RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2024, 11:38:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | New Hardware Classes? 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New Hardware Classes?  (Read 1510 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« on: February 24, 2009, 03:14:30 PM »

I think the Hardware classes should get broken down a bit more before the Hardware DB gets too large that this would be a much larger task.

Mostly this is just so we don't end up with thousands of things ambiguously listed under Accessory or Controller

One new category i would really like to see is Cheat Device.
That would cover all the action replays, game genies, game sharks, code breakers, etc. If people got to adding variants i could easily see those numbering in the multiple hundreds.

Breaking the Controller class down to Controllers and Light Gun classes would be cool also. Maybe even a Chassis/Add-ons class(specifically for the Wii)

Just an idea here to try and cut down on future clutter.
Similar to adding the Pong/Breakout and Music/Rhythm categories all those games use to be under action/adventure or Misc or Unique and they were really none of those things.

Thoughts? Ideas? Criticisms?

ApolloBoy
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »

I'd be in favor of adding a Cheat Device class, but breaking down the Controller class doesn't make much sense to me, considering that light guns are essentially controllers. But I can still see your point regarding clutter though.
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 05:05:26 PM »

I think the current system works well, and the existence of the Subclass field makes further classification easy, if required.

Hello World.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 05:34:34 PM »

I just feel accessory is such a catch all term

Right now Skins, Keyboards, cheat devices, modems, disk/floppy drives, face plates, point cards, fans, multiplayer adapters, magnifiers, carrying cases, AV Selectors, game storage(not as in saving devices{though there are also memory cards listed under this listing instead of the Memory/Storage one}), recharge stations, DVD remotes, cleaning kits, printers, etc, etc, etc are all lumped in there.

Plus the Subclass is not a searchable field so if someone is looking for a specific subclass item you can't find them unless you know the item you are specifically looking for.

ApolloBoy
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 06:24:08 PM »

Plus the Subclass is not a searchable field so if someone is looking for a specific subclass item you can't find them unless you know the item you are specifically looking for.
Good point.
Tan
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 06:38:48 PM »

I think in time once the hardware database expands to say, double or triple it's size, we'll want to start splitting the accessories up to curb the search results. Right now at only 430+ accessories in total, it's just not big enough yet. Especially when you narrow it down by system and don't even get a full page worth of results. I'd be surprised if all of the various cheat devices we have from all over the world even add up to 100 entries right now.

It is a fine idea though. The hardware database just isn't big enough to warrant it yet. Smiley
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 08:12:52 PM »

If it is a great idea to do in the future why not do it now?
That just means having to go back and search for all of these items to be changed later.

I know i don't have the final say in things by any means but it just seems counter productive to say lets wait till there are even more entries that will have to be changed over.

On the other hand i am glad to see you guys at least entertaining the idea Smiley

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 08:54:37 PM »

I know i don't have the final say in things by any means but it just seems counter productive to say lets wait till there are even more entries that will have to be changed over.
Izret has a point.

It's a bit like the European database that has been used as "regionwide" for so long now has to be changed to different entries for specific countries/languages. If that switch would've been made a couple of years ago, not so many entries would have to be changed now.
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 05:07:49 PM »

.....that change was made a couple years ago. It's only been recently that people have chosen to actually make use of the country fields for Europe.

Hello World.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 05:12:35 PM »

.....that change was made a couple years ago. It's only been recently that people have chosen to actually make use of the country fields for Europe.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean it in a bad way. Sad
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length