RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2024, 05:26:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Sega Genesis Help 0 Members and 13 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sega Genesis Help  (Read 1969 times)
Spenny J
N-Gage

Stats
« on: October 24, 2008, 12:28:29 AM »

Hey Gang,

So I found this sega genesis mk1 at a thrift store the other day for 4 dollars.  Unfortunately, it didn't have any of the necessary cables.

Not being able to find anyone with a genuine sega dc adapter, I opted for the quick, generic 3-in-1 fix.  The adapter was a little different then the sega one, with an output of 9v 850ma, whereas the sega one has 1.2a.

So, my problem is that when playing this genesis, I get wierd, humming lines, and little to no sound.  Could this be because of the off-kilter power adapter, or would this be a system problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!
ApolloBoy
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 01:15:33 AM »

What polarity is the adapter set at? With DC-powered devices, you not only have to respect voltage and amperage, but polarity as well. For the model 1 Genesis, you need a power supply with a polarity of tip negative.
Spenny J
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 02:03:04 AM »

The polarity of the adapter is ok.  The only difference is the current.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 04:38:30 AM »

The adaptor output is way too low. If you're not careful you'll blow the power pack.
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 11:09:49 AM »

^agree

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 11:12:30 AM »

Yup, what James said.

You should be more careful you know, you can't just go and use a random adapter with a console. Shocked
Spenny J
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 11:42:49 AM »

Gee whiz.
Well, the adapter that I used was one of those generic "NES, SNES, and GENESIS compatable" ones. Obviously not compatable enough.
Thanks guys.  I'm taking this thing back.
NESman93
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 11:45:11 AM »

If im not mistaken, the ones that are compatible with nes, snes, and genesis, only work with the model 1 genesis. Which model do you have?

Now you're playing with power! Nintendo Power!

Consoles on my wishlist: Mega Drive (Japan), Genesis Model 1, Super Famicom, Famicom, SNES 2, NES 2, Neo Geo AES, 360, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, GameCube
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 11:56:27 AM »

That's a good point.

Genesis Model 1 = 10V 1.2A
Genesis Model 2 = 10V 0.85A (850mA)

The model two has a smaller power connector, which is yellow-tipped on the official Sega power pack.

Also, I thought the NES and SNES were AC, while the Genesis is DC. Or does this all-in-one power pack have a switch to change between them?
Spenny J
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 12:09:49 PM »

I have a model 1 genesis.  One of the first-run one with "high definition graphics" hahaha.

The model 1 runs at 9v 1.2a DC, and the model 2 is 10v .85 AC.  The adapter definitely doesn't switch.

It's looking more and more like this thing is a piece of trash hahaha.  But at least now I know that my genesis and the 3 controllers all work, so I guess it wasn't a total waste.  I'm just lucky I didn't fry anything I guess hahaha.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 12:22:31 PM »

The model 1 runs at 9v 1.2a DC, and the model 2 is 10v .85 AC.  The adapter definitely doesn't switch.

Are you sure about that? My (European) Mega Drives say DC 10V on both of them.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 12:53:52 PM »

If you want i can check and see if i have an extra power supply.
I believe i packed my extra cables in the car when i moved...

Spenny J
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 05:42:26 PM »

100% sure.

If you want i can check and see if i have an extra power supply.
I believe i packed my extra cables in the car when i moved...
That would be rad.  I'm in canada, though.  I'm not really sure how tough it is getting things over the border these days.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 06:54:48 PM »

100% sure.

You're wrong. Smiley Both the Model 1 and Model 2 use DC power adaptors. Obviously it's AC coming out of the wall, but the consoles use DC. The US Nomad uses the same power adaptor as the Genesis 2, which is also the same output as the European Mega Drive 2. That's how I powered my old US Nomad.
cant-grow-up
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »

If its getting weird lines and other "white noise" issues id look into the R/F cable from the genesis to the tv, because thats sorta like what mines doing and its got a bad r/f cable (just to throw in a different option than power supply)

remembering the old times of late nights with the genesis
[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/cant-grow-up.png[/img]
wishlist:Pico-3DO-Jaguar-Nomad-Xbox-NES
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length