RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 27, 2024, 05:08:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Dragon Quest X announced for Wii. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Quest X announced for Wii.  (Read 2836 times)
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« on: December 12, 2008, 07:37:04 PM »

http://kotaku.com/5106136...gon-quest-x-coming-to-wii

That's unexpected and somewhat awesome. While the Wii does have a pretty good variety of games it had no RPGs worth noting. Uh, this is actually really really unexpected IMO.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 08:13:23 AM »

Not that surprised by this.

Square already decided to toy with us and release Dragon Quest 9 on the DS and now they're doing the same with #10. Sad

To save developing costs, I'm sure.
Silent Scythe
TurboGrafx-16
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 08:26:28 AM »

Can't wait, for some reason I've been addicted to the Dragon Quest series lately.
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 04:46:38 PM »

Not that surprised by this.

Square already decided to toy with us and release Dragon Quest 9 on the DS and now they're doing the same with #10. Sad

To save developing costs, I'm sure.

I doubt that is the case. Dragon Quest is the most profitable series in Japan, I'm sure they don't really need to save money. From what I understand, the lead developer wanted to utilize the Wii's controls or something like that and he doesn't care at all about graphics.

Also, speaking of graphics Persona 4 is getting ridiculously good reviews and it just come out for the PS2. No idea why that series isn't moving on to next gen, they'd make more money.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 06:59:53 AM »

I doubt that is the case. Dragon Quest is the most profitable series in Japan, I'm sure they don't really need to save money. From what I understand, the lead developer wanted to utilize the Wii's controls or something like that and he doesn't care at all about graphics.
Maybe...but they're saving a ton of money anyhow. The Wii's hardware is similar to last gen's, and so is the DS hardware. So they can still use an engine similar to the one from Dragon Quest 8. Having to create such a big game in HD is much more labor-intensive, that's just simple.

Also, speaking of graphics Persona 4 is getting ridiculously good reviews and it just come out for the PS2. No idea why that series isn't moving on to next gen, they'd make more money.
I'm not too sure about that. More people own a PS2 than a PS3/360/Wii and when a good PS2 RPG like Persona 4 comes out in Japan it outsells all next gen games without breaking a sweat.

Btw: it's not because I think the DQ10 thing is to save costs that I'm against it. I personally just don't like the Wii's controllers, so seeing a game that I'd enjoy a lot go to the Wii is a dissapointment for me.
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 04:11:56 PM »

Eh, most good games don't really user the motion sensors too motion (Mario Galaxy being a fantastic example). Also...

Next mainline Tales of game is heading to the Wii.
Rajaat the Warbringer
CD-i
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 07:21:25 AM »

Definitely looking forward to both Dragon Quest IX and X.

But I'm even more excited that we're getting remakes of DQ V and VI!

There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.

--Moby Dick
Rajaat the Warbringer
CD-i
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 07:23:41 AM »

Btw: it's not because I think the DQ10 thing is to save costs that I'm against it. I personally just don't like the Wii's controllers, so seeing a game that I'd enjoy a lot go to the Wii is a dissapointment for me.

Some Wii games let you use a normal style controller too(it's almost like an SNES controller), you might want to look into those Wink

There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.

--Moby Dick
Silent Scythe
TurboGrafx-16
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 07:49:18 AM »

Next mainline Tales of game is heading to the Wii.

Looks like I"ll be playing my Wii more often soon.
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 07:43:01 PM »

Yeah, I'm honestly pretty excited about this info. I considered getting a Wii simply for Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess (then picking up a few of the party type games like Mario Kart and Brawl) but I couldn't particularly justify buying a system for two games (that I don't need to play with friends to get the most out of) plus no RPGs. I may have to keep my eye on the Wii and see what else heads its way.
chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 12:04:13 PM »

no rpgs at all?  what about Fire Emblem?

i like this move, since DQ bases its graphics off of hand-drawn models, i cant imagine the 360 or PS3 improving the look of DQ VIII very much
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 12:08:24 PM »

i cant imagine the 360 or PS3 improving the look of DQ VIII very much
Good point.
jcalder8
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 01:02:56 PM »

i like this move, since DQ bases its graphics off of hand-drawn models, i cant imagine the 360 or PS3 improving the look of DQ VIII very much
It's not the graphics that I'll miss by it being on the Wii and not one of the other systems. It's any kind of DLC or good online play that will be my biggest disappointment.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 01:49:13 PM »

It's any kind of DLC or good online play that will be my biggest disappointment.
Do you really need DLC for a DQ game? There wasn't any for DQ8 but that didn't prevent people from loving that game. Nor was there online play.
chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 01:50:21 PM »

downloadable content that has to be paid for can bite me.  and online play for an rpg has always been a minor distraction at best
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length