RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2024, 05:18:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Gears of War 2 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Gears of War 2  (Read 1780 times)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« on: October 28, 2008, 06:27:21 PM »

Without a doubt Gears of War 2 is the biggest game that's coming out this holiday season and will probably outsell any other game. (With the exception of Guitar Hero/Rock Band)

Do you think it'll be as big as Gears of War 1 was, or will it just be more of the same, but with really high production values?

Aparantely, the graphics have been upped a bit as you can see in this comparison screen:

The launch trailer is looking pretty sweet as well:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42088.html
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 06:29:50 PM by Sirgin » Logged
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 10:44:06 PM »

Looks better in the first. I hate how they make everything look all grimdark.

Personally wasn't a fan of the first. Got tired of it around the boss that smashed through walls.

When shall his new form be revealed?
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 11:18:07 PM »

The game is looking awesome! drool

Rajaat the Warbringer
CD-i
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 08:24:23 AM »

I liked the first one... but it was too short to be worth the price tag. That said, I'll be waiting for this one to hit $20 or less before I get it.

There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.

--Moby Dick
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 03:36:24 PM »

Looks better in the first. I hate how they make everything look all grimdark.
I know what you mean, it's almost Silent Hill.
Kimoosabi
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 11:52:54 AM »

I was a huge fan of the first, I think I've played through it about 5 times at various difficulties and co-op. I'll definitely be picking the sequel up launch day.

Oh, and to answer the question in the OP, I think it will definitely be better than the first. The campaign is supposedly about 30% longer than the first, which is a plus. But the real improvements will be in the multiplayer. The Horde mode looks very fun. And now they're utilizing a party system ala Halo 3, which will make it much easier to play with your friends.
otaku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 11:49:54 PM »

I'm getting it for sure. Circuit city is giving 1600 point MS cards with copies. Smiley
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 07:39:04 AM »

I'm getting it for sure. Circuit city is giving 1600 point MS cards with copies. Smiley

^That's a big selling point for me as well.

From what I recall, I think advance orders at Best Buy give you a remote control vehicle with the game. Unless I'm wrong and/or they've discontinued this offer.

Hmmm...1600 points card or an exclusive Gears 2 remote control vehicle?

I'd probably to with the points card...more flexibility and one less "thing" for which to have to make space. Cool
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 11:57:24 AM by phoenix1967 » Logged

James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 12:11:06 PM »

I enjoyed the first one a lot. My first run through was very hard, and that was on Casual. But then I played it again on casual and it wasn't so difficult so I played again on Hardcore, or whatever the next one up was. But then my friend's birthday came up and he wanted to get Gears of War so I gave it to him.

I'll get Gears of War 2 but I don't like paying over £30 for video games. GTA IV was an exception. Wink I had been looking forward to GTA IV since San Andreas.

I thought Gears of War 1 was a bit too "glowy" with unrealistic lighting. Maybe they've changed it for the second one.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 07:55:50 AM »

I'll get Gears of War 2 but I don't like paying over £30 for video games.
Me neither.

Of course, it helps that I don't have a next gen console. By the time I'll get one there'll probably be a lot more games for €30, which would be about the maximum I'd give to a next-gen game.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 09:31:21 AM »

The review from GameTrailers:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42155.html

It's largely positive, but the score seems a bit....odd. Why give out a 9.5 for a sequel that isn't revolutionary at all Huh

Nevertheless, a must-buy unless you hated Gears 1.
Rajaat the Warbringer
CD-i
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 10:14:25 AM »

I don't really feel that being revolutionary or being a sequel should have anything to do with a game's score.

There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.

--Moby Dick
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 10:17:03 AM »

I don't really feel that being revolutionary or being a sequel should have anything to do with a game's score.
Ok, maybe not, but they weren't bursting with excitement either. To then give the game a 9.5 is somewhat of a stretch, an 8.8-9.0 would've been more apropriate in my opinion.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length