RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 17, 2024, 05:27:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Retro game save manager 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Retro game save manager  (Read 920 times)
raptor94k
Memorex VIS
United States

WWW Stats
« on: October 26, 2014, 07:02:59 PM »

I've just been throwing this idea around with a friend of mine (possibly considering investing a little time into researching and prototyping something) and I wanted to know what the opinions of some people here were:

I hate having to deal with game saves, and in particular memory cards, when it comes to older systems. Talking about Sega CD, Saturn, PS1, N64, PS2, Dreamcast, Gamecube here. So basically my idea would be to have a single device that would manage all of this for you. Haven't gotten into specifics too much, but some sort of centralized device (with many adapters for the different systems) that would either have a hard drive of its own or be connected to a cloud server (or both), with some sort of GUI to manage "virtual" memory cards. This manager would be much like the process of creating and managing virtual memory cards for PS1 and PS2 on the PS3. My current idea would be some sort of iOS/Android/web app for the management of saves.

When it came time to play a game, you would hook the correct adapter up to the system of your choice and ideally everything would work like normal. One might have to go into the app and select the memory card that the system should be using, just as you would if you were managing multiple memory cards in real life.

So my questions to the folks here at RFGen would be

1) Does such a device already exist? Or something similar?
2) Would you be interested in such a device and if so how much would you be willing to pay for it?
3) Ideas, suggestions, comments, concerns, and most importantly pitfalls with the overall idea?

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 07:20:40 PM »

1) Not a mutl-system one to my knowledge. Several stand alone devices for copying save to PC/other media.
2) I'd be interested only if it was inexpensive, and I can't imagine this being cheap to pull off. While it is inconvenient to use separate devices, I do already own them.
3) I'd deeply consider how low you could get the cost per unit.

raptor94k
Memorex VIS
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 08:31:42 PM »

Yeah I thought about how expensive it would be, and how that would be a problem. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'd have any idea of what the cost might be like without getting a bit of a prototype going.

MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 04:05:18 PM »

Assuming you could make something like that with a semi-universal USB interface, i.e. a memory card/adapter would plug into the system and then it would plug in via USB to the device, that seems very feasible.  As to the cost, that would likely be expensive, as the others have mentioned.  I'd love to have something like this - think about the ability to share saved games for older systems with people all over the world!  That would be a great tool, but something tells me it would be quite cost-prohibitive to construct, and along with the proprietary memory formats, you'd almost be better off making memory card adapters that would house an SD card or something, and then create software that could read the individual formats of those cards so the files could be "portable".  Seems like that might be more feasible.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length