RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 03, 2024, 12:13:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Screenshots and Variations 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Screenshots and Variations  (Read 1900 times)
aeroc
DB Contributor

WWW Stats
« on: April 13, 2012, 05:09:00 AM »

When a game variation is only a packaging variation, is it ok to submit the same screenshots for all variations (that I confirm have identical software) or is it better to avoid having redundant images across variations?
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:19:15 AM »

If you're absolutely sure there were no changes in the actual game, then I'm fine with variants sharing screenshots.
I'm just curious how many variants would actually be like that though. Since they usually only changed the packaging if something in the game changed first. Or if they needed to change the packaging and were doing another run of the game anyway, they might as well fix some things they missed the first time around.

Even seemingly insignificant changes to the packaging can signify large changes to the game. A good example I cant think of is the rerelease of SMB3, where the major packaging change was just the part number going from NES-UM-USA to NES-UM-USA-1. But a lot actually changed in the game, including stuff that is easily noticed in screenshots.

aeroc
DB Contributor

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:09:03 AM »

The only way to be absolutely certain would be to play each variation. So I'll do that when I can and avoid submitting for variations I don't have. I guess people who capture screenshots of other people's ROMs from emulators have no idea what variation they're playing.

What were noticeable changes in SMB3 rerelease's software?
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 12:09:19 PM »

The only way to be absolutely certain would be to play each variation. So I'll do that when I can and avoid submitting for variations I don't have. I guess people who capture screenshots of other people's ROMs from emulators have no idea what variation they're playing.

What were noticeable changes in SMB3 rerelease's software?

http://tcrf.net/Super_Mar...os._3/Version_differences

Card Game
One of the most famous differences between the two American versions. PRG0 is obviously grammatically wrong, as it should say Miss twice and you're out!. As there is no more space in the text box to do that, the PRG1 version simply reworded the sentence to fit it in.

Princess' Letter
In PRG0, the Princess talks about the Kuribo's Shoe. In the PRG1 version, it was renamed to Goomba's Shoe. This however was a bad choice, as the item is called Kuribo's Shoe in the game manual and practically everywhere else.

Area names
American (PRG0)   American (PRG1)
Grass Land   Grass Land
Desert Hill   Desert Land
Ocean Side   Water Land
Big Island   Giant Land
The Sky   Sky Land
Iced Land   Ice Land
Pipe Maze   Pipe Land
Castle of Koopa   Dark Land
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:11:42 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:13:19 PM »

For something very minor that almost no one would notice, let's take "The Little Mermaid" as an example:

http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=U-027-S-03770-A
http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=U-027-S-03771-A

The following legal text was removed from the packaging and title: "The Little Mermaid is a registered trademark of The Walt Disney Company."

That legal text is missing on the title screen on the re-release.

aeroc
DB Contributor

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 03:03:21 PM »

I've been cropping out the black padding my capture device puts around the screenshots I take and I noticed not everyone does this. Is either cropping or not cropping more preferable than the other for screenshots?

Is a front jewel case scan eligible to be replaced if the left/hinge area was cropped? For instance, PS1 games where the front scan is basically just the instruction manual and not the entire jewel case.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 03:40:13 PM »

I've been cropping out the black padding my capture device puts around the screenshots I take and I noticed not everyone does this. Is either cropping or not cropping more preferable than the other for screenshots?

Is a front jewel case scan eligible to be replaced if the left/hinge area was cropped? For instance, PS1 games where the front scan is basically just the instruction manual and not the entire jewel case.

Feel free to replace any images you feel are inferior. I personally like seeing the entire case, not just the window with the instruction manual.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 06:21:59 PM »

Feel free to replace any images you feel are inferior. I personally like seeing the entire case, not just the window with the instruction manual.

I've been replacing scans like that.  For a front box shot, we should scan the entire box, not just a part of it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length