RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 09:21:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Dreamcast VGA 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dreamcast VGA  (Read 1903 times)
a_hub10
Jaguar CD

Stats
« on: May 30, 2012, 08:09:37 PM »

Does anyone here have any experience running the dreamcast with VGA on a HDTV? Is it worth the $40 it would cost me to get one? Thanks.
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 08:27:05 PM »

Id stick with S-Video its dirt cheap and works fine to provide a good picture. Plus not all games support VGA. If you are a hardcore Dreamcast player than yes it may be worthwhile. You will get a better quality picture no doubt.
a_hub10
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 08:44:11 PM »

Id stick with S-Video its dirt cheap and works fine to provide a good picture. Plus not all games support VGA. If you are a hardcore Dreamcast player than yes it may be worthwhile. You will get a better quality picture no doubt.

I would if my TV had an S-video input. I know, VGA but no S-video. lol Way to go LG. I've heard you can trick most of the games into booting in VGA. Thanks for the input Knuckles!
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 08:58:29 PM »

Ha! I have a LG T.V. and I feel your pain without the S-Video not being there. Than yes I would go for the VGA. There not cheap and it sounds like a fair deal. Beats the $100 most people want for the GameCube component cables.
a_hub10
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 09:17:50 PM »

Ha! I have a LG T.V. and I feel your pain without the S-Video not being there. Than yes I would go for the VGA. There not cheap and it sounds like a fair deal. Beats the $100 most people want for the GameCube component cables.

I can never see myself paying that much for the gamecube component cables.  I wish a third party would start making them. I was thinking of getting the vga to free up an input more than anything, with the quality being a plus. Its starting to get difficult to keep all my consoles connected simultaneously. lol
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 09:37:07 PM »

Theres a lot I wish would be made by third party companies. Unfortunately the market for some of the thing is quite small. Only weird people such as collectors would want them. Which means I'm weird...
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 10:01:34 PM »

Dreamcast VGA is gorgeous, definitely the way to go. You can burn a boot disc to get the games that don't support VGA to play in that mode if I remember correctly.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 10:10:08 PM »

The VGA box I have outputs all my games through VGA, though you can tell the difference between VGA and non-VGA supported.   As for the actual quality... Let's just say I wept bitter tears for the demise of the Dreamcast when I plugged it via VGA into my projector.  It makes anything the PS2 put out looked like N64 graphics (not exaggerating).

I can never see myself paying that much for the gamecube component cables.  I wish a third party would start making them.

I sold my Gamecube to pay for the Wii (back when the Wii was a new thing).  Last year I actually was going to repurchase a GC from Gamestop, when I noticed a used Component cable set for the Wii.  Now I get to play The Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine in 480p, which is the best way to play them, in my opinion.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
a_hub10
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 11:17:53 PM »

I sold my Gamecube to pay for the Wii (back when the Wii was a new thing).  Last year I actually was going to repurchase a GC from Gamestop, when I noticed a used Component cable set for the Wii.  Now I get to play The Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine in 480p, which is the best way to play them, in my opinion.

I agree, I only use my gamecube for the gameboy player.  Looks like I'm going vga fellas. Thanks for all the input! Adam Koralik (Youtube) says that you can boot games into vga using codebreaker.  I'll probably try that first.  

EDIT: Does anyone have any experience with the boxes racketboy sells?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:43:00 AM by a_hub10 » Logged
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 08:16:46 AM »

Oddly enough, the $38.99 VGA box on Racketboy looks almost exactly like the one I own (mine has a more greenish tint).  I bought it about six or seven years ago from EBGames for about $10.  There is a great list on the EmuParadise forums that you should check out.  It will definitely help answer some questions.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
a_hub10
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »

Oddly enough, the $38.99 VGA box on Racketboy looks almost exactly like the one I own (mine has a more greenish tint).  I bought it about six or seven years ago from EBGames for about $10.  There is a great list on the EmuParadise forums that you should check out.  It will definitely help answer some questions.

Much appreciated thank.
RobotCowhand
Donor

Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 10:11:35 AM »

I have the VGA cable (Racketboy) and not the passthrough box. The only game I have that wouldn't run through the VGA was Vigilante 8 : 2nd offence (which looking that the list above it's SUPPOSED to work). If you are looking to play the prime arcade titles on Dreamcast it's a must have, MvC2 and the various shoot em ups look stunning via VGA. Night and day.
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »

down fall some games don't work with VGA out

a_hub10
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 05:26:30 PM »

down fall some games don't work with VGA out

I'm aware.  Most of them are able to boot with a simple trick with a vga box.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length