RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2024, 12:19:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | November Retro Community Playthrough - Super Metroid 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: November Retro Community Playthrough - Super Metroid  (Read 47389 times)
monstrtomstr
N-Gage
United States

Stats
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2014, 10:55:40 AM »

I'm playing this for the first time without a guide, I got the freeze beam thing and power bomb and I did the wall jump thing and the last boss I beat was Kraid and I'm pretty sure I'm just going all over the place. But I'm having so much fun.

[img width=318 height=109]http://i57.tinypic.com/2rope7d.jpg[/img]
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2014, 11:04:05 AM »

I'm playing this for the first time without a guide, I got the freeze beam thing and power bomb and I did the wall jump thing and the last boss I beat was Kraid and I'm pretty sure I'm just going all over the place. But I'm having so much fun.

Going all over the place is pretty much what you do in this game. Remember that super missiles open green doors and power bombs open the orange ones. If you can remember where these once inaccessible places are, you can go back to them and hopefully progress in the game.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
monstrtomstr
N-Gage
United States

Stats
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2014, 11:12:30 AM »

Yeah, I'm getting the concept of that. This game is ridiculously fun though. The only part I disliked was learning how to wall jump, it took me a while to get it right.

[img width=318 height=109]http://i57.tinypic.com/2rope7d.jpg[/img]
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2014, 11:47:04 AM »

And even when you get it right.....it's still annoying

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2014, 12:46:25 PM »

This game is ridiculously fun though. The only part I disliked was learning how to wall jump, it took me a while to get it right.
Welcome, glad you're enjoying one of the all-time greats.

You never HAVE to wall jump. It's more of a secret mechanic for speed runs. If you're wall jumping to reach a certain area, then you shouldn't be there yet and you might have skipped something. But don't let my words restrict you. Be free! Go go go! Run around, jump around, shoot everything, and have fun! Smiley
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 12:56:35 PM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2014, 01:39:04 PM »

There's nothing better than wall jumping off a tiny narrow platform that leaves barely enough room to even stand on.  Once you get into a rhythm its the most fun thing to do.

Then there's mastering the bomb jump, which is useful at times you can't wall jump or shine spark.

And THEN learning the mach ball, which is next level speed run strategy stuff...

All of which is really not necessary for finishing the game, but adds much more depth and replay value once you beat the game.  It truly opens up the world and you'll spend the majority of time trying to figure out which areas you can access before you're intended to. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:44:52 PM by RetroRage » Logged

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2014, 02:08:12 PM »

I have mach balled before, but I've never really gotten serious with applying it. I have more trouble with bomb jumping.

I'd like to mention that of all the remakes and hacks of all the games I've ever played, Super Metroid has the best. I've tested a few and played through two of them. Some of them are completely different with different enemies, items, music, graphics, and/or physics, some of them are incredibly hard. The two I played were much more fun than some of the Zelda and Mario hacks I've seen.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2014, 02:29:19 PM »

Bomb jumping is simple once you realize the rhythm of it and listen for sound queues.

RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2014, 02:36:19 PM »

Performing the mach ball requires a very precise set of inputs, and usually you have very little running room to pull it off.  I've only managed to do it a handful of times.  I kinda feel like I'm getting the hang of it though...then it's gonna be a brand new game again

And yes I love the SM hacks.  There's a few really good ones that just came out, I'll try to find the names later

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2014, 02:41:34 PM »

i managed bomb jumping on one area that seemed to require it to get an item. it helps that it's a required move in the Prime games so i already knew the basics of it.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2014, 04:18:34 PM »

@MetalFRO You'll need the Charge Beam.  Go back and get that sucker.

I defeated that boss last night and am in Norfair now, and I honestly have no idea how to get back to where I can pick up that charge beam.  I have tried shooting and bombing floors, walls, ceilings, etc. in every room that seems like a dead end or anywhere obvious, but I can't find a way back to where I can get near the first area.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2014, 04:26:50 PM »

I honestly have no idea how to get back to where I can pick up that charge beam.  I have tried shooting and bombing floors, walls, ceilings, etc. in every room that seems like a dead end or anywhere obvious, but I can't find a way back to where I can get near the first area.
It shouldn't be difficult at all. You're missing something obvious.

Edit - Never mind. I think you might need something from Norfair to get you back to the Charge Beam
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 04:39:59 PM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2014, 05:52:41 PM »

I honestly have no idea how to get back to where I can pick up that charge beam.  I have tried shooting and bombing floors, walls, ceilings, etc. in every room that seems like a dead end or anywhere obvious, but I can't find a way back to where I can get near the first area.
It shouldn't be difficult at all. You're missing something obvious.

Edit - Never mind. I think you might need something from Norfair to get you back to the Charge Beam

I'm thinking I need the "super bomb", because there's a spot where I bombed the floor, and it revealed a bomb-like icon, similar to the super missile blocks you can destroy.  There's also a really long hallway with these "face sucker" enemies that have these stones that you blow up with bombs, and they reveal these arrow icons, so I'm not sure what that's all about either.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2014, 05:59:41 PM »

The manual for this game makes all the difference:
http://metroid.retropixel...et/games/metroid3/manual/

[img width=700 height=511]http://metroid.retropixel.net/games/metroid3/manual/m3_12.jpg[/img]
[img width=700 height=500]http://metroid.retropixel.net/games/metroid3/manual/m3_14.jpg[/img]

RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2014, 06:30:12 PM »

you can go back to Brinstar to get the Charge Beam, but it's gonna take you a few more items to get back.  

Spoiler (hover to show)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 09:58:25 PM by RetroRage » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length