RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 02:56:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | hi, new member here just a few questions about the website 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: hi, new member here just a few questions about the website  (Read 3808 times)
HUYI
N-Gage

Stats
« on: June 24, 2012, 02:20:29 PM »

does this website have a import feature? i have over 2000 games and i don't want to enter all of them again by hand, or is there any easier options to add multiple games to my collection?
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 03:03:16 PM »

Welcome HUYI! No there is no import function. If you have a large list you can search by console and region and tick off all the ones you have in one go since you already have a list. Then you can use the buttons to quickly fill in quantities. I hope that helps!

HUYI
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 03:14:09 PM »

ok, well i guess that is a start Sad it's gonna take a while Sad
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 03:55:01 PM »

i feel bad for people like you that found the site with such a huge number of games. i think i'm one of the lucky few that found it early in my collecting, i only had maybe 150 or 200 games when i joined rfg.
HUYI
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 07:03:35 AM »

i feel bad for people like you that found the site with such a huge number of games. i think i'm one of the lucky few that found it early in my collecting, i only had maybe 150 or 200 games when i joined rfg.

yeah, it seems you got lucky, i am not sure if i want to upload my collection here yet, see what happens, i need to find a new place soon as the website that i came from have gone bottle up and took my collection with it, wasn't happy with it either, i have been thinking about hosting my own website with my collection on there instead of somewhere else as i don't seem to trust anything anymore, everytime i put the effort with my collection the website goes and i have to start again, i had to do my collection 3 times so far and i really don't want to have to do it again for a 4th time, i hope people understand my frustration.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:45:46 AM »

The only time we've really had a problem was when we had a hacker retaliation after we rooted out their PayPal scam, and we've been around for 8 years - more if you want to count the previous iteration of the site, which didn't have the collection tool.

Importing a collection that size will take time. I should know - I had to enter ~3000 pieces of my collection into the database, and I'm currently re-auditing my collection. However, allowing an import via csv is a security risk for the site that we're not willing to accept right now. If you have any suggestions about entering collection data quicker though, I'm open to it.

Suggestion: If you're going to host your own website/files, I would highly suggest backing up your data daily to an external location. We've learned our lessons here.

HUYI
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 02:25:43 PM »

Suggestion: If you're going to host your own website/files, I would highly suggest backing up your data daily to an external location. We've learned our lessons here.

have you got any ideas on what websites to use that would have the templates for a game collection?
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 02:30:04 PM »

You could always try a barcode scanner-type template. They're fairly simple to setup, and with a smartphone, you can always just scan in the game and add it. There are also quite a few sites that will handle that to varying degrees of success. If you're trying to track minute details though, it can be a pain.

EDIT: HUYI, if you'd like, I could likely manually import a CSV file into the database for you. What format do you have it in right now?

EDIT EDIT:
Protip: You can use the ID# field to search for Part #, UPC, or RFG ID# to reduce your search times.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 04:59:16 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

HUYI
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 06:41:12 PM »

i like the smartphone idea, unfortunately the software i use on my pc only exports to, .txt, xml, html not csv so i can't use that.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 06:42:34 PM »

*.txt is essentially all you need at that point.

HUYI
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 06:45:42 PM »

try with this file.

http://www.4shared.com/of...S-/collection_backup.html
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 07:13:25 PM »

Requires login Sad

HUYI
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 07:21:31 PM »

hmm, it shouldn't do, i will try to upload it somewhere else.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/etck88
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:23:57 PM by HUYI » Logged
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 07:48:32 PM »

Perfect. That file is technically comma-separated already (*.csv), so I'll see what I can do to make it work.

Fortunately/unfortunately, it's not going to add items if they're not in the database, and it's likely not going to do well on a lot of the European items due to missing region information.

For instance:
"Adventures of Lolo";"Gameboy";"Europe";"DMG-LO";"";"";"";"";"Cartridge"

The fact that it's European is great, but it was released in multiple regions - should it just pick the first European listing that's in our database?

Also:
"9mm HD";"Android";"";"";"";"2011";"Android";"";"Digital Download"

We don't support mobile platforms currently, so those will have to be tracked externally.

"36 In 1 Ganeboy Cartridge";"Gameboy";"Europe";"SH36F13";"";"";"";"";"Cartridge"

We don't support pirate cartridges either.

HUYI
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 07:53:33 PM »

Just put what you can into my collection, also i collect obsecure multicarts for gameboy, not a lot of websites support the multicarts but ah well Smiley

Also some gameboy carts were released in both regions and have the same game id code so it does get a bit confusing.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:55:10 PM by HUYI » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length