RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 06:13:44 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Thinking of importing... 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Thinking of importing...  (Read 727 times)
NESman93
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« on: June 19, 2008, 12:46:27 PM »

Recently, ive been looking around, and have been thinking about importing a Nintendo Famicom. Should i do it?

Now you're playing with power! Nintendo Power!

Consoles on my wishlist: Mega Drive (Japan), Genesis Model 1, Super Famicom, Famicom, SNES 2, NES 2, Neo Geo AES, 360, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, GameCube
Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 10:22:03 PM »

Aside from the price, I cant think of much reason not to have one.  Sure, you can get a converter to play most famicom games on a nes, but you wont get any of the differences in sound.  Plus, with a famicom, depending on which model, you can get a disk system and play some FDS games as well.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 12:46:24 AM »

By the sounds of it, if the price is right go for it... provided you already have games in mind you want for it that don't have a local port.

Out of curiosity, what is the sound difference?

Chainclaw
Jaguar CD
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 12:16:46 AM »

By the sounds of it, if the price is right go for it... provided you already have games in mind you want for it that don't have a local port.

Out of curiosity, what is the sound difference?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania_3 covers some difference (I'm sure there's more)
"The original Japanese version contained a specialized "VRC6" music microprocessor chip which was removed in the North American and European releases. This chip added two extra pulse-wave channels and a saw-wave channel to the system's initial set of five channels. The majority of the music combines the channels to imitate the sound of a synthesized string section. See: Multi-Memory Controller. The reason for this removal was that the US version of the NES didn't have the ability to support external sound chips, so the game was re-programmed for the USA release. Some of the percussion instruments were also slightly changed, even though the low-quality PCM channel was no less capable without the VRC6 mapper."

Also, why do you want to import?

If you just want to play some Famicom games, you're probably better off going with a Famiclome (check for compatability against what you want to play). They are significantly cheaper, and easily run on most TV's.

If you want it 'cause the original Famicom looks awesome, then be aware that there's a good chance it won't run on your TV without getting a Japanese VCR or modding the system. I got my brother an original Famicom for his birthday a few years back, and results varied per TV. His old TV before moving worked, my old TV worked (both had to be set to channel 90 something), but his new TV does not work.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length