RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2024, 11:21:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Sega Saturn question 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Sega Saturn question  (Read 8499 times)
Chainclaw
Jaguar CD
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 12:04:44 AM »

I would guess the 4-in-1 can't work like a regular memory card because it also functions as the ram expansion, and the Saturn can't address a ram expansion at the same time as save data during gameplay?

Cobra's method of modding the system itself is one of the best options if you ignore cost. You also lose out on easily playing some of your games on your friends systems, but you can always bring the whole system over if plan on gaming elsewhere.

I actually ended up picking up a second, Japanese Saturn for playing Panzer Dragoon Azel. I think I paid as much for my second Saturn as I originally paid for the 4-in-1 cart ($35 each).
ApolloBoy
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 01:02:17 AM »

I own one of those 4-in-1 carts and it works well for what I need. It certainly takes a lot less space than a second Saturn. Smiley
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 05:25:07 AM »

I'm not sure what the question is. Both of my Saturns are unmodded and work fine with my 4M cart.
I was talking about the "booting to the UI and copying the file". I didn't know you could do that with a Saturn, anyway, it'll probably become all clear if I get one of those 4-in-1 carts myself Smiley
Chainclaw
Jaguar CD
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 01:02:42 PM »

I'm not sure what the question is. Both of my Saturns are unmodded and work fine with my 4M cart.
I was talking about the "booting to the UI and copying the file". I didn't know you could do that with a Saturn, anyway, it'll probably become all clear if I get one of those 4-in-1 carts myself Smiley

Oh, yeah. The Saturn has a front end UI you can boot to if you don't have a game in. There is a basic memory manager for the on-system data.

If you have one of the multi-carts, it actually boots to its own front end UI, that allows you to copy data to / from the cart, activate cheats, and a few other things.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 03:02:26 PM »

Oh, yeah. The Saturn has a front end UI you can boot to if you don't have a game in. There is a basic memory manager for the on-system data.

If you have one of the multi-carts, it actually boots to its own front end UI, that allows you to copy data to / from the cart, activate cheats, and a few other things.
Oh, ok. I didn't know that Smiley

I bought a Saturn on eBay a couple of days ago, it should probably arrive in the next couple of days Cheesy
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 12:03:08 PM »

The Saturn arrived today. It works just fine but I think the internal battery is dead (as one of you said) because the console asked me to set the time & date when I turned on the power.

I don't think I'll change it because I'll buy a memory card anyway. Regular one or 4 in 1, I haven't decided yet.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 12:36:23 PM »

When I bought my Saturn the battery was dead. It only cost £1 for two to replace so you may as well.
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 03:59:27 PM »

You must replace the battery if you don't want it to ask you that info every time you power it up. It doesn't save date and time to a memory card.  Wink

Tell me about your variants...
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 04:11:09 PM »

You must replace the battery if you don't want it to ask you that info every time you power it up. It doesn't save date and time to a memory card.  Wink
Smart thinking.

Would I be able to buy one at a watch shop or are there other places I could find one? I'm not really sure where to look for something like that, never had to buy a battery before.
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 04:21:44 PM »

It should be at a watch shop, its a pretty common watch battery.  The US one is 2032, so the PAL one prob is also.

Just bring the battery to a watch shop, and ask for a replacement.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 04:24:16 PM »

Watch shops will probably be quite expensive. You can get the CR2032 in hardware stores, electrical component stores, electrical appliance stores, ebay, and probably a lot of other places that have batteries.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 04:30:36 PM »

Watch shops will probably be quite expensive. You can get the CR2032 in hardware stores, electrical component stores, electrical appliance stores, ebay, and probably a lot of other places that have batteries.
Alright, I think I'll check my local hardware shop first, thanks Smiley
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 05:23:04 PM »

Yeah, I was going to say "Go to Walgreens or CVS", but then I remembered that you were in Belgien. (German Spelling.  Wink )

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 05:38:55 PM »

I got my replacement from the local chemist.
The real pain was the Dreamcast VMU, while the Saturn battery will last you a couple of years, the VMU seems to take after the bloody Nomad.

logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 05:47:47 PM »

I got my replacement from the local chemist.
The real pain was the Dreamcast VMU, while the Saturn battery will last you a couple of years, the VMU seems to take after the bloody Nomad.

I know many of you hate just smiley posts, but...

laugh

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length