RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 02:31:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | You have got to be kidding me - The PS2 now! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: You have got to be kidding me - The PS2 now!  (Read 5025 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« on: March 05, 2016, 10:39:05 PM »

Ok, I can't take this any more.  My son wanted to play Dog's Life (good game by the way) on the PS2 and the damn thing won't turn on.  Checked to make sure it was turned on and plugged and they were.  So I figured I would try the new PS2 I just picked.  Well guess what?  It won't read discs!!  !@$%^#@!#$%^@!^  I can't take it any more.  This shit is getting to me and I can't do this.  Too much crap going on in life.  Luckily, I was able to get the "new"PS2 working by cleaning the laser twice with alcohol but I'm mad my original PS2 won't work.  Does the thing have a fuse?  I seem to recall that it does and maybe a storm hit and blew it.  Any ideas (again)?  Thanks.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 10:48:12 PM »

Now I'm ready to cry.  The PS2 I fixed no longer reads discs.

SMS set complete!
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 11:02:45 PM »

What model?

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 11:05:29 PM »

Fat is the one that won't show any sign of life.  The slim is the one that I got working but than it went back to not reading discs.  I hate disc based systems!

SMS set complete!
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 11:08:08 PM »

Hope this helps:
http://arstechnica.com/ga...03/11/ps2-repair-guide/1/

Various different ways to get that laser functioning again.

monkees19
Donor
United States
Awards: 2015 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 11:15:58 PM »

I feel your pain! My Dreamcast lens wwnt, my Xbox disc tray went AND the AC adapter on my GameCube all went on me within the past 6 months. And that's after o replaced the disc drive on the Wii (that was a 4 year old fault though)

Definitely check out some tech forums or youtube. Tutorials are everywhere and very effective

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 08:40:10 AM »

Hope this helps:

I can vouch this same thing worked for my old PS2 fat, though I didn't use same article.  While it can still be a bit slow to read the actual discs, it doesn't have a problem reading any of them.  I would like to reiterate something said in the article, though.  On page two at the top the pic shows removing the top and placing it on the side.  Be extra careful with this step and make sure to not pull too hard to life the top cover off the base.  If you do you will pull the ribbon cable for the power switch off the system board, which is taped under the top cover.  It can be fixed, but it is a huge pain. 

As an alternative you can still buy replacement parts for your PS2.  I've used DXExtreme (http://www.dx.com/) and can assure that it is not another generic rip-off site, as I've bought many times from them over the years.  Their PS2 section is located here.  The lasers are $10 at the max and include free shipping, and not too hard to replace (easier than a Wii).  Much cheaper than rolling the dice with another unit, in my opinion.  Keep in mind that this is one of those Chinese websites, so shipping can take a few weeks.  They also have parts for most of the other consoles as well.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 03:17:34 PM »

Hope this helps:

I can vouch this same thing worked for my old PS2 fat, though I didn't use same article.  While it can still be a bit slow to read the actual discs, it doesn't have a problem reading any of them.  I would like to reiterate something said in the article, though.  On page two at the top the pic shows removing the top and placing it on the side.  Be extra careful with this step and make sure to not pull too hard to life the top cover off the base.  If you do you will pull the ribbon cable for the power switch off the system board, which is taped under the top cover.  It can be fixed, but it is a huge pain. 

As an alternative you can still buy replacement parts for your PS2.  I've used DXExtreme (http://www.dx.com/) and can assure that it is not another generic rip-off site, as I've bought many times from them over the years.  Their PS2 section is located here.  The lasers are $10 at the max and include free shipping, and not too hard to replace (easier than a Wii).  Much cheaper than rolling the dice with another unit, in my opinion.  Keep in mind that this is one of those Chinese websites, so shipping can take a few weeks.  They also have parts for most of the other consoles as well.

The FAT I pulled apart but I can't find anything wrong.  This is the one that won't power on.  There is a fuse but I can't see if it is blown because it is not clear.  I pulled my meter out, though, and it has continuity so the fuse is good.  I bought another power cable in case that it he problem but 99.9% it is not.  I'll pull the slim out with the reading issue soon.  The Wii wasn't that bad as I had to replace the drive because it stopped reading except for the stupid security screws it has.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:32:45 AM by shaggy » Logged

SMS set complete!
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 05:45:56 PM »

I will also say thanks, bomba.  I have a FAT PS2 in my basement that is awaiting a network adapter & hard drive install so I could do some FMB on it, and am using my Slim in the living room to read discs in the meantime.  However, it would be nice to get the drive in my FAT unit reading discs again.  It will read PS1 discs, and some games, but it flipped out on God of War last time I tried it, and about a half dozen other games that are clean and read fine in my Slim model will not read in the other at all.

sydpinkfloyd
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 05:06:32 AM »

I had the same reading issue with my fat ps2 when I last played it. I had to continuously adjust the laser with a screwdriver to get the games working. The ps2 laser is terrible IMO, the Xbox seems to be much better.
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 10:10:06 PM »

Anyone have any ideas with my fat PS2 that doesn't power on?

SMS set complete!
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 10:25:59 PM »

I had the same reading issue with my fat ps2 when I last played it. I had to continuously adjust the laser with a screwdriver to get the games working. The ps2 laser is terrible IMO, the Xbox seems to be much better.

The only problem I had with the Xbox was the dive door crapping out.  Never had a problem with the games.

Do you have another mouse ears power cord?  That would be my first step.  The next step is to disassemble it and check the power coming directly onto the system board to determine if it is the internal PSU, the power button, of the system board itself.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 10:28:27 PM »

To go along with what bomba's saying, if you move the power cable does the connection to the adapter in the console move? It could have come unsoldered.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 09:12:59 PM »

Do you have another mouse ears power cord?  That would be my first step.  The next step is to disassemble it and check the power coming directly onto the system board to determine if it is the internal PSU, the power button, of the system board itself.

Tried another cord and the same thing, nothing.  Opened it up but didn't see anything out of the ordinary, didn't check any voltages, though.

Got a new laser for the PS2 slim and the dang thing still doesn't work.  I did remove the blob of solder.  Is there another issue or is the laser bad?  I can hear it spin up.  The only reason I say the laser could be bad is that part of the ribbon cable where the blob of solder was isn't "glued" to the assembly the laser is in but I don't think this should affect the laser.  I guess just because I hear it spin up, though, it doesn't mean it is moving up and down the disc and reading it.  Any ideas?

SMS set complete!
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 08:45:05 PM »

Do you have another mouse ears power cord?  That would be my first step.  The next step is to disassemble it and check the power coming directly onto the system board to determine if it is the internal PSU, the power button, of the system board itself.

Tried another cord and the same thing, nothing.  Opened it up but didn't see anything out of the ordinary, didn't check any voltages, though.

Got a new laser for the PS2 slim and the dang thing still doesn't work.  I did remove the blob of solder.  Is there another issue or is the laser bad?  I can hear it spin up.  The only reason I say the laser could be bad is that part of the ribbon cable where the blob of solder was isn't "glued" to the assembly the laser is in but I don't think this should affect the laser.  I guess just because I hear it spin up, though, it doesn't mean it is moving up and down the disc and reading it.  Any ideas?

the only thing spinning in the disc drive wouldn't be the laser, would it? the laser should just move in and out across the disc, nothing spinning there. if the ribbon cable leading to the laser is damaged i would imagine that must be related...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length