RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 06:05:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Limited/Collector's Editions...what convinces you to buy it? 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Limited/Collector's Editions...what convinces you to buy it?  (Read 6445 times)
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« on: January 14, 2009, 11:37:49 AM »

Just a general discussion.

I'm usually not inclined to get a limited/collector's edition for a game when it comes out. For me to do so, it would have to have a LOT of content that you couldn't get otherwise. And with most limited/collector's editions that are due to come out (i.e. Street Fighter 4, Halo Wars, RE5), the price is about $20 over that of the regular edition.

Lately, I've been thinking like a capitalist and about selling the additional content portion of LE/CE games on ebay to offset the cost of the purchase. I recently saw an ebay auction of the Exclusive DLC Card from Fable 2 selling for over $20 and the light bulb went off regarding the next time I may want to get a LE/CE version of a game.

So what sells you to buy a LE/CE of a game? Exclusive DLC? Art books? "Making of" DVDs? A figure?

Tan
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 12:08:51 PM »

I find each CE/LE is different in terms of gauging it's worth. Prey for example, has an art book + 2 pewter figures that with the pre-order bonus figure makes a nice set. It was only $10 more and totally worth it. Mass Effect LE has all kinds of fun stuff in the box as well as the bonus disc that has music, themes and gamerpics. Forza 2 LE has a 150 page book plus bonus cars in a download voucher.

Ironically most of mine are for the X360. This generation it seems they piss them out weekly. Interviews and crap like that should be on the regular versions as far as I'm concerned. You watch them once and never touch that second disc again. Hardly worth $10-20 for that.

$10 more has to have really nice packaging and extra gameplay content. $20 has to have lots of swag, gameplay content and literature of some kind (book/map/comic).
Swamperon
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 12:11:38 PM »

Hmmm, I suppose it depends on how much I'm into the game. If it was part of a series I really like I'd be more willing to part with my money.

These days you quite often see Special editions which just have a an extra cardboard sleeve around the gamecase, these always seemed rather pointless to me. Artbooks, Cd's and extra content I'm quite happy with.
Moriya Hanzo
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 12:16:36 PM »

never buy them, unless i find them on the cheap.

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 01:52:22 PM »

I don't have any Limited or Collector's editions (mainly because I've just gotten into this generation with the X360, and there wasn't a lot offered before this gen), but if I was to get one, I would have to be getting something physical. Something they may be a true collector's item in 15-20 years. Something like an action figure, not just a "making of" DVD or commentary videos. And it would have to only be $10-20 more than the regular version.

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 02:19:45 PM »

I'll only buy a special edition if I think the bonus items are cool enough to warrant whatever the extra cost might be. The only SE I own is Metal Gear Solid 4 on the PS3 because it came with a bonus Blu-ray disc with over 2 hours of behind-the-scenes footage and interviews, as well as a CD with some of the game's music on it. To me, that was worth the extra $25 or so because I'm such an MGS whore.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 02:49:42 PM »

The fact that it says limited or collectors or premium or whatever other word they can think of across the top.

Yea thats really pretty much it.
If i can't afford it at the time i will hold off or buy a "standard" edition and hope to find a "upgraded" version later.

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 04:40:19 PM »

I pretty much only buy Collector's/LE when the game in question happens to be something I really dig on. And anything from Namco's Tales series falls into that category. Mainly pay my premiums for RPGs.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Haoie
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 04:21:27 AM »

I don't.

With the notable exception of Lunar Eternal Blue.

Hey, I just couldn't resist the pendant!!

If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 05:14:49 AM »

I don't buy them. Whenever I see them I just can't help but think they quickly added some stuff to up the price a bit.

Besides the fact that I think they're not worth it, sometimes I'd pay the collector's edition price for the regular version just because the collector's edition is aweful. For example: that Steel case Bioshock. Yuck! I'd much rather have a plastic case that doesn't scratch the rest of my games/shelves.

Also, I tend to grow tired of a game quite quickly (often before I finish it) so the standard version is always good enough for me.

And lastly, I'm not into gaming for the money so I would never buy a collector's edition for €70 thinking "Hmmm, in 2019 this might be worth €150."

I just want to play the game on the disk. Wink
ga5ket
DB Editor
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 11:01:27 AM »

This, exactly, but I do pick the collectors editions up if I find them used at a good price

Tan
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 11:29:43 AM »

That's where it pays to research each LE/CE before they come out. Some have content on them unavailable to regular versions that's available right from the beginning of the game. Or content that for an extra $10, is cheaper on disc than the $15-20 or more you'll pay buying it piece meal through downloads.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 12:28:06 PM »

^Agreed.

One of the things that's keeping me wary of buying the SF4 LE/CE is that they haven't specified what will be contained in the DLC that they're including.

On the other hand, with Halo Wars, if the game itself lives up to the hype, I'm thinking of getting it for the DLC cards (early code for 3 new Halo 3 maps, code for Halo Wars exclusive content) and eBaying them off. Cool

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 12:35:30 PM »

Never bought one.

When shall his new form be revealed?
modest9797
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 05:12:50 PM »

I only buy LE for games I really like, for example, Bioshock.  But I will only buy special editions for games that cost the same either way.  (Like Madden 07 Hall of Fame Edition)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length