RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 09:08:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | The Collection Diary 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: The Collection Diary  (Read 20232 times)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2008, 12:03:22 PM »

The time has come to make a second shelving unit like that for another room Wink
modest9797
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2008, 03:36:48 PM »

Perhaps a shelf on your celing.  All you need to do is figure out how to keep the games up there.  And how to prevent your roof from caving in if you get too many games on it.
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »

Well, it's finally happened, I'm completely out of room for games. I've got this stack of Sega CD and Saturn games that I just don't know what to do with. And if I get just a few more PS2, NES, SNES, Xbox, Genesis or PS1 games or any more boxed NES, SNES, N64, Atari games I'll be really screwed. As each shelf that those games are on are at or 1 away from capacity. I thought about rearranging stuff, but I think I've pretty much maxed out the storage space in this room.

I've got the best solution.  Give them to me Smiley.  You'll have room, and your shelves will be empty and ready to be filled again, right?  Works for the both of us Tongue
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2008, 04:46:55 PM »

Perhaps a shelf on your celing.  All you need to do is figure out how to keep the games up there.  And how to prevent your roof from caving in if you get too many games on it.
Although that does seem like an option, I find rooms that are literally filled to the ceiling with games pretty claustrophobic and not so pleasant to game in. For me, keeping the ceiling blank is important to keep the "peace" in a room.
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2008, 08:59:19 PM »

I just realized there was a huge error in my Excel sheet of my collection list. Basically for my totals, it was counting the totals for a few systems twice. I was wondering why I added around 30 games and the total was 60 more.

The time has come to make a second shelving unit like that for another room Wink
I don't think spreading to another room would be a good idea. Besides, my bedroom (the only room I'd be able to expand to) is already full of junk.

Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2008, 07:59:31 PM »

Cool topic!!

I decided to dedicate at least a couple days of my half-week vacation on getting my collection organized in more ways than one.  It's currently spread across three rooms, the garage, and in the basement, in various piles of goodies or boxes and storage cases.  On top of that, I've been buying stuff that I can't log on RFGen (homebrews, lots of bootlegs etc), so I'm starting to lose track of what I have, too.  As I needed a reason to go through everything (especially my NES stuff), I decided to finally put all my NES stuff together...box, manual, and carts.  I currently have it all stored separately, so I'm in the process of unflattening all of the flattened boxes, and then I'm going to put all the carts, boxes, manuals, styrofoam pieces, and dust sleeves together to save space and make the organizing easier.  In the meantime, I'm gonna record the condition of all the items so that I know exactly which items need to be replaced at a later date, and how many styrofoam pieces or dust covers I need to get (especially for the unlicensed games). 

The cool bonus to all this work is that I will finally be motivated to properly display my collection.  Right now, I only really display about half the NES carts, everything else is stored away (or piled up with new arrivals).  My reasoning was that storage was good as it would protect the items from sunfading, dust, etc, etc...but realistically I'm getting a bit tired of having a collection that can't be seen in its full glory.  Hopefully this will be the first step towards finally setting up a game room (although I honestly doubt I'll be able to dedicate enough space to display all of the accessories together).  At least I get to spend some time on improving my collection without any buying or selling Smiley

There, nice little diary entry...actually felt a bit like writing a diary..not that I've ever written in one before Wink
It's funny that when I wrote this, I thought it would only take me a couple of days or so...took me quite a bit longer. Wink  I'm glad to say that over the summer, I merged all the parts together, cleaned the games, made an excel sheet with all info & condition, and started buying more games vs accessories for a while to fill holes and get some missing manuals and boxes.  I also bought 6 glass display cases and a few bookshelves to finally display most of the games and some accessories.  I'm not 100% done yet due to recent arrivals, but I will definitely post some pics when it's all finished!

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2008, 06:28:16 PM »

It's funny that when I wrote this, I thought it would only take me a couple of days or so...took me quite a bit longer. Wink  I'm glad to say that over the summer, I merged all the parts together, cleaned the games, made an excel sheet with all info & condition, and started buying more games vs accessories for a while to fill holes and get some missing manuals and boxes.  I also bought 6 glass display cases and a few bookshelves to finally display most of the games and some accessories.  I'm not 100% done yet due to recent arrivals, but I will definitely post some pics when it's all finished!
Sounds great, I'm looking forward to the pictures. Smiley

And welcome back, too!
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2008, 11:33:14 AM »

Well, I'm out of room for boxed Genesis games and PS1 games (PS1 are actually overflowing into GCN territory). I think I'm going to box up the sports games and put them in the closet or something. That should buy me space for a couple dozen more games. I'm most likely going to put away the Intellivision games too.
And, I've still got a stack of Sega CD, Saturn and SMS games that I need to put somewhere.

NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2008, 05:32:41 PM »

I rearranged things a little bit and found room for the Saturn games on a shelf and I've got a little more room boxed SNES or N64 games.
And I have no place to put my last boxed Genesis game, so I can either box up and put away the sports games, or one of the variations. Taking away sports will give me 26 spaces, removing variations would give me 6 spaces. What do you guys think?

logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2008, 05:33:45 PM »

I rearranged things a little bit and found room for the Saturn games on a shelf and I've got a little more room boxed SNES or N64 games.
And I have no place to put my last boxed Genesis game, so I can either box up and put away the sports games, or one of the variations. Taking away sports will give me 26 spaces, removing variations would give me 6 spaces. What do you guys think?

Hmmm... Box all sports games up. No one cares about them. Cheesy Wink

Tell me about your variants...
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2008, 10:37:04 AM »

Hmmm... Box all sports games up. No one cares about them. Cheesy Wink
I agree.

But if I were you and I'd come into a position where I have room to display all again, I would of course display the sports games too. Smiley
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2008, 02:17:14 PM »

Box up the sports games you don't play.  Leave a few out for when the mood hits.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2008, 04:07:27 PM »

Pulling out the sports games is only going to be a temp fix anyways.
What you really need to do is start trying to find a way to reorganize.
Or finding ways to make new space.
Put the games 2 deep if possible.

NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2008, 03:56:41 PM »

I managed to move things around, I took out the Genesis variations so I'm good there, for now. I also moved around almost everything on my big shelf, so I have a whole shelf for NES games and one for PS1 games. But Saturn, GC, and boxed Atari games are out of room now.
Put the games 2 deep if possible.
It used to be that way when I had my collection in my bedroom and I absolutely hated it that way. So when I built my new shelves, I only made them deep enough to hold 1 row of games.

James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2008, 09:20:05 AM »

A fairly prominent member on another forum put up a wanted advert for a cheap Xbox 360 the other day. I then found out Tesco are selling the 60GB Pro for only £145 (Next cheapest I can find is £160 on Amazon) So I sent him a PM telling him about it with some advice on which one to get, why the Pro is the best value and why he should try to buy new if possible to get the full warranty.

It turned out it was going to be a Christmas present for his foster son. Social services give them £100 to spend on presents at Christmas and he can't really afford anything more, which is why he was going to buy an Arcade from Sainsbury's for £130, less a 15% staff discount from his aunt. That's a real shame because Sainsbury's were selling the Arcade for only £100 very recently. Undecided

It sounded like a good cause so I decided to help him out by sending him PGR3 and Forza 2. Cheesy They aren't worth a huge amount now but I thought he would be able to make some use of them with something to get him started.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length