RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2024, 07:23:44 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | What is your job now? 0 Members and 28 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: What is your job now?  (Read 23921 times)
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2012, 03:40:37 PM »

Just earned by Bachelor's of Networking and am looking to start my career.  Not much luck.  While there is a ton of IT jobs in the Detroit area, 99% are for experienced folk only, so the competition is fierce for anything entry-level.

Currently I work as a lowly PC Technician/Receiver at a computer remarketing company.  While the pay isn't great at all, I get first pick at a ton of computer and other fun stuff.  I also work on the side fixing computers, which has been slowly drying up over the past few years, as most of my customers have migrated to either Windows 7 or Linux.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2012, 05:41:46 PM »

Just earned by Bachelor's of Networking and am looking to start my career.

Neat. Do you have your CCNA? I did the exam once and scored 73%, which was a fail. I needed to get 84% to pass, I believe. My theoretical knowledge was fine, but as it turned out I hadn't practiced (memorized) the actual configuring enough, which is how I lost most of my points (the simulation questions). Sad

I have a Bachelor in IT and am now working towards getting a Master, hopefully, next year. I'm currently having exams (last one is the 26th) and things are looking good so far. Next year won't be easy though, as I still have to write my entire thesis.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2012, 03:09:54 PM »

I work in a law firm as a paralegal and use to do secured commercial transactional/bankruptcy/foreclosure work.  Just made a lateral move to medical malpractice.....this should be interesting.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2012, 10:35:40 AM »

As of last month, I'm a "Field Technician" aka Laborer for a stream and wetlands mitigation and restoration company based in Pittsburgh, PA. Basically, I do the hard dirty work that can't be done with machines like planting trees and other plants, removing cattails from wetlands, installing various types of erosion control devices, and whatever else the boss decides needs to be done.
Its brutal physical work but the pay is decent and I'm hoping I can use it as a stepping stone to better things before too long.

InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2012, 05:05:57 PM »

After nearly 5 generally terrible years as a computer repair person at a certain big box chain whose computer repair people wear stupid black and white uniforms, I am now working as a support tech, auditor and occasional programmer for IBM. I work on a team that builds and services machines for a large financial company. It's pretty neat, and offers a great insight to a few different professional worlds. More than anything, I'm glad to be away from my last job. Smiley

Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2012, 02:15:17 PM »

i work for the police. normally deal with the emergency calls but also everything else anyone can think to ring the police about. but at the moment ,due to ongoing problems with my new boss, im in firearms licensing. which is as boring as it sounds.

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2012, 02:42:05 PM »

My main job is a house-husband and stay-at-home dad for our boys.  I also work part time at a local game store, play in a local band, and serve as a counselor and theology teacher.  I'm also a pastor/elder at our church, and I'm slowly working on a writing career.

It makes for a rather full week. Wink

Keelah se'lai
Barracuda
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »

I am also a house-husband and stay-at-home dad. Although I wouldn't mind finding something part time to get some adult interaction.

Techie413
We need to talk about your flair.
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2012, 06:08:02 PM »

I am a former Sergeant in the Army Signal Corps (Airborne).  Never went to college.  The Army taught us how to install a network while out in the woods, with gas masks donned, and pretending someone was shooting at us.  That was a much more interesting way to learn.  I jumped between Ft Bragg, NC and South Korea for years, until I decided to lose the pickle suit.  But I stayed in Korea, in the central Network Operation Center, for a few more years as a government contractor, before heading back to the US. 

I've been back in my hometown for almost 7 years now, and working as a Central Office Tech for a Telco/Internet provider.  I maintain a total service area of about 800 square miles with a limited number of techs.  Makes for busy times and a lot of overtime, but the pay is good and I don't have to wear a uniform.  But, as Randall says in Clerks, "This job would be great, if it wasn't for the f$#@ing customers."

Munter
N-Gage
Japan

WWW Stats
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2012, 06:37:22 AM »

I'm a translator but also do a lot of teaching and proofreading
Barracuda
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2012, 01:50:33 PM »

I am now a part time route driver for a local frozen pizza company. It works out good as it allows me to still be a full time stay-at-home dad.

OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2012, 04:58:17 PM »

Still a factory slave.  Window factory, glass room.

it's thinking
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2012, 07:59:56 PM »

I work in a liquor store. Here in Ontario, Canada alcohol is government regulated so all liquor is purchased through the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO).

This means that prices are high, but at least the prices are set in stone.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2012, 10:14:08 PM »

I work in a liquor store. Here in Ontario, Canada alcohol is government regulated so all liquor is purchased through the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO).

This means that prices are high, but at least the prices are set in stone.

Funny true story; when my love and I were vacationing in Canada, we searched out some Japanese Plumb wine (the only type of wine I've ever tasted and liked) but because we're from the States, we had no idea about the LCBO.  We couldn't find where to buy wine until bringing it up to a classic game store owner we sought out, who told us where an LCBO was, and I had to ask the salesperson what LCBO actually meant.  ;P

Silly tourists.

Keelah se'lai
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »

I am an IT Manager for a group of Orthopaedic Surgeons.  (Please don't sue us, banana)

Former employee of:
Babbages, FuncoLand, Sony Theater, Toys R Us, Best Buy, Circuit City, Dunkin Donuts, Shop Rite, The Wall, Ultimate Audio and Video, Newtown Police Station, OrthoNet, and Walt Disney World but not in that order.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length