RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2024, 03:20:58 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | The Automotive Thread 0 Members and 24 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: The Automotive Thread  (Read 15354 times)
Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2013, 06:39:25 PM »

Hey there,

Wanna see what a driver-side floor mat looks like after 160,000 miles:

[img width=445 height=458]http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y409/Zagnorch/Floormat_zps2508a58d.jpg?t=1380325042[/img]

Aaand the driver-side floor after 160,000 miles and just one floor mat:

[img width=410 height=529]http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y409/Zagnorch/Floor_zpsd7cb0434.jpg[/img]

Now I'm off to fetch the shop-vac and a patch kit.
Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2013, 04:03:05 PM »

You seam to have a pedal missing too

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2013, 06:16:12 PM »

It's America, we only have two pedals here.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2013, 06:18:48 PM »

It's America, we only have two pedals here.

Mustangs are about as American as possible, and mine has 3.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2013, 06:55:16 PM »

Haha, it must be stuck in the seams of his old mat!

I'll quickly remove myself from this thread now.
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2013, 09:58:08 PM »

Sadly 98% of Americans don't know how to drive a stick manual. 

Oh, and we think diesel powered vehicles are bad for some reason... Something about semi-trucks in our country keep holding us back.   
Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2013, 10:20:50 AM »

I was taking the wee wee on it being an automatic. Tbh i dont understand why the majority drive them. To me its never felf like proper driving as your not as involved in making the car move or picking what gear and stuff

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2013, 10:37:49 AM »

I was taking the wee wee on it being an automatic. Tbh i dont understand why the majority drive them. To me its never felf like proper driving as your not as involved in making the car move or picking what gear and stuff

Agree entirely. Love my manual.

Anyone have any experience with VWs? I need to get the muffler fixed and don't know if I should just hit up a Midas or take it to a specialty shop.

When shall his new form be revealed?
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2013, 12:01:28 PM »

To me its never felf like proper driving as your not as involved in making the car move or picking what gear and stuff

Probably a reason why most Americans are terrible drivers.
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2013, 12:36:14 PM »

I've been driving manual since I was 14. Back in my day things weren't much different.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2013, 03:01:02 PM »

Anyone have any experience with VWs? I need to get the muffler fixed and don't know if I should just hit up a Midas or take it to a specialty shop.

So I talked to the local specialty shop and they sound like they've got their shiz together, but did admit it will cost more...

Not sure which route I should go.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2013, 04:49:24 PM »

So I talked to the local specialty shop and they sound like they've got their shiz together, but did admit it will cost more...

By muffler do you mean just the back bit of the exhaust or the full thing? Either way anyone can fix it as they onky fix to the car by a few bolts and rubber 'springs'. or if its got a hole in it welding cwn be a bit tricky though as its thin crappy metal

Slowman
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2013, 06:36:33 PM »

Quote from: The Infinite Leon

I would just take it to a Midas because VW does not allow their parts to be manufactured by aftermarket suppliers.  You'd be getting a generic muffler at Midas which is what you'd be getting at that other shop, unless they are truly tracking down an original OEM VW part.  

-------------------

And since I have not posted in this thread yet, my wheels...

Daily driver is a 2009 Yamaha Zuma 50 2-stroke.  I got this as a gift to myself in November 2011 since I had ONLY used a bicycle for transportation that entire year.  I bought it new with the money I had saved not running a vehicle.  23 months later I have just passed 7500 miles.  I've replaced the factory exhaust with a performance exhaust and modified the carb jet needle, variator rollers and clutch springs to match, though it is not perfect and needs to be fine-tuned.  It can go 45 mph flat out if I tuck down out of the wind.  I've even done 80 mile day trips with it since 45mph on a Wisconsin country road is perfectly acceptable.  Average of 68-74 mpg depending on how hard I ride it and a few lesser variables.  Runs like a top and has been 100% reliable for every mile regardless of weather conditions, and I do ride it year round.

I do have a car now and it is a '91 Isuzu Impulse RS, gotten in September 2012.  I don't drive it often at all (especially now, read on) and only use it when going out of town really.  It is all-wheel-drive, turbo, 5 speed, 2750lbs. red, a coupe and is very fuel inefficient at ~20mpg average.  It has been modified from factory with a lowered and stiffer suspension and a newer/larger watercooled turbo (Garrett GT2554R) and all the accompanying modifications that are required by a larger turbo.  Peak pressure is set at 13.7psi since the ECU cuts fuel at 14psi.  Factory is 7psi.  Currently it needs a steering rack and I feel it is unsafe to drive.  Parts for these cars are kinda hard to find but this one is a solvable problem, I would need to take the steering rack out and send it off to be remanufactured.  Just haven't done it yet.

And I agree about manual transmissions.  Nothing can replace a clutch.  Sadly, they are in ~5% of cars sold in the US these days.  A bit tongue in cheek, but I think they should be compulsory and if you can't use one then you shouldn't be issued a driver's license.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:47:42 PM by Slowman » Logged

PSN - rswslowman
3DS - 1177-8481-5639
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2013, 06:39:53 PM »

Since we're all talking about third pedals and posting pictures of where our feet stay busy....

[img width=700 height=489]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5475/10076662535_1931669f15_o.jpg[/img]

[img width=700 height=309]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5541/10076697136_bc9726ed26_o.jpg[/img]

That third pedal is made out of steel. That's what 950,000 miles will do to it. All the lines and lettering should look like the rubber-capped pedal to the right.

Maybe this is why Zagnorch doesn't have a third pedal, he wore it off.

Oh, by the way, I have a little bit of skill in the use of a clutch   Tongue
Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2013, 07:18:08 PM »

Well, I don't understand the appeal of manual, myself. Yeah, yeah, I know; you're all wondering what the hell is wrong with me. Seriously, I don't get why having one more thing to keep track of while you're on the road is a good thing. Call me lazy, but I like to keep things simple. I'm just fine with letting it choose the gear for me. Lets me focus more on the road, and the other drivers. And believe you me, I need as much focus out there as I can get.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:33:38 PM by Zagnorch » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length