RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2024, 03:17:37 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Hardest videogame boss ever 0 Members and 12 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Hardest videogame boss ever  (Read 2253 times)
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« on: February 25, 2009, 04:07:35 PM »

I don't even know if there is any contest. Also, somehow that dude manages to beat it without getting hit. He seriously must have been playing the game at 1/20th the speed if that in order to pull that off.
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 06:11:38 PM »

Good lord! I'm pretty sure I got hit by about 300 of those purple things just watching this video.

I don't even see how this would be possible without playing the boss 200 times. It's obvious that you have to know exactly where to go for six straight minutes.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 06:27:59 PM »

That just doesn't look very fun.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 06:31:40 PM »

I've always wanted to play that game, but haven't had the ability to do so because i have neither a Japanese PS2 nor a swap disc for my PS2. That's going to change at the Midwest Gaming Classic! Cheesy

Also, somehow that dude manages to beat it without getting hit. He seriously must have been playing the game at 1/20th the speed if that in order to pull that off.
I might have seen him get hit once or twice, I can't tell due to the horrible resolution of that video. It is quite a feat to beat that boss without using a continue, but it certainly is possible for two reasons:

1: Your ship's hitbox is TINY. As I recall, it's a few pixels big in Mushihimesama. This means that in order to harm you, a bullet must hit the tiny area.

2: The bullet patterns are set and don't change every time you play. It is possible to navigate the bullets and avoid them, but it takes a ton of trial and error.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the fact that he beat that game, I'm just saying that it is certainly possible to do so if you're willing to work hard at it.

It looks really fun. That's why I love shmups like this one.

Here's another fun bullet hell boss:

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 06:48:18 PM »

I have played games like that were you can semingly get annihilated by shots but since only a tiny core part of your ship can get hit you survive.
Never the less i agree it does not look fun.
Just tedious.
And the fact that it is 10 minutes of nonstop shooting with what looks to be a fully maxed out uber equipped ship means trial and error wouold be even less fun beause generally you have to not die all level to maintain those kinds of goodies in a shmup.

hXd
Algebraic!
SNES
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 07:08:14 PM »

No way in hell is that real. That dude definitely got hit like 200 times and never took a single ounce of damage.

logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 07:09:09 PM »

Bullet hells make me Jizz in my Pants...

Tell me about your variants...
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 07:09:41 PM »

No way in hell is that real. That dude definitely got hit like 200 times and never took a single ounce of damage.

It is real. I've played bullet hells before. 5 pixel dead zone, for real. It's not as hard as it looks.

Tell me about your variants...
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 07:49:22 PM »

Indeed. The ONLY time you will be harmed is if the bullet touches that 5 pixel small area. Anything else is fine.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 09:14:24 PM »

Jeez, only the Japanese would come up with something that insane.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 09:26:34 PM »

Ditto.

To me, insanely difficult boss fights/moments in games just ruins it for me. Somehow I have to think of Scareface: The World Is Yours. That game is/was great and had just the right difficulty for me. I played it for quite a bit (until 60-65% I think) and then suddenly there's a mission that's just much, much harder. For those of you who have played the game, it's when you have to defend the Pizzeria and the owner of the restaurant. This guy has the worst AI ever and just walks into the line of fire instead of hiding from it. He also has a very small life bar and dies after only a few hits. Sad
Maybe I'm just really bad at that game, but when I have to do something again for the 20th time I just don't bother anymore and never play the game again.

Another example: the end boss in Jak II. For some reason I can't seem to beat him. And because of the autosave I can't go back anymore to get the purple weapon so I'm stuck there with the weaker weapons. Really annoying. Undecided
A year later I play Jak 3 and manage to beat the end boss of that game at my second attempt...couldn't they balance things more properly Huh
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 09:45:57 PM »

Too much to quote but...

There are a few other videos on youtube where other people are attempting the final boss (not on God mode, so there is no second form) and they die roughly every 3 seconds. It's absolutely ridiculous. But, like any game knowing the pattern can make games/events like this very easy. It's kind of like Contra... every single enemy is in the exact same place every single playthrough and the bosses have the exact same attack patterns. But without trial and error you are going to die, fast. And it will take forever to get the pattern down.

On the flip side, I love difficult games. Maybe I'm masochistic or something but I enjoy extremely extremely difficult games so long as they are fair.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 01:08:04 PM »

I'm all about difficult boss battles, but memorizing a six minute long pattern just doesn't do it for me.

When shall his new form be revealed?
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 01:14:25 PM »

I'm all about difficult boss battles, but memorizing a six minute long pattern just doesn't do it for me.

Exactly. It seems tedious and annoying. Video games are supposed to be fun.
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 08:56:10 AM »

I'd pay to see someone beat Triggerheart Exelica without getting hit. Absofuckinglutely impossible IMO. Unless you're Japanese. Japanese players are insane!

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length