RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2024, 03:24:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | The Automotive Thread 0 Members and 29 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: The Automotive Thread  (Read 15361 times)
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 11:53:52 PM »

If your still looking to DIY just run to Harbor Freight and grab a bolt extractor set for rounded off bolts, their only a few bucks. It should be a 13mm socket you use on Ford Focus 2.0L engines. Grab a 3/8 ratchet with a long handle for extra torque to remove the overtightened bolt. 
Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »

If your still looking to DIY just run to Harbor Freight and grab a bolt extractor set for rounded off bolts, their only a few bucks. It should be a 13mm socket you use on Ford Focus 2.0L engines. Grab a 3/8 ratchet with a long handle for extra torque to remove the overtightened bolt. 

I'm just gonna let the pros do the job this time 'round.

Maybe next time.

If I keep this up, my man card's gonna be revoked for life.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 05:00:15 AM »

I spent ages trying to get the pulley off my alternator to swap it for a 6 tooth pulley. In the end I borrowed someone's impact wrench and had it off within a few seconds.

To do list on my car:

Finish mounting alternator and fit a suitable length belt.

Seal up the standard sump and fill with oil (The shortened sump someone is making for me is taking too long)

Finish the coolant hoses and fill the radiator (Just waiting for some hose reducers)

Swap the transmission oil.

Mount the new prop shaft (coming tomorrow)

Mount the clutch slave cylinder. (Still waiting for it to arrive)

Buy some petrol.

Turn the key. Cheesy Hopefully I'll have it going on Sunday, and I'll have a video if it does run.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 09:56:14 AM »

That's a good reminder - I need to pick up a bolt extractor set for the next time I run into that (didn't have one around, and we already had an appointment for another reason at the shop, so I didn't bother).

James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 02:41:07 PM »

I was planning on changing the gear box oil today. First problem...

The filler plug is exactly in line with a chassis rail. Half an inch further forward or back and it would pop right out.

[img width=525 height=700]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8503/8342323243_e7687fa079_o.jpg[/img]

So I sat and had a think.

[img width=525 height=700]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8211/8342323153_b8003d43e8_o.jpg[/img]

In the end I undid the gearbox mount and wiggled it across enough to get the plug out.

I took the drain plug out and out poured a gushing flow of, wait hang on...

[img width=700 height=525]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8222/8342323015_bc10a66479_o.jpg[/img]

Err. Hopefully it's empty because the last owners drained it before they sold the gear box. Good job I checked. I also topped up the oil in the turret.

I'm waiting for a custom made shortened sump to arrive but it wont be here in time to start the engine on Sunday. At least, I hope it won't be after all I've gone through today. I lifted the front of the car up and dropped the standard sump down. Except one corner of the engine over hangs a chassis rail and the sump wouldn't come straight down. (See HERE.) I had to lever the engine up a little so the sump dropped out.

I cleaned the sump and engine block surfaces then put a bead of sealant around the sump. Fitting is the reverse of removal. Except this time I didn't have gravity pulling the sump while I levered the engine. So I had to find someone to lever the engine while I was effin' and jeffin' on the ground trying to wedge the sump into place. I ended up covered in oil, sealant, and cuts from random sharp edges.

It's in place now so I'll get the oil in tomorrow when the sealant has set.

I also got the fuel pumps running and found that there are no leaks in the fuel system. You really don't want a leak with petrol pumping around at 45psi.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 10:38:30 AM »

Grin

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 11:32:48 PM »

Way to go James!

I feel sorry for your future ankles, as they are going to be burnt off on that exhaust and all.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 03:33:50 AM »

The one and only time dad had a ride in the car, he ended up with a massive burn on his ankle which lasted a couple of months. That was when the exhaust was on the passenger side. The problem is the exhaust exits exactly where you would put your foot down. It's going to need new levels of grace to get in and out, especially with the roof on.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2013, 04:26:47 PM »

I'm watching V8 Supercars on TV. They've made some revolutionary changes to the cars this year, such as independent rear suspension, and collapsible steering columns. As the lights turned green the commentator said "The car of the future is here!"

Muh?
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2013, 05:43:02 PM »

My truck started making a weird "banging metal" type sound the other day, so I crawled under it and poked around for a good half hour, looking for a heat shield or something else that was loose, but couldn't find anything. So I gave up until I could get a jack and more easily look around. But the next day it was even worse. Since the rear end had been leaking and I hadn't check the fluid level for over a week, I feared that it had run dry and was imploding. So I dug out the little jack for changing a tire, took the wheel off and check the fluid, it was fine. While I was there, I thought I'd check the pressure in the spare tire, and when I touched it, it moved. The stupid winch thing slipped and the tire was just loose enough to bang into exhaust pipe and a heat shield, creating the mysterious sound. All in all, spent a good 2 hours on a 30 second fix.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2013, 05:48:07 PM »

My truck started making a weird "banging metal" type sound the other day, so I crawled under it and poked around for a good half hour, looking for a heat shield or something else that was loose, but couldn't find anything. So I gave up until I could get a jack and more easily look around. But the next day it was even worse. Since the rear end had been leaking and I hadn't check the fluid level for over a week, I feared that it had run dry and was imploding. So I dug out the little jack for changing a tire, took the wheel off and check the fluid, it was fine. While I was there, I thought I'd check the pressure in the spare tire, and when I touched it, it moved. The stupid winch thing slipped and the tire was just loose enough to bang into exhaust pipe and a heat shield, creating the mysterious sound. All in all, spent a good 2 hours on a 30 second fix.

Least time is cheap.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2013, 01:13:28 PM »

Got the title for a sweet 1998 Buick Park Avenue. ~176k miles on it.
Now i just need to try and get insurance and plates.

As for the insurance...
Allstate couldn't give me an online claim (lied said i had no accidents or violations but when Aubs tried to add me to her policy a year or 2 ago they said they would not insure me lulz)

Progressive wants ~600$s for a 6 month policy if i pay now (also lied said i had no prior accidents/violations)

i think Geico was ~650 (said i had one minor violation 2-3 years ago. Which is also a lie since i think i have had 1 a year. Last one was for not being buckled.)

Liberty Mutual i didn't bother with since last time i looked at them for insurance it was more than 2x the next highest company.

The General/esurance(now an Allstate company) doesn't cover MA

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2013, 01:29:07 PM »

Jeez seems high. Think I only pay ~350 for 6 months.

When shall his new form be revealed?
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013, 12:24:06 PM »

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/3819130453.html

I'm dying laughing right now.  Someone tried to turn a '98 Neon into a Lambo.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2013, 01:11:27 AM »

Jeez seems high. Think I only pay ~350 for 6 months.

I am surprised it wasn't higher to be honest.

I get pulled over probably every 6 months for something. If not more frequently. Only 2 things showed up when i finally finished filling everything out.
One was the no belt ticket from last year and the other was a speeding ticket from 2 years ago.

Got my plates today(got fast tracked at the DMV Cheesy friends in high places paid off for once!) get to see how much gas this thing will guzzle tomorrow.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length