RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2024, 12:25:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | Price Paid... Is this possible? 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Price Paid... Is this possible?  (Read 1972 times)
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« on: September 10, 2008, 10:04:43 PM »

I know we have talked about the fact that we can't have 'values' for games on the site, because that turns it into a rarity guide. How about a space when you are adding games to put how much you paid for them? I know many put this in the comment box, but with that space, you can then have a simple (I would come to believe, at least) little script that could add up all of the costs, average them out, etc. Then, maybe on the game pages, have the average PAID by people who own those games and have set a paid price, not a 'Value' Persay. I know many people will say that on the market today, FFVII can fetch USD65-80, but many have only paid USD5-25. Whaddaya guys think?  Wink Cool

Tell me about your variants...
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 04:15:55 AM »

It's an interesting idea but not too easy to make happen. You'd also need the possibility for Euros and Pounds , ... And what if a European member imports US games but pays in Euros for them? You'd need to have up to date exchange rates, etc....

Oh and to keep the amount of strokes among RFG members down it's maybe best not to include a "Total collection cost" script. Tongue
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 10:00:18 AM »

A problem I see with that is, what happens when you buy games in a lot? Or you buy the same game twice at different prices? Those are the reasons I quit putting the prices I paid in the comment box, things just get too messy.

Oh and to keep the amount of strokes among RFG members down it's maybe best not to include a "Total collection cost" script. Tongue

Yeah, I don't think I'd really want to know of all the money I've spent on games. Wink

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 12:31:34 PM »

Yeah, I don't think I'd really want to know of all the money I've spent on games. Wink
Haha, yes exactly Cheesy
Tan
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 01:03:01 PM »

Also, what happens of 5 people own a title and 3 of them got it for free? The value statistic of the game is cut down because of it. Or if 50/100 bought ChronoTrigger new back in the day, the other 50 who paid through the nose for it in recent years look a lot more extreme by comparison. If we had say 5000 collections listed it might work, only then would there be enough people to average out more accurate numbers. It's the same problem with the top 100 or bottom 25. Not enough members rating them or members total for an accurate assessment.

Besides, one person's $0.25 flea market thrift is someone else's $100 sealed treasure.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 01:22:40 PM »

It's the same problem with the top 100 or bottom 25. Not enough members rating them or members total for an accurate assessment.
That has been changed into the Top 50 games now Cheesy

But on a serious note: Everything NES_Rules and Tan said is very true, making this all the more complex to have it done right. I think there are other features that could be improved upon first that aren't as complex as this.

Tan
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 02:43:56 PM »

It's the same problem with the top 100 or bottom 25. Not enough members rating them or members total for an accurate assessment.
That has been changed into the Top 50 games now Cheesy

Yes but it was changed from the top 100 to top 50 because the 51-100 list had some odd choices and dubious selections because the ratings had fewer votes and didn't represent the actual opinions of the consensus.
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 03:58:13 PM »

Aww fine. But is it possible to add this as a section of your collection, unrelated to the game pages? So that you can see how much you have spent, and you can show off you deals in your own collection.

Tell me about your variants...
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 06:04:18 PM »

That's kind of what the notes section was meant for.  It would be hard to standardize a field for payment, since there are so many different kinds of currency.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length