RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 09:07:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | The Collection Diary 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: The Collection Diary  (Read 20231 times)
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2008, 12:22:36 PM »

I filled up the last shelf I had designated for loose SNES games, so I bought a boxed copy of a loose game that I already had so I could fit one more loose one in. But, I'm still out of room for 3 loose games, and I've got room for about 25 NES until I run out of room for them so I think it's time for another set of shelves. Which means I'll have to get rid of some shelves I have already to make room.

Mr. Ksoft
Sega 32X

WWW Stats
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2008, 12:35:02 PM »

Last night I removed a bunch of price stickers off my NES carts.  They look pretty good now.

Interesting stuff:
Monochrome Nightmares (self-made games)
Exploding Jellyfish (self-made music)
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2008, 12:53:07 PM »

Last night I removed a bunch of price stickers off my NES carts.  They look pretty good now.
I love doing that. There's something so fun about taking games that look like hell and cleaning them until they look mint, that is just so relaxing and fun.
Rental store stickers are another story though, nothing fun about those bastards.

Mr. Ksoft
Sega 32X

WWW Stats
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2008, 03:51:33 PM »

Totally agree with you there.  I had to remove rental stickers from 3 Genesis games as well yesterday, and they were SUPER annoying.  They were those stupid silvery ones that leave tons of residue.

But that at least wasn't the store's fault.  They try their best to put the easy-to-remove price stickers where they won't hurt the cartridge.  But wherever the owner bought up the games from... well, let's just say I'm lucky they didn't put those silver stickers directly on the paper labels.  I wouldn't have much left of the label.

My copy of Phantasy Star II is stuck like that, though.  There's a sticker in the upper corner of the label reading "G-02" and I'm pretty sure I'll ruin the label if I try to remove it. >_>

Interesting stuff:
Monochrome Nightmares (self-made games)
Exploding Jellyfish (self-made music)
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2008, 06:22:16 PM »

I love doing that. There's something so fun about taking games that look like hell and cleaning them until they look mint, that is just so relaxing and fun.
Rental store stickers are another story though, nothing fun about those bastards.

I'll give you 20 bucks to come over to my house and clean my games.  I have like 200 games with Gamestop stickers all over them from when some kids broke into my house and I haven't had any desire to clean them yet.  Sooooo much work
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2008, 07:36:42 PM »

I started designing my newest set of shelves, this thing will be huge, at 77" x 72" x 6" it will take up nearly an entire wall of my game room. It's going to replace 2 sets of shelves and a cabinet so it will make the room look a little less pieced together and it won't be as wide so I'll have a little more room in there. The design has a set of 6 compartments on one side that holds 154 loose Atari 2600 games and the rest of the unit will be all adjustable shelves. My calculations show that it will hold 720 loose SNES games which are the biggest games it'll hold, so it'll be even more NES games.
I hope to get started on it sometime this week and finish it by the end of the month.

logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2008, 10:10:37 PM »

I started designing my newest set of shelves, this thing will be huge, at 77" x 72" x 6" it will take up nearly an entire wall of my game room. It's going to replace 2 sets of shelves and a cabinet so it will make the room look a little less pieced together and it won't be as wide so I'll have a little more room in there. The design has a set of 6 compartments on one side that holds 154 loose Atari 2600 games and the rest of the unit will be all adjustable shelves. My calculations show that it will hold 720 loose SNES games which are the biggest games it'll hold, so it'll be even more NES games.
I hope to get started on it sometime this week and finish it by the end of the month.

I'm gonna be designing a new set of shelves myself as well. Thanks for reminding me to get going!

Tell me about your variants...
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2008, 10:05:33 PM »

I bought a really nice solid wood display case last week, I planned on only putting stuff that's worth over $50 in it. So I put in my FF7, Chrono Trigger, GreenHouse Game and Watch, and DKC soundtrack and realized those are really the only valuable things I have. So I put some other stuff in there as well, I ended up putting my new TG16 collection in there as well.

Also, I realized today that I've now spent over $500 on games & systems so far this year. I wish I would have kept track of how many games & systems I had at the beginning of the year so I would know how many I bought, but my best estimates are in the 150-200 games range.

Also, I've thought about buying one of those small barns (something like 12' x 16' ). I'd wire it all up, drywall the inside and generally seal it up from the outside elements and move my game room in there. My mom isn't really supportive of the idea however, and the fact that it'd cost me around $5,000 for everything, I doubt I'll do it. But it would be cool.

logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2008, 10:20:08 AM »

I just calculated out the sizes of the wood I will need for my shelves. There will be 3 shelves, and Each will hold 11 nes games high, by 4 nes games wide. A Pretty small shelf, but thats all I need. 11*4*3=132 nes games. It will hold nearly all of my collection.  Grin

modest9797
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2008, 01:21:49 PM »

I just calculated out the sizes of the wood I will need for my shelves. There will be 3 shelves, and Each will hold 11 nes games high, by 4 nes games wide. A Pretty small shelf, but thats all I need. 11*4*3=132 nes games. It will hold nearly all of my collection.  Grin

What happens when you get 133 NES games?
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2008, 04:27:11 PM »

What happens when you get 133 NES games?

I'll make more shelves.  Tongue

NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2008, 06:30:24 PM »

Kind of ironic that you're building your first set of shelves because I just found my blueprints for a set I was going to build when I first got into collecting. I planned it to hold "more games than I could hope to ever find"; 98 N64 games, 72 SNES games, 80 Genesis games and 98 NES games. Yeah, I'm glad I didn't build that after all. I'd have room for a few more N64 games, but everything else would have been full long ago. And it was the kind of design where the games are stacked on top of each other in vertical columns which means nothing but the games it was designed for would fit.

logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2008, 06:40:24 PM »

This will actually be the 2nd set of shelves I'll have designed. The shelves that my consoles are on I built myself. Pretty good, huh.

My uncle is a carpenter, so he gets me wood real cheap.  Cheesy

logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2008, 07:14:40 PM »

I finished cleaning my nes games except for 1 or 2, and I also finished off my 32X games. They look really minty condition. Smiley

imfromwisconsin
Donor

Stats
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2008, 04:15:04 PM »

Dear Diary,

Well.  I'm new to 'collecting' in the actual definition of the term.  I've been a gamer my whole life and just this year had started collecting 'next-gen' and working backwards.  I have a 'measly' collection compared to most people here, but am working my way up.  The problem is that I don't have any shelving or anyplace to put my current consoles/games.  So, I've resorted to the kitchen table (against a wall) and a mini-shelf/cupboard.  Inside houses my atari, genesis, snes, nes, n64 & miscellaneous controllers/cords -- not to mention the blank cd's, computer accessories, etc.  On top holds my games -- all stacked nice and neat but a gigantic pain in the ass.  Previously, I didn't have the mini-shelf and they were just scattered, so I guess progress is being made.  I've picked out a desk I want from IKEA that latches onto the matching bookshelves.  The area I have to put my stuff is very rectangular and not so much square so it's been difficult finding the right furniture for the job.  Plans for the next few weeks:  Take measurements of the 'gaming' area, convince girlfriend that the room should be mine, determine the number of bookshelves needed and re-arrange 'the office'.  Then, head to IKEA with a friend (with a truck) and spend a few hundred dollars and a few days putting together said desk/bookshelves.  Then, clean my games/consoles before organizing to my hearts content.  Finally, enjoy the glory of a well organized area and being able to play any console/game I have without having to find it, plug in the console or sit in an uncomfortable chair.

Until next time.

Your friend,
Ryan

"Sharing is Caring."
-Ryan
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length