RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 08:02:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | OUYA-New Console-Discussion Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: OUYA-New Console-Discussion Thread  (Read 6515 times)
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« on: July 11, 2012, 09:28:08 AM »

OUYA just broke the record for first day pledges on Kickstarter.  Here is the spec sheet so far:

Specifications:

Tegra3 quad-core processor
1GB RAM
8GB of internal flash storage
HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth LE 4.0
USB 2.0 (one)
Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
Android 4.0

Price: $99

There is a pretty good video that shows the console in action on the kickstarter page.  Anyone planning on getting one?

http://www.kickstarter.co...ind-of-video-game-console
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:47:02 AM by wildbil52 » Logged

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:11:01 AM »

But I dont want to forget about retail fees Sad

Sounds interesting. Not for me, but interesting. I'll be watching to see how it does.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:16:56 AM »

If it is every made I will not be getting one.

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:20:45 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something, but this just seems like a machine dedicated to XBLA/PSN/WiiWare/iPad/Android type games? It also appears that there is no game media, so its all download?

It seems kind of odd they're only putting one USB port and just 8GB of memory in it. Memory is so cheap and I can't imagine USB ports are that expensive to add. I get that its supposed to be inexpensive to buy, but limiting it like that can only hurt it in the long run IMO.

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 10:26:26 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something, but this just seems like a machine dedicated to XBLA/PSN/WiiWare/iPad/Android type games? It also appears that there is no game media, so its all download?

That's what it seems like to me too.  I guess the idea is that it's so hard for a developer to make a game on an established console but simple for them to make on on the Android platform.

I don't imagine that this thing will compete with the big guys but I don't think that's what it's meant to do.  It's a small, inexpensive hacker friendly platform.  When you think of something like a Roku, Apple TV, or Boxxee, the pricing is comparable to this unit but none of those devices have the gaming potential that this thing does.

That being said, I'm still on the fence.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 10:28:11 AM »

It seems kind of odd they're only putting one USB port and just 8GB of memory in it. Memory is so cheap and I can't imagine USB ports are that expensive to add. I get that its supposed to be inexpensive to buy, but limiting it like that can only hurt it in the long run IMO.

I agree with you on this. When I saw 1GB RAM and 8GB of internal flash storage I was thinking damn thats it.

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 10:29:25 AM »

I agree with you on this. When I saw 1GB RAM and 8GB of internal flash storage I was thinking damn thats it.

The Xbox 360 has 512MB of RAM.  I will agree that the internal storage is quite low but they are already talking about adding USB ports and increasing storage since the campaign has been so successful so far.

noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 10:30:50 AM »

I'm not really convinced of Android as a great gaming OS yet. Though in fairness, maybe that would change if I were playing on my TV with a nice controller rather than dicking around with my phone and getting frustrated with touch controls and a tiny screen...

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 10:31:56 AM »

The Xbox 360 has 512MB of RAM.  I will agree that the internal storage is quite low but they are already talking about adding USB ports and increasing storage since the campaign has been so successful so far.

Oh I know the 360 would be lower but it is also going to be 7 (I think) years old ion November.

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 10:55:04 AM »

Very true.  I'm hoping the memory gets a bump.

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 11:00:48 AM »

The Xbox 360 has 512MB of RAM.  I will agree that the internal storage is quite low but they are already talking about adding USB ports and increasing storage since the campaign has been so successful so far.
8GB internal storage wouldn't be bad if they added a second USB for an external hard-drive and/or a SD Card slot. But using your only USB port for a hard-drive when the games are all downloaded would just be a hassle for people that download a lot of games.
The 1GB RAM seems like plenty of power for a console like this.

After reading more about how their games are all "free" I'm a bit worried as it'll likely encourage more of these "free to play" Facebook type games where the base parts of the game are free, but you have to pay for every little extra piece and the game is constantly encouraging you to buy more useless pieces of the game. I'd rather pay upfront for a game than be nickel and dimed to death by it.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 11:37:42 AM »

How many good games are on Android and how many are pure shit?

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 11:48:07 AM »

First, the same could be said of any console, but I do see your point.  The iOS and Android market are FILLED with crappy games.

I'm not saying that people should be interested in this because of the Android games that are already out.  I think that dismissing or writing off this device because of the reputation of touch screen games is missing the point.  They are giving startup and indie developers a well known and easy to program for OS where they can make a game and put it on someone's TV without having to court a publisher or pay a huge licensing fee and I think that's cool.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 12:10:21 PM »

First, the same could be said of any console, but I do see your point.  The iOS and Android market are FILLED with crappy games.

I'm not saying that people should be interested in this because of the Android games that are already out.  I think that dismissing or writing off this device because of the reputation of touch screen games is missing the point.  They are giving startup and indie developers a well known and easy to program for OS where they can make a game and put it on someone's TV without having to court a publisher or pay a huge licensing fee and I think that's cool.

I won't give the system the time of day no matter what since it is download/stream only.

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 12:12:02 PM »

fair enough

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length