RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 07:18:55 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | What games you would love but for that one thing? 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What games you would love but for that one thing?  (Read 2057 times)
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« on: June 12, 2012, 10:02:41 PM »

Tell us what games you think you would really like but has one thing that just ruins it for you. This could be a play mechanic, a visual style, the music, a production company that has wronged you in the past, or any number of things.

I have two games:

Fable II. I really like the first Fable, I've played through it several times and plan on doing it again soon. Fable II looks awesome to me except for one thing, it has guns. For me Fable was all about this lush fantasy world full of myth and magic. Putting guns in the second game completely ruins my suspension of disbelief. To me, it's as bad as if they had put car insurance ads in the game.

Oblivion. This game I've put more then 100 hours into. The thing that ruins what is otherwise a wonderful game is the way enemy difficulty progresses. In a RPG like this, I think enemy difficulty should be based on the quest or your location in the world. In Oblivion, as your character progresses in level, the enemies you meet are also of higher level. So on some level the battles are always about the same difficulty. Actually if you don't level your character up, you can complete much of the game just fighting easy battles. I would love it if I could level up my character and go back to easier sections and totally dominate the enemy, or need to advance my character to get to tougher parts.

What are your games?
mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 10:58:08 PM »

Hot Wheels Turbo Racing (PS1)
One of the bonus tracks (Exhaust Pipes) doesn't load, instead crashing the system and blurting out letters and numbers over the screen.
This error doesn't appear in the NTSC version.

SEGA Rally Championship 1995 (PS2)
It was only released in Japan! Luckily, I've been able to play it using FreeMCBoot and Open PS2 Loader.

SEGA Rally Championship 2 (PC)
The music doesn't play on Windows XP, Vista or 7.

Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly (PS2)
The frame rate isn't stable and it's full of glitches. The game was rushed.

There may be others, but not that I can remember.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 11:41:58 PM »

Super Mario Sunshine. I really like Mario games, but by adding Flood to this game it completely ruins it for me. Mario controls properly, and the general platforming is good, but I really don't care at all for the washing the crud mechanic. Blech.

ixtaileddemonfox
Weapon X
TurboGrafx-16

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 12:38:04 AM »

Final Fantasy XIII Hated how the main character died and it was game over. When every other ff you would just take control of another character.

aeroc
DB Contributor

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 01:26:39 AM »

Civilization V: Jon Shafer designed it.

Pokemon games, love the numbers challenge to breed and raise the best Pokemon for multiplayer competition, I have tons of charts and formulas. Why I can't play: it's not server based and people can hack perfect Pokemon.
ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 02:58:17 AM »

I would love Double Dragon (Arcade Version) if not for the awful Framerate.

[img width=300 height=70]https://image.ibb.co/fSULkF/Signature_zpsfvzatdip.png[/img]
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 08:42:27 AM »

I would love Sonic if I didn't feel like I was playing on ice. I hate the platforming mechanics/controls of the game. Maybe it is because I have been raised by Mario...

I'll echo the Oblivion comment. That is the reason I stopped playing.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 06:35:11 AM »

Wachenröder would have loved the game if it was in English.
Same probably applies to a lot of other games I've played but this one was the first to pop into my head.

Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 11:08:01 AM »

I agree with Oblivion, I'll also add that the enemies level up way to fast. I couldn't get any further because I reached a point where every single enemy felt like a boss battle.

Dead Rising, I hate the timeline system.

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 11:20:46 AM »

What is this?
Deafens Proner
Sega Genesis
Brazil

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 12:19:38 PM »

I would love Sonic if I didn't feel like I was playing on ice. I hate the platforming mechanics/controls of the game. Maybe it is because I have been raised by Mario...
I have the same opinion as you Smiley

Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »

What is this?

The system where you have to be at certain places at certain times or you can't progress, it makes you feel like your being rushed through the game.

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 01:35:21 PM »

What is this?

The system where you have to be at certain places at certain times or you can't progress, it makes you feel like your being rushed through the game.

Bully has something like this. I haven't played it much but it did sound more unfun than fun. I plan on going back and giving that mechanic a chance, although I can see it not working out.
Silent Scythe
TurboGrafx-16
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 01:57:28 PM »

Right now Bayonetta...

Cant really put my finger on what’s wrong however. I loved the Devil May Cry series and I see a lot of it in Bayonetta but something’s just off that makes me so much more frustrated. Maybe the quick time events, maybe some of the graphical effects are more hindering than cool IMO (rain, whirlpools).
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 02:47:59 PM »

What is this?

Bully has something like this. I haven't played it much but it did sound more unfun than fun. I plan on going back and giving that mechanic a chance, although I can see it not working out.

Bully doesn't even have it that bad, and if you miss something you normally can just wait for it to happen again. Dead Rising has the entire story progression based around it, and if you miss an event there's no second chances.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length