RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 27, 2024, 08:15:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Your 5 Favorite "this-gen" games. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Your 5 Favorite "this-gen" games.  (Read 5773 times)
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 09:43:17 PM »

Because I can't come up with 5 definitive ones, here's my choices for consoles. I haven't really thought about handheld games yet.

Disc-based:
1. LittleBigPlanet
2. Burnout Paradise
3. Metal Gear Solid 4
4. No More Heroes
5. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Fallout 3 may get a spot on there. I need to play it more.

Downloadable:
1. Bionic Commando Rearmed
2. Super Stardust HD
3. Mega Man 9
4. PixelJunk Eden
5. Everyday Shooter

This has got to be one of the best eras in gaming. There's so much reinvention and innovation going on right now, it's ridiculous.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 09:46:33 PM by Tondog » Logged

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 07:25:59 AM »

This has got to be one of the best eras in gaming. There's so much reinvention and innovation going on right now, it's ridiculous.
It's funny how you say that while many others here think the exact opposite.
Tan
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 07:54:24 AM »

I've always found that most gamers have two or three main time-frames that they believe are the best gaming. One is the special time you spent as a kid with your first system or systems and the second is when you've gained your independence so you've got disposable income to buy many games that catch you eye. The third where it applies, is the time you spend with your kids where generations come together to game for the first time.

I'm finding certain genres are the best ever in this generation like racing and RPGs, but overall there is a cold Hollywood/businesslike feeling to these latest systems and few truly classic timeless games released.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 07:56:53 AM by Tan » Logged
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 08:02:42 AM »

I'm finding certain genres are the best ever in this generation like racing and RPGs, but overall there is a cold Hollywood/businesslike feeling to these latest systems and few truly classic timeless games released.
Once too much money gets involved...
ga5ket
DB Editor
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 11:42:07 AM »

For me it'd have to be

1. Metal Gear Solid 4, just cuz...
2. Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction, gorgeous to look at and huge weapons. Do you need more?
3. Mario Kart Wii
4. 1942: Joint Strike, I loves me a shmup
5. Nothing else has made it to the list yet. Ask me tomorrow when I've got Tomb Raider Underworld

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 06:07:42 AM »

2. Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction, gorgeous to look at and huge weapons. Do you need more?
I was wondering when somebody was going to list that game.

I'd love it if I had a PS3, I've always loved the PS2 era 3D Platformers and ToD has just the same feeling. Guess most people aren't into platformers anymore.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 09:21:19 AM »

I was wondering when somebody was going to list that game.

I'd love it if I had a PS3, I've always loved the PS2 era 3D Platformers and ToD has just the same feeling. Guess most people aren't into platformers anymore.

Imo, platformers are somewhat of a dying breed. With all that is available in the form of rhythm games, rpgs, shooters, action/adventure, etc. the appeal of the platformer has waned considerably. Those who are still into this genre are likely to be more inclined to put the time into them and get more enjoyment out of them.

If you like platformers and have XBL, check out Braid. It's an excellent throwback to 2D platforming, with excellent graphics, music, art style, and gameplay.

cant-grow-up
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2008, 09:59:13 PM »

I've always found that most gamers have two or three main time-frames that they believe are the best gaming. One is the special time you spent as a kid with your first system or systems and the second is when you've gained your independence so you've got disposable income to buy many games that catch you eye. The third where it applies, is the time you spend with your kids where generations come together to game for the first time.

Couldn't agree more, I feel certain genres almost need the power of todays systems (example: Sim style Racing Games, Flight Sims) but overall there is an almost complete lack of anything truly innovative in the more senior genres. Graphics and hype are what its all about today not innovation, or originality.

remembering the old times of late nights with the genesis
[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/cant-grow-up.png[/img]
wishlist:Pico-3DO-Jaguar-Nomad-Xbox-NES
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2008, 06:46:32 AM »

Couldn't agree more, I feel certain genres almost need the power of todays systems (example: Sim style Racing Games, Flight Sims) but overall there is an almost complete lack of anything truly innovative in the more senior genres. Graphics and hype are what its all about today not innovation, or originality.

Certainly feels that way doesn't it?

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length