RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 01:53:49 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The random game game 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: The random game game  (Read 9916 times)
Chainclaw
Jaguar CD
United States

Stats
« on: October 19, 2008, 07:32:29 PM »

The random game button for collections is always fun. Sometimes I'll use it to select a game to play, but I figured we could also play this game

To get to the random game button, go here (replace your username with mine) :
http://www.rfgeneration.c...llection&action=tools
To get there, click "Tools" at the top, and then hit "Tools" in the line of collection things.

So here's the game we can play. Generate a random game from your game folder, and then answer these questions about it:

What game did you get (and what system)?
When did you buy that game?
Why did you buy that game?
When was the last time you played it?
Any thoughts on that game?

I figure this can be fun.

Here's a couple from mine:
Atari 2600 : Battlezone
I bought an Atari 2600 + bunch of games off of Craiglist a few years back, this is one of those games.
I bought it because it came with the above collection.
I last played it shortly after that purchase, when I tested the games to make sure they worked.
Battlezone for the 2600 is a decent port, I happen to like Robot Tank more. The cool part about Battlezone is it is the origin of the current most popular trick to rendering sprites for Atari 2600 homebrew games.

Sega Genesis : Shadowrun
I bought this a few years back when Gamecrazy was clearing out all their old games at 3 for $15.
I bought it because it was a great price, and it is an interesting game.
I last played it a few months after purchasing it. I was going through a bunch of Sega games with some friends.
I think it's OK, but combat is too frustrating. I like that the game is kind of non-linear, but I prefer the SNES Shadowrun. I don't like the weird top down perspective in this, either.

Lets hear about your random games!

Also, we should probably limit this to something like 3 games, in a single post, a day, per person.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 07:37:21 PM by Chainclaw » Logged
Malygris
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 07:52:34 PM »

w00t!

Okay, first one selected: Ultima Underworld. Purchased over eBay for ~100 bucks a few years ago, in fantastic shape but sadly missing the runes and runebag that were included with the original. (Anyone who's got a complete set of bag and runes, msg me.) But I originally played it not long after it was released - in fact, I had the opportunity to play the demo prior its launch, and the only thing that kept me from getting to it sooner was the fact that I was hip-deep in Eye of the Beholder 2. Anyone who had the opportunity to play the game when it was new will understand why I bought it again all these years later; it's a simple thing to say it's possibly the finest RPG dungeon crawl ever created, but another matter entirely to have been fortunate enough to experience it.

Second pick: Neverwinter Nights CE. I was hoping for something more interesting but this is what I got. Anyway, phenomenal CE, absolutely monstrous box and packed full of sweetness. Caught a break getting this one, it was something like ten bucks more than the standard release but so much awesomer (yes, awesomer) but I didn't go for NWN right away, and by the time I got around to it they were virtually sold out. Luckily, I got talking with a woman at EB - not your typical EB employee either, kind of a matronly woman in her late 40s, early 50s - and she made some calls and was able to pull one in from another store. Very solid. Too bad the game itself can't compare with the included extras or the above-and-beyond of the EB lady, but on the upside if I ever need to pummel someone to death with a videogame, I know which one I'll be reaching for.
Tan
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 08:52:23 PM »

Hey great idea!

Sudeki - Xbox - Bought this last spring/summer, first copy of it I've seen in a long, long time, probably since it's release. It's a first party exclusive and a half decent RPG which really flopped at retail. Being a sucker for RPGs I figured this would make a good addition to my collection. This game had a lot of potential and hype when it was released but ultimately turned out to be an average game at best. Either way it still makes for a good rainy day backlog title when I want something fresh I haven't beaten yet.

Feechy
Neo Geo AES
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 09:28:10 PM »

I got a good one!

Megaman-NES
Bought it about a year ago, it was one of my first NES games. I bought this pretty much just because I've always loved this game but never really got to own it. I last played it... 20 minutes ago. And oddly I like this one more than Mega Man 2.

<Alfador> stop trying to rain on my parade
<Kimoosabi> Your parade is stupid!
<Alfador> my parade is TIGHT
-
Crabmaster2000: dont talk to him or he'll try to sell you modded playstations
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 09:38:47 PM »

Ren & Stimpy Show: Time Warp, The: I'm not 100% on this, but I believe I got this from a deal on Craigslist, a boxed SNES and a few boxed games. I got it on 5/2/07 and paid $35 for lot.

Mr. Ksoft
Sega 32X

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 09:54:33 PM »

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (N64)

I didn't buy this game at all.  I actually borrowed it from my friend down the street during the summer of 2001 or 2002 when I was looking for some new N64 games to play.  He never asked for the game back and I never bothered to walk down and return it, so I've kept it ever since.  I last played it a few months ago when I started putting stuff into the database here, because I realized I still had it and I couldn't remember anything about it.  I don't find it to be that bad of a game, but it's nothing amazing either.

Interesting stuff:
Monochrome Nightmares (self-made games)
Exploding Jellyfish (self-made music)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 06:21:40 AM »

Super Mario Bros. 2 - NES - I bought this game on eBay because I had the first and third Bros. game from my NES lot. It's my least favorite though.
Chainclaw
Jaguar CD
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 06:45:42 PM »

Super Mario Bros 2 might be my favorite Mario game.

Also, I played the hell out of Shadows of the Empire when it came out. So many crazy cheat codes that involved pressing nearly every button on the controller.

Anyways, here are two I got today:

Nintendo DS : Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits
I bought it a few days after the Christmas the DS came out. I had gotten the DS for Christmas (it was right before starting a new job), and the library was slim pickings at that point. I got the DS with Mario 64, Spiderman, and 2 or 3 other games, I believe. I had heard good things about Mr. Driller, and wanted another game for it, so I picked it up. At first I didn't like it (I had never played Mr. Driller before, for some reason), but it clicked after a while, and I enjoy it. The last time I remember playing it was about 3 years ago when I went with a friend to help him pick up a car, I was playing the game to pass the time at some point.

Microsoft Xbox 360 : Chromehounds
I bought this when it first came out. I was starving for new Xbox 360 games, and this one seemed to have some cool online content. I played about halfway through the "single player" stuff (which was just a tutorial for online), and tried out the online stuff shortly. I enjoyed the game, but big and better things came out for the 360, so this game got forgotten. I last played it about 3 or 4 months after it came out.
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 07:11:18 PM »

Here's one I got:

Title: Stubbs the Zombie: in Rebel Without a Pulse for PC
When did you buy that game?: A few weeks ago.
Why did you buy that game?: Steam had it for $5 and I've always wanted to give it a shot.
When was the last time you played it?: Probably a week ago.
Any thoughts on that game?: Pretty damn original and hilarious.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Mr. Ksoft
Sega 32X

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 07:21:27 PM »

A couple randoms:

Lemmings & Oh No More Lemmings (GB Color)
Bought in... I think summer of 2000 or 2001.  Bought it because I thought "oh my god! Lemmings ON THE GAME BOY!!!"
Haven't played it in years... it's a really, really bad port.  I was quite disappointed (though not for a few months after I got it, thankfully...)

(HAHAHAHAHAH, I clicked Random again and it picked Lemmings for the PC right after the above.  So I clicked random again...)

Lego Racers (PC)
Bought in 1999?  I'm not really sure, because my parents bought it for me since I liked Legos and I didn't have much to play on the computer.  I think I played it a few months ago.  It's one of my all-time favorite racing games-- I played the hell out of it and I still play it from time to time because it's quite fun.  I know every single shortcut in each stage.

Interesting stuff:
Monochrome Nightmares (self-made games)
Exploding Jellyfish (self-made music)
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 07:28:28 PM »

Random game today was Operation Wolf for the NES. I bought this for $2 at the Flea Market on 4/22/07. I don't think I've played it yet, but if I did it wasn't for very long as I don't remember anything about it.

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 03:55:03 AM »

C64 Classix for the Mac.
Purchase Date: 17/06/07
eBay... pretty cheap but can't remember an actual price.

I got it along with a lot of other titles early on to become a Mac gamer, anything I had ever loved I wanted to get for the Mac. With the C64 being my all time favourite computer and having loved so many games on it I though this would be great. Reality is, it is nothing more than some emulators and a lot of very crappy fan made roms for the most part.

When was the last time I played it? Back when I got it.

hXd
Algebraic!
SNES
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 10:11:08 PM »

PS2- Zone Of The Enders,

I got this when it first came out just to play the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo (who didn't lol). Then I played it and loved it and was ecstatic when they announced the sequel. Last time I played was too long ago, I don't even remember. I do remember that it was WAY too short and they didn't improve on that in the sequel, here's hoping that a number 3 will be longer.

cant-grow-up
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 01:15:50 AM »

ok first one
Got Lotus 2: RECS for the genesis
Bought it 4 years ago of of half.com for $2
When I saw it i had to get it my cousin had it for his genesis when we were kids and I loved the game.
About a month ago (but thanks to this it might be in about 10min)
Yea its like pretty much every other racing game that was out during that time-but it had one of the best soundtracks of the 16-bit age.

Number 2
Impact Racing for the Saturn
About 3 years ago for $0.75 with case and books off of half.com (yea so i get a lot games from there).
$0.75 complete....how could I say no?
Couple of weeks ago.
Think megarace except not good (still fun to play though)

remembering the old times of late nights with the genesis
[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/cant-grow-up.png[/img]
wishlist:Pico-3DO-Jaguar-Nomad-Xbox-NES
Haoie
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 01:23:01 AM »

What game did you get (and what system)? Driver 2
When did you buy that game? Last week
Why did you buy that game? I thought it might be like GTA
When was the last time you played it? I haven't played it yet
Any thoughts on that game? I'm getting Driver 1 next

If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length