RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 10:34:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Trophies From the Hunt | Tips n' Tricks for cleaning Hardware and Games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Tips n' Tricks for cleaning Hardware and Games  (Read 11060 times)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 05:40:43 AM »

Many people tend to forget that static electricity can build up and you could potentially damage delicate parts. Wouldn't hurt to pick up an anti-static bracelet or anti-static gloves for electronic repair, they only cost a few bucks.
That's true, but I read somewhere it's also safe when you "ground" yourself, for example, holding on to a radiator or something.
Tan
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 12:48:17 PM »

Many people tend to forget that static electricity can build up and you could potentially damage delicate parts. Wouldn't hurt to pick up an anti-static bracelet or anti-static gloves for electronic repair, they only cost a few bucks.
That's true, but I read somewhere it's also safe when you "ground" yourself, for example, holding on to a radiator or something.

A painted radiator may not neccessarily do the trick either. So many variables if your trying to improvise on something like humidity or material. You may even find some items you think are safe are making it worse, or forget that once you touch the doorknob on your way into the room you've gained static once again.

Would you really want to damage an expensive investment by being lazy or too cheap to spend $5 to do it right? Believe me, electronics like PC parts etc. don't ship in anti-static bags for no reason and any reputable repair person will have several proper forms of grounding at their disposal. Game hardware have delicate parts and motherboards too, you should treat them like you would a desktop PC your working on. Wink
MrFizzle
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 03:14:29 PM »

another think you can do to get sticky price stickers or tape off of things is to use a hair dryer so that it heats up the sticky stuff on the tag

it makes it much easier to get off
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 05:29:11 PM »

Does anyone have any tips for getting large amounts of sticker off of a disc.
Would the hair dryer or Goo-gone be useful in that case or would they damage the disc? Thanks guys.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
MrFizzle
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 07:01:44 AM »

Does anyone have any tips for getting large amounts of sticker off of a disc.
Would the hair dryer or Goo-gone be useful in that case or would they damage the disc? Thanks guys.
im not sure if that would work
i would try it on a crappy disc first to see if i damages it
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 07:06:23 AM »

A hairdryer would definitely warp the disc and make it unusable. Goo-gone sounds the best sort of thing to use. I don't think we have it over here but I've heard it's good.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 07:20:24 AM »

A hairdryer would definitely warp the disc and make it unusable. Goo-gone sounds the best sort of thing to use. I don't think we have it over here but I've heard it's good.
I think so too. If the disc you're talking about has a full print on it I think it'll be able to take it.

Sometimes I clean disks with alot of fingerprints and stuff with some water and a cloth on the data side...I've never broken a disk by doing that so removing sticker on the label-side should definitely be doable. Smiley
Tan
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 11:56:27 AM »

If you or your wife/girlfriend/roommate whatever has fingernail polish remover, try that. I've used it to remove black permanent marker off of discs even when they have printed topsides that have rough textures. If it's safe enough to put on the tips of your fingers you can put it on plastic. Something in it's chemical makeup makes it work better than standard rubbing alcohol. I imagine it works as well for cartridges and clamshell cases as well.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 07:03:14 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys!!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 07:51:44 PM »

I thought I would let you guys know I finally found the courage (and an easily replaceable game) to test the hair dryer to get stickers off of a card board box...... and it worked flawlessly. I used it on three seperate boxes a GBA box with EB games stickers, a PS2 box with EB games stickers and an N64 box that had a rental store sticker on it for at least 5 years. All three boxes look amazing now. Even the N64 one doesnt look like it ever had a sticker on it.

I've got some carts that have stickers over the game label, so i'll let you guys know if I have any luck removing stickers from labels using this method.

PS - Thanks again guys I'm totally pysched!!!

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 10:50:37 AM »

All three boxes look amazing now. Even the N64 one doesnt look like it ever had a sticker on it.
Awesome! I'm glad it worked out. Smiley
cverz2
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 11:06:05 AM »

BABY WIPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have found that baby wipes are an EXCELLENT way to clean dirty NES, SNES, N64 Carts.

There are numerous brands of wipes, you need to find a brand that is soft and thin.

"Parent's Choice" Real cloth wipes "Sensitive"  WORK GREAT

You just need a dry dish towel or paper towell to dry it afterwards.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 11:11:26 AM by cverz2 » Logged
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 11:16:57 AM »

BABY WIPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have found that baby wipes are an EXCELLENT way to clean dirty NES, SNES, N64 Carts.
Haha, awesome tip albeit a bit funny Cheesy
Moriya Hanzo
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 10:18:30 AM »

Not funny at all. I have use baby wipes for 4 years now.

Hungrymoose
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 01:42:23 PM »

I have a newly acquired black Wii with some scuffing/light scratching.  Anyone ever use something like this on one:

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G10307

I have some and was going to see if it helped but haven't yet.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length