RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2024, 09:47:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | PlayStation 3 debate "Round 2" 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: PlayStation 3 debate "Round 2"  (Read 3034 times)
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 01:12:30 PM »

I just resent the fact that they decided to force-feed Blu-Ray technology into the price of the PS3.

Kinda like how the PS2 force-fed DVD technology into the price? And what do you mean you can't utilize it?
The Blu-Ray format is Sony-proprietary...they didn't have to go Blu-Ray this gen, but they decided to do so to push the format to the consumer. So if you wanted a PS3, you're paying a premium for it when compared to DVD technology.
Blu-ray is not proprietary and it never was. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Tan
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 01:21:24 PM »

Personally, I'm contemplating a PS3 solely for the PS1 emulation ability alone. Soon I'll have 270+ PS1 games and not even close to enough memory cards to use them. A 160GB HDD for memory saves is just what I need at this point and probably cheaper than buying another 50 or so 1st party PS1 mem cards if you include shipping, gas, fees and time searching. Tongue

Though I'm with Phoenix on the library. The system has been out for 2 years now and other than $15-18 bargain bin titles, only one game has interested me new (Valkyria Chronicles).
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 01:22:15 PM »

Blu-ray is not proprietary and it never was. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
I thought that as well.

You could also say DVD's are "Philips-proprietary" because they developed them. But we don't really look at them as Philips products but rather as something that stands alone.

The next-gen (Why am I using the words "next-gen" so much? Tongue) disc battle is still fresh in our memories but in a few years time we won't look at Blu-ray as a Sony product anymore.

Besides; HD-DVD was just as much a "proprietary" product. But of Toshiba instead of Sony.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 01:58:05 PM »

First I've heard of this. However, even if Blu-Ray is not proprietary, it still is a cost adder to the PS3 when compared to DVD. And therefore it is still technology I don't feel like paying for because I won't be getting the requisite use out of it (i.e. Blu-Ray movies) due to both my current TV setup and the games I prefer to play. Drop the PS3 to under $200 and I'll think about it. 

Wolfman Walt
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 02:27:49 PM »

And the PS2 is costlier than the PS1 because of DVD. You still own one of those so your argument is abit hypocritical.

Also - your 360 presents things in HD which was forced on you. Technically, you shouldn't have bought that either since you can't use it properly.

what's the logic in that?
Again - pricing. It's cheap and easy to emulate PS1 games so that can be added on with no problem. PS2 games would add another 100 or so dollars to the price. People want it as cheap as possible so they dropped the PS2 backwards compatibility to meet market demands.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 03:22:31 PM »

And the PS2 is costlier than the PS1 because of DVD. You still own one of those so your argument is abit hypocritical.

Also - your 360 presents things in HD which was forced on you. Technically, you shouldn't have bought that either since you can't use it properly.

I didn't buy the PS2 for the DVD player just like I'm not going to be buying the PS3 for the Blu-Ray player. I got the PS2 towards the end of the last gen because at that time it was cheap enough to buy and there were enough games I wanted for it. It's going to be no different this gen with PS3...when it drops significantly in price.

The 360 didn't deliberately inflate the cost of the console by adding a Blu-Ray player to present games in HD like the PS3 does. And at the time I bought my 360, I actually could maximize the resolution capabilities from the 360 since my TV is 720p/1080i. However, they did upgrade the 360's capabilities to broadcast in 1080p, so in hindsight I probably should've waited a little while longer before buying my TV and 360. But none of this changes the fact that I've always preferred the 360's library of games.

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 10:29:04 PM »

This argument is silly. I mean the difference between DVD & VHS is astronomical. The visual & audio difference could be seen and heard by anyone. Even on an old black & white TV. No more flicker, no more tapes getting chewed up. You had something that was better in every way.

Why would you complain when your new system charged you a little more and gave you this great technology.

Now lets fast forward to today. Now I want someone to sell me Blu-ray. What is SO much better about it and why should I pay more for a system to use it?

Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 10:53:33 PM »

Hi.
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 11:13:05 PM »

Hi.

AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA... *wipes tear away* laugh

Anyway, the PS3 kicks major butt, and the only thing keeping it out of my grasp is the price tag. That's it. And the fact that I have shit for a TV. Standard-def PS3? I think not. What a waste.

This argument is silly. I mean the difference between DVD & VHS is astronomical. The visual & audio difference could be seen and heard by anyone. Even on an old black & white TV. No more flicker, no more tapes getting chewed up. You had something that was better in every way.

Why would you complain when your new system charged you a little more and gave you this great technology.

Now lets fast forward to today. Now I want someone to sell me Blu-ray. What is SO much better about it and why should I pay more for a system to use it?

The difference on a good quality bluray encode is amazing. Go into an electronics store, and they will (usually) have a tv with blueray next to a dvd-tv. You can see and hear the difference.

Tell me about your variants...
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 11:49:02 PM »

Hi.

AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA... *wipes tear away* laugh

Anyway, the PS3 kicks major butt, and the only thing keeping it out of my grasp is the price tag. That's it. And the fact that I have shit for a TV. Standard-def PS3? I think not. What a waste.

The difference on a good quality bluray encode is amazing. Go into an electronics store, and they will (usually) have a tv with blueray next to a dvd-tv. You can see and hear the difference.

Yes, Blu-Ray is noticeably awesome. That aside, if I were buying a console the PS3 appealed to me BECAUSE IT CAME WITH NEW TECHNOLOGY. The 360 is and always will be X-Box 1.5, the PS3 is this generations only truly next-gen system--if you want it you have to pay for it.

When shall his new form be revealed?
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 01:15:41 AM »

the PS3 is this generations only truly next-gen system

Not true, a "generation" is simply defined by a time frame, not technology. All 3 consoles are existing in the same time frame. Looking at the previous gen, the Game Cube had significantly less capabilities, but it was still part of the same generation as the PS2 and Xbox 1.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 01:35:10 AM »

Not true, a "generation" is simply defined by a time frame, not technology. All 3 consoles are existing in the same time frame. Looking at the previous gen, the Game Cube had significantly less capabilities, but it was still part of the same generation as the PS2 and Xbox 1.

I don't care how you define it. When I look at this generation I see the PS3, the X-Box 1.5, and the Wii. The X-Box has games that my PC can run better, the Wii is completely off the map, has been since I first laid eyes on it. The PS3 is full of hardware that is truly "next-gen" technology from the last gen. It is the only system I have considered buying, it is the only one that seems worth it.

That said, I am no more likely to buy it than you are until it is cheap as balls.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 01:44:24 AM »

Well I'm glad some people can see a major difference. Because while I could hear and see the difference between DVD & VHS. I can't hear any difference between Blu-ray and DVD. Visually, a little sharper and more detailed. Hardly worth the price tag of a player or the disks in comparison to a DVD.

As far as the systems themselves go, none of them have really been of a great interest.
I would rather get a Zeebo

Tan
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2008, 04:09:01 AM »

I don't care how you define it. When I look at this generation I see the PS3, the X-Box 1.5, and the Wii. The X-Box has games that my PC can run better, the Wii is completely off the map, has been since I first laid eyes on it. The PS3 is full of hardware that is truly "next-gen" technology from the last gen. It is the only system I have considered buying, it is the only one that seems worth it.

That said, I am no more likely to buy it than you are until it is cheap as balls.

And as time goes on and Sony tries to replicate the success of their first two consoles, they strip features and pieces away one at a time as each model comes out with a game library barely keeping it's head above water compared to the other two. Doesn't help that all of this "new technology" isn't doing shit for making better games or easier programming. I almost hear another Dreamcast in the making.

Other than the Blu-Ray and Cell CPU, it has the same level of off the shelf parts or modified PC parts that the X360 uses.
Wolfman Walt
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2008, 04:58:00 AM »

barely keeping it's head above water compared to the other two

How does one define "barely"? There have been 16.84 million PS3's sold worldwide as compared to 22 Million 360's sold worldwide. That's a disparity of about 5 million units. Considering the 360 had a pretty healthy head start, I'd hardly consider that "barely" in comparison. Other "one" is more like it as Wii's other apperent function is printing off money.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length