RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 10:03:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Trophies From the Hunt | Tips n' Tricks for cleaning Hardware and Games 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Tips n' Tricks for cleaning Hardware and Games  (Read 11057 times)
a_hub10
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2012, 02:19:13 PM »

This method seems to work pretty well for Muzz.  Hes a good guy, if you have any questions he'll normally answer them.
Hungrymoose
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2012, 02:42:47 PM »

Another decent video ruined by crappy music.  I'd rather listen to silence than some of the crap I've heard people use.  I also didn't actually notice that he said which compound he used this time.

ProjectG.U.E.S.T.
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2012, 04:57:04 AM »

oh I forgot to say I use my goo gone trick to get permanent marker off
(it works really well, it gets about 99.9% of the marker off plastic)

I discovered to my delight that this is true for the labels as well. At least with SNES and NES labels, which have a protective coating, you can apply gently (using not very much, either) and with a little patience it removes most of it. Can't really even tell they were marked at a glance.

Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2012, 10:20:27 PM »

Hey now!

Be sure to take special care if you're cleaning the surfaces of old consoles with alcohol-based cleaners:

[img width=607 height=385]http://www.mediafire.com/conv/5dba4e2d83c6ff843d3910cff93f53840a7401a831ab717fbb940e1a822c2b036g.jpg[/img]

Be sure to give wide berth to any printed-on logos or graphics, as they might get dissolved by the cleaner, like what happened to the SEGA logo on my Type 2 Genesis shown above.

Thank you for your attention.
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2012, 08:10:55 PM »

Hey now!

Be sure you take the the Genesis model 2 apart by removing the four Phillip Head screws at the bottom. Remember righty tighty, lefty loosy when ya turn the screws.

Simply take the top shell and clean that puppy with soap and water using a non-abrasive sponge. Just use a bristle cleaner to clean the vents, since they get packed with dust. No alcohol needed here. Let it dry before re-assembling.

If ya got the guts like I do you can take a dab of WD-40 and spray it on a lint-free rag, or a paper towel if you wish, just simply wipe that puppy down lightly, you don't need to apply a lot of pressure. It will leave a beautiful shine, like waxing a car. And this shine lasts a very, very long time.

To answer your questions, no it will not feel greasy, it will not cause harm to your system, and the smell be it very light will go away after a day or two. Trust me it makes your system look freaking amazing, almost like new.

[img width=700 height=525]http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/RazorKnuckles/zag003.jpg[/img]

Thank you for your attention.  Roll Eyes

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2012, 10:14:01 PM »

Hey now!

Be sure you take the the Genesis model 2 apart by removing the four Phillip Head screws at the bottom. Remember righty tighty, lefty loosy when ya turn the screws.

Simply take the top shell and clean that puppy with soap and water using a non-abrasive sponge. Just use a bristle cleaner to clean the vents, since they get packed with dust. No alcohol needed here. Let it dry before re-assembling.

If ya got the guts like I do you can take a dab of WD-40 and spray it on a lint-free rag, or a paper towel if you wish, just simply wipe that puppy down lightly, you don't need to apply a lot of pressure. It will leave a beautiful shine, like waxing a car. And this shine lasts a very, very long time.

To answer your questions, no it will not feel greasy, it will not cause harm to your system, and the smell be it very light will go away after a day or two. Trust me it makes your system look freaking amazing, almost like new.

[img width=700 height=525]http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/RazorKnuckles/zag003.jpg[/img]

Thank you for your attention.  Smiley

Hey, I used to have a type 2 genesis console just like that one.

It even had the same faded SEGA logo on it and everything.

Small world, huh?
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012, 10:25:54 PM »

^ Thats weird. Umm really they do look the same. Almost exactly the same...
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2012, 10:28:16 PM »

^ Thats weird. Umm really they do look the same. Almost exactly the same...
Hey now!

Thank you for your attention.  Smiley

Hey, I used to have a type 2 genesis console just like that one.

It even had the same faded SEGA logo on it and everything.

Small world, huh?

So are you telling me......Sega produced a variation Genesis with a faded logo?
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012, 10:32:42 PM »

^ Glad you pointed that out. Gonna have to look into that laugh
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2012, 10:36:52 PM »

Um... ya think we should break the news to him? Or should we trust him to figure it out on his own?
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 10:39:46 PM »

Um... ya think we should break the news to him? Or should we trust him to figure it out on his own?

What news?! Sega is still making these and I can get one too? This rocks!

Wait a minute.....are you two.......in on this somehow? I know.....hmmmmm.....you....are.....THE SAME PERSON!!!!!
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2012, 10:43:27 PM »

Short, simple and to the point. We traded consoles.

The end.

But do let me know what you think about the Genesis model 1 I'm sending to you. I did the same thing cleaning wise to your model 2 and I want to hear your input about how it looks too you.  
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2012, 10:47:44 PM »

Short, simple and to the point. We traded consoles.

The end.

Aw, WEAK, dude! We coulda drawn this out for several more posts, and really left him hangin'!

What kinda sad excuse for a prankster are you, anyhow?

But do let me know what you think about the Genesis model 1 I'm sending to you. I did the same thing cleaning wise to your model 2 and I want to hear your input about how it looks too you. 

Will do.

'Late
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2012, 10:49:02 PM »

' Late
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2012, 10:52:27 PM »

^ And I just realized this is one of the more serious threads and I was derailing it, something I try not to do. For some reason I thought I was in one of the threads that is more laid back and we can joke about things. You two just bring out the funny I guess.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length