RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 16, 2024, 09:28:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | MY PS3 CRAPPED OUT!!!!!!!! 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: MY PS3 CRAPPED OUT!!!!!!!!  (Read 4802 times)
Haoie
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 02:08:59 AM »

Man, they don't make things durable like they used to, am I right?

If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 07:23:28 AM »

Yes, you're right.

But it's not all the fault of these companies. The way data is stored/read has alot to do with it aswell. Optical disk drives (and hard drives) simply don't last as long as older, more simple cartridge systems do.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 09:51:09 AM »

I blame the companies... at least until my Mega-CD or Saturn eventually dies out.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 09:52:34 AM »

I blame the companies... at least until my Mega-CD or Saturn eventually dies out.
Heh...good point. Tongue
Tan
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 10:37:45 AM »

Yes, you're right.

But it's not all the fault of these companies. The way data is stored/read has alot to do with it aswell. Optical disk drives (and hard drives) simply don't last as long as older, more simple cartridge systems do.

Ironic isn't it? Cartridge systems are more reliable hardware-wise, but cartridges themselves suffer from bit-rot. Meanwhile disc systems are known to be less reliable yet the discs will outlive their owners. Tongue
Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 06:01:16 PM »

My brother has been through two replacements of the PS3 in less a little more than one year.  He has the 80 GB model and both errors came from the Blue-ray disc drive not being able to read 70% of the games (PS3).

Chainclaw
Jaguar CD
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 06:33:18 PM »

Yes, you're right.

Ironic isn't it? Cartridge systems are more reliable hardware-wise, but cartridges themselves suffer from bit-rot. Meanwhile disc systems are known to be less reliable yet the discs will outlive their owners. Tongue

Bit rot is largely a myth. And even if true, some theories claim that CDs will degrade faster than other forms of storage.
Tan
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 08:22:28 PM »

Yes, you're right.

Bit rot is largely a myth. And even if true, some theories claim that CDs will degrade faster than other forms of storage.

I've heard of many instances of bit-rot being the cause of non-working carts that are 25-30 years old. Could be because of the manufacturing processes at the time who knows. Perhaps some forms of EPROM are more susceptible than others.

As far as CDs, bronzing and discoloration isn't as big as issue as it once was in the early 90's but from time to time I've heard instances of cloudy discoloration. In fact a friend of mine had to send his Wii copy of Zelda for a replacement for that very reason.

Of course I'm sure all of these CD/DVD devices will be long broken before anyone has to worry about the media degrading anyway. Hell it's hard to find a good PS2 or Xbox even now let alone Saturns, Duos or Sega CDs. Tongue
Haoie
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 01:42:48 AM »

The more advanced the technology, the easier it breaks, and the harder it is to fix.

That seems to be almost always true.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 10:31:14 AM »

The higher we climb the further we fall.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 10:43:15 AM »

My brother has been through two replacements of the PS3 in less a little more than one year.  He has the 80 GB model and both errors came from the Blue-ray disc drive not being able to read 70% of the games (PS3).
Pfft, hearing things like that really makes me not want to buy a 360/PS3. Sad

It's almost like playing console-lottery. You might buy a model that'll last "forever", or you might buy one that breaks down within a month. Undecided

I'd have to see another price cut (or maybe even 2) for both, before I'm going to spend all that money on one.
Chainclaw
Jaguar CD
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 07:03:05 PM »

Tan linked this in the IRC : http://en.wikipedia.org/w...Ps3#Retail_configurations
Sony is only removing features from the PS3 as time goes on.

I hate to point it out again, but if the only reason you haven't picked up a PS3 yet is because you are waiting for a price cut, you're going to get screwed over. You'll end up with a crappy model PS3 that doesn't do anything.

If you're waiting to get one because there aren't games you want on it yet or whatever, then make sure you set aside extra money when you do go to buy one for one of the good models.

Backwards compatibility on the system is awesome. There is so much room for virtual memory cards, and when I'm going to go play a game elsewhere, I can easily copy saves to and from my PS3 to the original PS2 / PS1 memory cards.
Tan
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2008, 07:11:38 PM »

You can thank Tony (Tondog) for pointing that article out to me. It's quite sad to see them stripping the system piece by piece. Pretty soon the average Blu-Ray player will have more features than a PS3 Tongue
Haoie
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 01:03:19 AM »

Doesn't paint a pretty picture for modern gaming, does it?

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2008, 10:17:46 AM »

Backwards compatibility on the system is awesome. There is so much room for virtual memory cards, and when I'm going to go play a game elsewhere, I can easily copy saves to and from my PS3 to the original PS2 / PS1 memory cards.
You're totally right. And yeah it's quite sad to see how they're taking away more and more features from the PS3. What's next? No more Blu-ray drive, lol? Tongue

But really, the november 2006 model (which was only released for NTSC regions Sad) had the actual Emotion Engine chip inside. The 2007 models use software emulation for the backwards compatibility (not great, but still something) and the current models aren't backwards compatible at all!!! Angry

This is quite annoying, I knew about the card slots but not of the backward compatibility being gone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length