RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2024, 05:18:22 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Halo Wars 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Halo Wars  (Read 5149 times)
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« on: February 06, 2009, 10:32:49 AM »

The demo was released last night on XBL. Anyone else DL it? Impressions?

I tried out the first 2 campaign levels on Easy difficulty (because I'm new to the whole RTS genre) and found it to be a lot of fun and very user-friendly. I didn't try out skirmish mode yet, though, to see how the Covenant plays out.

I'm liking it so far. And the scoring system seems pretty cool, too. I wonder how the skulls will affect the game? Anyone heard? I've also heard that the Flood will be playable as a 3rd faction.

Looking forward to it's release. I reserved the Limited Edition. Cool

hXd
Algebraic!
SNES
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 12:10:13 PM »

I played the Skirmish and I enjoyed it, for not being a huge RTS fan. I'll have to step up the difficulty because I found Easy to be way too easy.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 01:35:20 PM »

I agree with that. But I think it's designed that way in order to appeal to newcomers to the genre (like myself). Cool.

I'll probably step it up to normal next time I play.

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »

Ensemble Studios sure can make a good game and I'm sure Halo Wars will be great if you're an RTS fan, but I still think there will be at least 15 used copies in every Gamestop in the USA a week after it comes out. Wink

"THIS ISN'T HALO!"

"HOW DO I MAKE IT FIRST PERSON?!"

I just hope it gets the RTS genre a few new fans.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Tan
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 02:32:48 PM »

I'm not a Halo fan but I do enjoy RTS titles, even on consoles. If anyone can make a decent RTS on a console, it's the kings of PC RTS gaming. I've never played a bad Ensemble game, even the DS titles are good.

The Lord of the Rings RTS wasn't too bad, but I know this one will be much better than that. Looking forward to trying this demo out when it's available to silver members.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 03:09:16 PM »

I just hope it gets the RTS genre a few new fans.

It works for me! That's one...Cool

I'm not a Halo fan but I do enjoy RTS titles, even on consoles. If anyone can make a decent RTS on a console, it's the kings of PC RTS gaming. I've never played a bad Ensemble game, even the DS titles are good.

The Lord of the Rings RTS wasn't too bad, but I know this one will be much better than that. Looking forward to trying this demo out when it's available to silver members.

That's reassuring. I hope the end product is as good/better than the demo's first impressions.

I may have to try LOTR:BFME2 again in the near future. Thanks for the feedback on that one.

You only have 1 week to wait Tan for the Silver members to get it! Cool

Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 02:09:26 PM »

I was watching my friend play it for a bit last night and I consistently let him know how awful it looked and how much better Starcraft is. Not sure if any of that is really true though, I was just trying to be a jerk.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 09:27:58 PM »

There's nothing Ensemble Studios can't do, that's for sure. This'll be a great game. Smiley
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 01:22:01 PM »

I was watching my friend play it for a bit last night and I consistently let him know how awful it looked and how much better Starcraft is. Not sure if any of that is really true though, I was just trying to be a jerk.

That's f---ed up, man. Your friend may not be one for very long if you keep that shit up. You need help.

There's nothing Ensemble Studios can't do, that's for sure. This'll be a great game. Smiley

I hope you're right! Cool

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 04:59:52 PM »

That's f---ed up, man. Your friend may not be one for very long if you keep that shit up. You need help.

Well Starcraft is better...

I personally am shocked that Bungie isn't more involved. They made some of the best RTS titles ever with the Myth series, the original Halo was supposed to be an RTS, and yet they aren't even involved.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 05:42:38 PM »

laugh Oh god please tell me your post is a huge joke. XD I'm literally laughing really hard at how stupid of a comment you made. Do you really think my friend of many years is going to care what I say about a DEMO he is playing? Do you think he's going to get angry over that? I can't honestly believe that any good friend of mine would get pissed over something like that. We aren't little kids. Oh man your post is hysterical. What type of friends do you have that would actually get pissed about something like that for an extended period of time?

Oh your god your post seriously made my year thus far as far as forum posting is concerned.

Tan
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 06:14:03 PM »

I personally am shocked that Bungie isn't more involved. They made some of the best RTS titles ever with the Myth series, the original Halo was supposed to be an RTS, and yet they aren't even involved.

I'm guessing it's because they aren't a part of Microsoft anymore. Ensemble Studios is owned by Microsoft and so is the Halo franchise. After Bungie left I think all they are responsible for now is whatever content rolls out for Halo 3.

Though I'm sure those who stayed with Microsoft instead of moving on with Bungie are probably consultants on the game.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 06:22:13 PM »

laugh Oh god please tell me your post is a huge joke. XD I'm literally laughing really hard at how stupid of a comment you made. Do you really think my friend of many years is going to care what I say about a DEMO he is playing? Do you think he's going to get angry over that? I can't honestly believe that any good friend of mine would get pissed over something like that. We aren't little kids. Oh man your post is hysterical. What type of friends do you have that would actually get pissed about something like that for an extended period of time?

Oh your god your post seriously made my year thus far as far as forum posting is concerned.

Yeah, I was trying to be subtle, but that seemed kind of like a sad little desperate fanboy thing to say, phoenix. Half of being a friend is being a jerk.

I'm guessing it's because they aren't a part of Microsoft anymore. Ensemble Studios is owned by Microsoft and so is the Halo franchise. After Bungie left I think all they are responsible for now is whatever content rolls out for Halo 3.

Though I'm sure those who stayed with Microsoft instead of moving on with Bungie are probably consultants on the game.

From what I've seen of the game, they don't got nuffin to do with it. Looks like it'll be OK, but it's inside the box of mediocrity.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 06:23:45 PM by The Maligned Leon » Logged

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 10:11:32 AM »

...I consistently let him know how awful it looked and how much better Starcraft is. Not sure if any of that is really true though, I was just trying to be a jerk.

...Do you think he's going to get angry over that? I can't honestly believe that any good friend of mine would get pissed over something like that. We aren't little kids...

Since your age wasn't in your profile, and because you felt the need to write exactly what you did, I jumped to the conclusion you might have been (a kid). Obviously, I was mistaken and would've been better off ignoring your post. My bad on that x 2. Lesson learned. Tongue

No doubt that Starcraft is legendary for being one of the best PC RTSs available. However, since PC RTSs have been around for many years, they'll always have an advantage on console RTSs since to consoles it's such a new genre. And since I've never been into high end PC gaming, my perspective on RTSs will be different than most when it comes to evaluating console RTSs...right or wrong I flat out won't compare them to those on PCs.

That being said, and whether or not HW is "mediocre" from the perspective a PC RTS gamer, from what I've seen and played of HW...I like. A PC RTS gamer might not, but that's why you'd own a PC and a copy of Starcraft in the first place, right? Cool

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 03:32:19 PM »

...I consistently let him know how awful it looked and how much better Starcraft is. Not sure if any of that is really true though, I was just trying to be a jerk.

...Do you think he's going to get angry over that? I can't honestly believe that any good friend of mine would get pissed over something like that. We aren't little kids...

Since your age wasn't in your profile, and because you felt the need to write exactly what you did, I jumped to the conclusion you might have been (a kid). Obviously, I was mistaken and would've been better off ignoring your post. My bad on that x 2. Lesson learned. Tongue

No doubt that Starcraft is legendary for being one of the best PC RTSs available. However, since PC RTSs have been around for many years, they'll always have an advantage on console RTSs since to consoles it's such a new genre. And since I've never been into high end PC gaming, my perspective on RTSs will be different than most when it comes to evaluating console RTSs...right or wrong I flat out won't compare them to those on PCs.

That being said, and whether or not HW is "mediocre" from the perspective a PC RTS gamer, from what I've seen and played of HW...I like. A PC RTS gamer might not, but that's why you'd own a PC and a copy of Starcraft in the first place, right? Cool

Starcraft is not high end PC gaming. It looks like crap these days; but it still plays amazingly.

Also, my saying that was just a little jab at your silly comment at Shimra.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length