RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 01:39:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Nintendo finally adopts Achievements 0 Members and 15 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Nintendo finally adopts Achievements  (Read 7415 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 09:56:02 PM »

Great, now I am the only human being without a cell.

Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 11:10:48 PM »

Oh fuck off Nintendo. You claim to not do fads then you turn around and do fads. Yes I will buy Wii U. But Achievements is the worst thing to happen this gen aside from DLC. What a real sense of achievement back int eday was beating tough games. Not a charm to say DING YOU TURNED ON THE CONSOLE!

Congrats for giving in to the ADD generation.
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 01:56:15 AM »

You know what makes great replay ability. Being fun. That's all games needed back in the day. If it's fun I play it again. Not a useless pointless charm that helps ADD moronic gamer feel a false sense of accomplishment. I don't need a charm that says I opened 100 chests in Darksiders. Who fucking cares? ooh a chest. Does it give me one for smashing a crate? Oh yippy as I pee my pants with glee like a retarded 12 year old. Makes games more fun then and make them more challenging like in the 90's where games punished you but it felt so fanfuckingtastic to beat it. And have those memories forever. No one is going to remember OOOH I GOT 30G for opening a crate!
Deafens Proner
Sega Genesis
Brazil

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 04:57:45 AM »

Cool, but honestly i don't care about achievements.
I don't care either Cool

Great, now I am the only human being without a cell.
You're not alone Grin
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:57:03 AM by Deafens Proner » Logged

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 06:38:34 AM »

Oh fuck off Nintendo. You claim to not do fads then you turn around and do fads. Yes I will buy Wii U. But Achievements is the worst thing to happen this gen aside from DLC. What a real sense of achievement back int eday was beating tough games. Not a charm to say DING YOU TURNED ON THE CONSOLE!

I think acheivements is actually my favorite feature introduced this gen. When PSN went down and they gave everyone a free month trial after getting it back up I was treated to Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage as free downloads. I've played both games many times, but guess what? I enjoyed having the trophies added and they got me to explore both games (each of which I'd previously beaten more than a dozen times each) in ways that I had never done before. I love having an incentive (no matter how meaningless they are, which honestly most games from past generations promote anyway) to play my game differently.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 06:52:17 AM by Crabmaster2000 » Logged

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 09:58:28 AM »

^ The future is here, embrace it cheapy Grin

This

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 10:00:09 AM »

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Get the final achievements/trophoes in Catherine and tell me thats not an achievement. Yes some are easy but there are many hard ones also.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 10:03:43 AM »

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Get the final achievements/trophoes in Catherine and tell me thats not an achievement. Yes some are easy but there are many hard ones also.

Thats the only platinum trophy that I've attempted and then gave up on (at least for now). I think I'm 3 trophies short. Hard as hell.

I've found getting all of them VERY rewarding on games like Mirror's Edge or 3D Dot Game Heroes. I just like to think of them as a badge for doing a completionist style play of the game.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 10:08:07 AM »

You know what makes great replay ability. Being fun. That's all games needed back in the day. If it's fun I play it again. Not a useless pointless charm that helps ADD moronic gamer feel a false sense of accomplishment. I don't need a charm that says I opened 100 chests in Darksiders. Who fucking cares? ooh a chest. Does it give me one for smashing a crate? Oh yippy as I pee my pants with glee like a retarded 12 year old. Makes games more fun then and make them more challenging like in the 90's where games punished you but it felt so fanfuckingtastic to beat it. And have those memories forever. No one is going to remember OOOH I GOT 30G for opening a crate!

Achievements are just there as guidelines for things the developers want you to try. Some take it further than others, with ridiculous challenges, while others use them as time sinks to artificially increase replay value. They are an OPTIONAL thing to accomplish - no one's stopping you from playing games the way you've played them in the past. They're also not going anywhere, so either ignore them or embrace them. Nintendo has even said they're OPTIONAL for their games, so show your support by only purchasing games without achievements.

With that being said, there are few hardcore games being released because of the whole "accessibility" buzzword that's been making its rounds in the industry the past few years.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 10:14:09 AM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 11:59:39 AM »

Can we reinstate Karma?

Achievements are a great addition to games.  Achievements have prompted me to play through games completely.  Normally, I stop playing games halfway through, but now I strive to complete Achievement/Trophy lists.  Yes, there are bad/ridiculous/stupid achievements, but they are not necessary for playing a game.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 04:23:50 PM »

Wii have achievements for U!

It's the Wii U! Roll Eyes
FireStar
Virtual Boy
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 05:13:03 PM »

Hopefully nintendo's own Achievements are for things that you don't obviously do in the game. (Like beat it) Thyey should follow Xenoblade and give you them for doing things you wouldn't want to do yet reward you in game at the same time. Then every one of nitendo's games could double as a mental game.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 06:38:21 AM »

I just hope they aren't obnoxious and appear on screen every time you "achieve" something. Let me see achievements/trophies if I want to see them, don't force them down my throat. That's all I ask. I don't mind them if they are done in this way (is why I don't mind them on iOS)

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 09:56:50 AM »

I just hope they aren't obnoxious and appear on screen every time you "achieve" something. Let me see achievements/trophies if I want to see them, don't force them down my throat. That's all I ask. I don't mind them if they are done in this way (is why I don't mind them on iOS)

On the 360 you can turn the notifications off.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2012, 01:04:50 AM »

On the 360 you can turn the notifications off.

i wonder if you can do that on ps3, i don't think so but seems like something i should look into lol. anyway i like the way Heavy Rain and Journey did them. Heavy Rain had them during the loading screens after you finished an area and journey left them until the very end of the game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length