RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2024, 06:28:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | In hard times: What would you do? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: "In the Wild" vs Retail price games
Rather spend it on Retail
Rather spend it in the wild
I would still do both the same
Cut back on both for awhile.

Author Topic: In hard times: What would you do?  (Read 2213 times)
Moriya Hanzo
3DO
United States

Stats
« on: November 08, 2008, 04:45:46 PM »

With many people afraid of spending money due to the economy scares and what nots. Do you find yourself waiting on new releases to drop or do you still splurge. What about hunting down deals in the wild?

I always wait for new releases. Last full price game i bought was Madden 09 360. Everything else i pretty much wait on. I have slowed down a little on spending in the wild only because i don't find as many good deals other than craigslist.

modest9797
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 06:16:53 PM »

I ussually never spend more then $10 on any game except for new ones.

I also don't buy too many new games.  My last 3 new games were Rock Band 2, Rock Band, and Halo 3 all at release.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 09:22:06 PM »

I tend to splurge when it's a game I really want and I know it will be awesome and consume hundreds of hours of my life. Nothing worse, in my opinion, than spending full price on a game that is over too fast or sucks.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 07:53:03 AM »

I'd rather spend my money in the wild. New games will always drop in price so I'd rather spend my money well unless I'd really really want a game.
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 02:02:22 PM »

I only play my PS2 and handhelds very rarely so I don't really buy games.
cyberfluxor
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 10:35:25 PM »

I don't buy new games too frequently. My rate hasn't changed from what I can tell, but I have cut back on spending. Graduation is soon and I'd like to have college + car paid off ASAP instead of a few games so about once a month now I'll go digging. I'll be getting a cocktail cab later this week. :-P

Collecting CIB 5200 Atari and Sega Saturn games.
Check out my domain
I will purge your base for resources.
Tan
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 11:08:47 PM »

If it's a game that I'll sink many hours into like an RPG or RTS or that I've been eagerly anticipating, I buy it as soon as I can. There's something to be said for playing games and discussing them when everyone else is playing them too.

Other than that I assign a value to a game that I'm willing to pay and buy it when it reaches that amount. Be it $5 or $50 less. The economy makes me choose my larger purchases like major appliances, groceries or gas more carefully but music, DVDs and games are unaffected as their prices are more stable and consistent.
Haoie
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 01:38:24 AM »

Doesn't really matter to me gaming wise. I don't go for any new things anyway.

If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 11:39:41 AM »

I spend most of my money in the wild.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »

If it's a game that I'll sink many hours into like an RPG or RTS or that I've been eagerly anticipating, I buy it as soon as I can. There's something to be said for playing games and discussing them when everyone else is playing them too.

Other than that I assign a value to a game that I'm willing to pay and buy it when it reaches that amount. Be it $5 or $50 less. The economy makes me choose my larger purchases like major appliances, groceries or gas more carefully but music, DVDs and games are unaffected as their prices are more stable and consistent.

I take the same approach on both points.

For example, when Assassin's Creed came out I knew it was a game I wanted to buy...but not at $60. I figured it for under $20. I got it used at a buy 2 get 1 free sale from EB/Gamestop. It averaged out to about $12.

Even for new games, though, I look for a deal where I'm getting more than just a game for my $60. Like the recent Gears 2 deal that included a 1600 points card. The card pretty much offsets the cost of the game by $20 so it's as though I got Gears 2 for $40.

My vote was to cut back on both for awhile. I figure it'd give me opportunity to catch up on my backlog. But if you find a deal you can't pass up...don't, otherwise you'll be kicking yourself later. Cool
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 02:53:45 PM by phoenix1967 » Logged

cant-grow-up
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 09:36:59 PM »

Ive found myself cutting down on a lot of things with the economy being like it is. Especially since I live in florida where we've been hit especially hard. I parked my v8 play car and am driving something less "thirsty", I dont go out as much etc. As far as my gaming purchases im actually buying more games than I usually do (per month) because Ive cut down in other areas and Ive switched from buying newer games to buying older games that I can find cheaper. I can go down to play n trade with a $25 limit set for myself and walk away with 4 games for older systems (ps2 back to genesis) instead of the one game I might find for that price on the 360.

remembering the old times of late nights with the genesis
[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/cant-grow-up.png[/img]
wishlist:Pico-3DO-Jaguar-Nomad-Xbox-NES
Sega2099
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 04:01:53 PM »

I do most buying at flea markets, pawn shops, etc. I do this to get my NES games very cheap and in cases even free. The stores suck unless you are able to buy new-age used games for cheap. I actually buy more NES games than the newer games anyways due to the fact NES games... I find are more entertaining.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 04:10:52 PM »

I tend to buy games either discounted thru a retail store or "in the wild".

Last year i had actually bought more games full price than i ever have and it shows. I don't think i will make that mistake again.... i hope.

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 10:01:41 AM »

The only games I buy new are must haves, RPGs and mainly Tales titles at that. Otherwise I go used and only at rock bottom prices. Not because of the economy though, because we can never afford extras.

The majority of my new games come from crackheads selling stuff quick and cheap so they can get their fix. A dude came into my hubby's store a few nights ago looking to sell Fallout 3 for $15. If he would have had $15 he'd have bought it for me.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 12:21:18 PM »

The majority of my new games come from crackheads selling stuff quick and cheap so they can get their fix.
Are you being funny or is that for real? (Serious question)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length