RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 16, 2024, 12:11:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The Last Remnant 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The Last Remnant  (Read 3273 times)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« on: November 25, 2008, 04:50:14 PM »

This looks like a nice (but not amazing) JRPG from Square. I'm glad they've come up with a new IP, it gives space for developers to come up with something new.

Although the combat might look like any JRPG's, it actually features some nice things, mainly that you control more people than a standard "party" and can command them in groups of up to 5 characters at once. You can really get into the system and set the units in different formations, etc...

The game has very nice graphics with both environments and character/enemy models looking nice. It does has some pop-up problems, but I don't see that being a big issue for a Turned Based RPG.

I don't think everyone should get this game, but RPG fans will definitely get some enjoyment out of this (quite long) game. Smiley

GT's Review:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43106.html
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 04:55:54 PM »

Hmm.... looks good.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 05:13:50 PM »

Hmm.... looks good.
Yup, not that bad at all. Smiley

I'm guessing that you'll either love the game or think it's completely worthless. (Which is the case for many RPG's, in a sense)
Kimoosabi
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 03:37:01 PM »

Seems like it's getting hammered in most of the reviews, the major complaint seems to be crippling technical issues. Disappointing coming from Square-Enix, who you used to be able to rely on for a highly polished product.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 06:26:47 PM »

Seems like it's getting hammered in most of the reviews
I'm getting the feeling many of the reviewers are just a sad bunch of frustrated gamers. So many games are getting "hammered" these days when they deserve much more than that.

I'm having the feeling reviewers feel urged to give games with some flaws very bad scores to show how "good" or "demanding" reviewers they are. So unless it's a Triple A title that is perfect in every way, it's not even worth playing so we'll just give it a 5/10.

Just because a game has some technical issues doesn't make it a terrible game all of a sudden, especially when those technically issues don't interfere with the non-real-time gameplay of a game. Atleast that's my opinion.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 10:12:17 AM »

The launch trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43030.html
jackttt
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 11:12:47 PM »

For you guys wanting the xbox360 version .You btter not buying it if you dont ahve a premium set i head its unplayable without install due to the framerate problem.
Tan
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 11:37:44 PM »

RPGs on the X360, I've played and beaten Oblivion, Mass Effect, Enchanted Arms, Fable II, Fallout 3, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and Two Worlds. The only game that didn't have glitches, bugs and technical flaws was Enchanted Arms. Every other game has had it's share of issues from stuttering to locking up the system completely.

Reviewers tend to nitpick technical flaws when they need material for their articles. I've yet to encounter a game on the X360 that has caused me as much headaches as Oblivion did. Sometimes it would lock up the system every 15 minutes, even if I did the whole "delete the cache" trick or the swap several discs every once in a while trick or the careful item management to prevent overbuffer etc etc etc.

My point is, place little value in what reviewers choose as negative points. They seem to hold game consoles to a double standard when a game console can be compared to a PC yet it's games have to be technically flawless when PC games are far from it. Makes for unfair and biased reviews.

Besides, framerate problems are an issue with the game engine and GPU. Installing the game on the HDD may go easier on the disc drive but it won't do the GPU any favors.
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 03:59:17 PM »

I hear from gamefaqs (don't flame me for posting there...) That it is mediocre, but still better than Infinite Undiscovery. I haven't played any of the next gen JRPGs (other than what's on the DS and PSP), but I'd go with Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, and in the near future Star Ocean 4 and FFXIII.

The JRPG genre just isn't as stacked as it was last generation for some reason.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 04:15:49 PM »

Valkyria Chronicles almost has me interested.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Tan
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 04:36:57 PM »

I really wanted to like this game but the pace of the combat is way too slow for me.

I think the biggest problem with The Last Remnant is that between it, Lost Odyssey and Infinite Undiscovery, you have three JRPGs that weren't marketed well as individual and unrelated titles and released in a short span of each other. I see people confusing them all the time.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 09:28:27 AM »

I think the biggest problem with The Last Remnant is that between it, Lost Odyssey and Infinite Undiscovery, you have three JRPGs that weren't marketed well as individual and unrelated titles and released in a short span of each other. I see people confusing them all the time.
You have a point.

I don't the the JPRG fans will mind, though. They've probably finished all 3 of them by now. Wink
Kimoosabi
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 09:45:38 AM »

I hear from gamefaqs (don't flame me for posting there...) That it is mediocre, but still better than Infinite Undiscovery.

Hmm, interesting, I actually quite enjoyed Infinite Undiscovery despite the subpar reviews, so maybe I'll give Last Remnant a second look.
Wolfman Walt
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 04:38:13 PM »

I really wanted to like this game but the pace of the combat is way too slow for me.

Guess it's not first person enough. Valkyria Chronicles made my top 10 for the year list.

Tan
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 05:08:05 PM »

Guess it's not first person enough. Valkyria Chronicles made my top 10 for the year list.

FPS isn't particularly high on my list of favorite genres but that's not the point. I just found the menus, switching back and forth from the battlefield, all breaks up the flow of the game and slows it down. Or maybe it's because the complexity of strategy and presentation, outweighs the relatively simplistic combat far too much. I see the potential and merit of this hybrid genre, but I think they could've done a better job of it.

I like strategy titles, but this one feels unfinished. Maybe a sequel will address some of the things I didn't like.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length