to have a pleasurable experience with our games.

I ended up looking to see where I could find the Freeze Beam, and in my quest to uncover other stuff, I discovered the Spazer (awesome).  Now I need to figure out a way to get back to where I can get the Grapple Beam.  I have also encountered a large red boss that opens his mouth and roars at you, and slowly pushes you backward toward a spiked wall.

Spoiler (hover to show)

In any event, I don't feel shame in having caved to look for help, but I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to do that.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2014, 09:45:27 AM »

You are correct in your assumption as to what you have to do for this boss. You can use regular missiles to accomplish this too, just make sure that you are hitting him in the right place at the right time. I am assuming that you have the Charge Beam. I think that this can be used in most boss fights when you are out of missiles.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2014, 04:44:03 PM »

you've got the strategy down for that boss, but like Rich said try other weapons too. charge beam in certain combinations will eventually do the same damage as a super missle, but at this point it should at least match the strength of a regular missle i think.
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2014, 10:58:33 PM »

That's Crocomire!  The greatest Super Metroid boss!

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2014, 10:32:19 AM »

I ended up looking to see where I could find the Freeze Beam, and in my quest to uncover other stuff, I discovered the Spazer (awesome).  Now I need to figure out a way to get back to where I can get the Grapple Beam.  I have also encountered a large red boss that opens his mouth and roars at you, and slowly pushes you backward toward a spiked wall.
If you have the Ice and Spazer, you can go back and get the Charge Beam. You can use this to push that boss back. A fully charged Spazer shot does more damage than a missile anyway (not that you can actually "damage" this boss). You must defeat this boss in order to get the Grapple Beam.

If he's so great, why doesn't he fix that flimsy bridge he hangs out next to?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:36:23 AM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2014, 11:15:14 AM »

Spore Spawn - the greatest Super Metroid boss that's not really a boss.

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2014, 03:12:20 PM »

Spore Spawn - the greatest Super Metroid boss that's not really a boss.

I dunno, I think Botwoon might have something to say about that.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2014, 04:00:03 PM »

Got the Gravity Suit today. Checkpoint achieved.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2014, 04:01:36 PM »

Got the Gravity Suit today. Checkpoint achieved.

Excellent!

Slowman
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2014, 10:05:42 PM »

I am starting late this month guys, started around noon today and it is now 9 pm.  This game has it's hooks just as firmly into me as Symphony of the Night did.  Still have not consulted a guide and twice today I have spent an hour running around aimlessly.  I've spent a fair amount of time just getting used to wall-jumping and exploring places I maybe shouldn't using Morph Ball bombs.   I've just gotten the Spazer so that'll tell you approximately where I am.

How have I not gotten around to playing this until now...?  Fantastic game so far.

PSN - rswslowman
3DS - 1177-8481-5639
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2014, 01:42:47 AM »

awesome to have you on board slowman! it really is an amazing game, i feel exactly the same about wondering where this game has been all my life.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2014, 08:43:26 AM »

Yeah, with your love of Castlevania: SotN, this is the perfect game for you.

I'd like to put an * beside anyone's name in the initial thread who is playing/just played this game for the first time. It would be something good to talk about on the podcast this month (which is being recorded this weekend).

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length