RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 07:24:55 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | What to do with a broken DS Lite? 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What to do with a broken DS Lite?  (Read 2555 times)
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« on: June 23, 2012, 10:53:47 AM »

I picked up a Coral Pink DS Lite at a garage sale for $5 today. The system plays perfectly fine but the hinge on the right side is busted off and there are some good scratches on the bottom screen. My original plan was to buy a replacement hinge, but after looking at it more closely, the whole top half of the shell on the bottom part of the unit would need replaced. A full replacement shell is $9-10 on Deal Extreme, but from what I've read there, these shells are a major pain to replace. So I basically have two options. Put $10 and a few hours into fixing this one, or selling it as is. DS Lites with broken hinges seem to be selling on ebay for $13-25.

If I do go with a replacement shell, should I go with the same color (the color itself doesn't bother me since I was planning on this being for my niece to play with, so the pink actually works out), sticking with pink also means I would only have to replace the part of the shell that is broken rather than replacing everything.
But if I go with a different shell, I could get one like these:
[img width=600 height=600]http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_18706_1.jpg[/img]
[img width=600 height=600]http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_14159_1.jpg[/img]
[img width=600 height=600]http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_13869_1.jpg[/img]

Any advice?

Hungrymoose
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 11:34:31 AM »

I would definitely go with one of those cool replacement shells.   They are cheap.  After a little time investment if you don't like it you can prolly flip it back out for a decent profit.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 01:35:54 PM »

Reshelling a DS lite isn't that difficult at all as long as you have the proper tools. I've fixed several DS' and have had no problems. I always pick up broken ones for cheap/free when I can.

NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 08:56:01 AM »

Thanks for the comments, I think I'm going for the black Nintendo World shell. Hopefully it'll be worth the extra effort.

NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 09:17:36 AM »

I love DealExtreme, I got the new shell, the trigram screwdriver and 8 new styluses for $12.07 shipped.

Hungrymoose
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:22:16 AM »

I love DealExtreme, I got the new shell, the trigram screwdriver and 8 new styluses for $12.07 shipped.
Sweet.

NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 02:32:36 PM »

Got the new shell in today and started swapping it out. It was a challenge putting it back together, after 2.5 hours near the end I was putting the ribbon cable back in and the damn thing ripped right across like tissue paper. I looked on DealExtreme, but they apparently don't sell just the cable, I'd have to buy a whole new top screen for $10. Which isn't a bad price at all, but I'm worried I'll forget how to put this thing back together in the 3-4 weeks it will take for it to get here.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 02:38:57 PM »

Yeah those little ribbon cables are always the most annoying things for me whenever I deal with a DS.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Slowman
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 06:46:50 PM »

Aww, that's too bad.  Those ribbon cables are pretty flimsy though but I suppose they have to be in order to loop through the hinge like they do.  There are a few US based sellers of DS Lite screens on eBay and this would enable you to receive it quicker.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:48:15 PM by Slowman » Logged

PSN - rswslowman
3DS - 1177-8481-5639
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length