RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 01:22:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Database Completion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Database Completion  (Read 1599 times)
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« on: July 28, 2008, 09:01:53 PM »

I was thinking I would start a thread just for informational purposes to show what still needs to be done in what certain databases, ex. Scans, Reviews, Info, ETC. I would consider an entry done if all scans and screenshots are done, and all info is present (except perhaps sub-genre or the publisher/developer combo. One or the other must be done, either dev or pub.). Also, if, in the case of the 32X, there are parts in the database that have no box or manual, then it will also be considered done. So! Without further ado:

Databases very near completion:

US Sega 32X
  • All games are finished, only hardware is left
  • Mainly Hardware pictures are needed

If you know for a fact that a database is done, or close to done, post here and I'll edit the first post.

PS: ahem Cough... STICKY... Cough Cough... Please

Tell me about your variants...
Tan
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 10:40:54 PM »

Until each 32x game page also has reviews and programmer credits it's still an incomplete page and until the North American, European and Japanese sections are equally filled out and scanned, the 32x section is still incomplete. I just want to clear that up so no one passes over that section in their efforts to contribute to the site because they think we don't need submissions in that area anymore, which is definitely not the case.

To give you an idea, I ran a query through the database. Only 34 games of the 37,000 have complete game page status, spread all through the database from different systems. Of that 34, from what I see so far, half of those will lose that status and go back to incomplete pages because most of them are far, far from complete. As far as reviews, there are 145 games with reviews in the database right now, most if not nearly all of them are North American, which is a real shame.

The more truly complete pages from any system and any region we can get, the more we'll have to work with for weekly featured games for our writers. Don't forget that we also encourage multiple reviews per game per page as well. Smiley
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:43:02 PM »

I should start reviewing some games. Maybe I'll write one up on arkanoid ds tomorrow.

Tell me about your variants...
Tan
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 10:47:05 PM »

I should start reviewing some games. Maybe I'll write one up on arkanoid ds tomorrow.

If more members started blogging their reviews, they may find some of them brought to the front page from the community blogs as well.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:48:27 PM »

This made me remember the long winded review I made for Kane and Lynch.

THAT'S TWO SEMI-CONTRIBUTIONS AND OVER 5000 WASTE OF SPACE POSTS

When shall his new form be revealed?
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 08:09:45 AM »

Tan, can reviews for games be on the short side aswell? Like, is a line or 10 enough to give people an impression about a game? Because if that's the case, I think I'll contribute by writing some reviews for games I have.

PS: 34 games complete? That's a rather sad number Sad
Tan
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 11:10:39 AM »

Tan, can reviews for games be on the short side aswell? Like, is a line or 10 enough to give people an impression about a game? Because if that's the case, I think I'll contribute by writing some reviews for games I have.

PS: 34 games complete? That's a rather sad number Sad

Absolutely. Here's a few examples of different sized reviews:

http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=U-115-S-02380-A

^^ Two different reviews of different sizes there.

http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=U-076-S-03550-A

^^ Long and well thought out review

http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=U-087-S-03541-A

^^ Short and sweet

Everybody writes differently with a different style, so don't feel the need to conform to what is already there. Just make sure it's clear and concise if your keeping it short. Smiley
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 01:05:25 PM »

Everybody writes differently with a different style, so don't feel the need to conform to what is already there. Just make sure it's clear and concise if your keeping it short. Smiley
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'll try doing some reviews in the weeks to come of some of the games I have. I'll check the database first, so it are games that haven't got reviews already.
Tan
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 01:07:58 PM »

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'll try doing some reviews in the weeks to come of some of the games I have. I'll check the database first, so it are games that haven't got reviews already.

We encourage multiple reviews for games as well, the more the merrier. It can be hard to gauge a game's worth based on a single testimony. Two or three or more you get a better feel for the game from different perspectives. Smiley
Tan
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 01:29:40 PM »

A handy bit of info for anyone wanting to blog their reviews and wanting to learn about the tag usage:

You'll notice that when you read the front page blog or the community ones, underneath the time and author, there is a line called "Posted under". This is where you find the "tags". Tags are like keywords used to both describe a blog entry as well as group similar ones. For example in my last review I had done, I used "Modern Gaming, Classic Gaming, PSP, Review" as my tags. In another, I had used "Modern Gaming, Review, RPG, X360, WRPG".

It's also a way to sort your blog entries for people wanting to read specific things. I for example, use Classic Gaming and Modern Gaming as my two primary tags. They separate new game posts (Wii, X360, PS3 etc.) from old ones (SNES, SMS, Atari). Then for my secondary, I tend to use "Review" and then maybe a genre like "RPG" and/or the Company "Sony" or "Capcom". By clicking on these tags, you can filter out all the blogs entries that don't relate to the one you are reading. So clicking on say "Sony", will only show you Sony related posts. The search at the top of the blog pages allows you to search the tags based on those same keywords as well.

There are no formal rules for making your own tags. Take a look through the blogs and the front page to give yourself an idea of what others use. Sometimes we add funny one or two word phrases just for the fun of it, other times we make them specific and stick to it rigidly to keep things in order. Whatever works for our own styles of writing and our wanting to share them with the community at large.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length