RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 09:02:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | The Collection Diary 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: The Collection Diary  (Read 20230 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 01:40:13 AM »

The idea of this thread seemed to get lost quickly.

We already have threads for games the you have purchased...

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 01:51:51 AM »

Things are not looking promising thus far.
Cross checking some of my txts vs. RFG i seem to be missing at least 50ish games...
I have only gone thru my PS2 and Xbox games so far.

I'll  have to check my DC and PS lists next.

I can't think were those games could be hiding in the apartment so i am hoping my brother biffed the games before i took them south.
If they were "borrowed"(aka stolen and probably traded for one thing or another) by Aubs brother after i got south then i know they are gone for good

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 06:14:38 PM »

With that last group of Genesis games, I ran out of room on the shelves they were on so I had to move my PS2 games. The only place I have left was on the bookcase that was devoted to Nintendo games, so it felt weird putting them there. I'll probably have to build some new shelves once this semester is over.
I've also been throwing a very bad idea around in my head. Switching my bedroom and gameroom. Since my bedroom is about 50% larger, I could put all my games and records in there. It would be pretty sweet but so much damn work. The more I think about it, the more I want to do it, but I know I shouldn't.

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 09:42:31 PM »

With the two games I bought yesterday I have 7 arcade games now.  The problem I'm running into (other than running out of space) is that I'm not sure how I want them set up.

Having them look nice next to each other is pretty important to me and I can't figure out a good way to do it.  Right now I have 2 rows:  One row against the wall has 5 games on it (POW, Dig Dug, Sky Shark in a Gorf cab, Street Fighter 2 CE, and Galaga) and two in the other row (TMNT 4 player and Ms. Pacman) with the rows facing each other.  The TMNT game has an extended control panel so putting another game next to it doesn't look right because even though the other game is touching the control panel of the TMNT game, the games still have about 6 inches of space between them.

I don't want to move all of the games around multiple times to see what looks best, but that's the only solution I have.  I'm thinking of moving Ms. Pac-man over to the other row and leaving TMNT by itself, but I don't know.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 06:17:55 PM »

Put TMNT against a wall as an endcap to the 2 rows?

Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 11:11:01 PM »

For the past couple months I've been in the process of trying to organize my collection.  About a year ago, I decided for various reasons to box everything up and just not mess with it.  It either took up too much space, killed the thrill of actualy playing games, or I just didnt have the means to display it safely.  Finaly, I've got almost enough storage for everything and even a display case for my systems.  Hoping to figure out a few ways to optimize it though as I could always use extra space for the ever growing collection.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 12:49:45 PM »

I picked up a cassette tape holding drawer set, that I'm using for loose Genesis games. It holds about 120 standard size games, so even after putting all I could in there, it's only half full, so I've got plenty of room to grow Cheesy
However, I had to move a section of boxed Genesis games, so I'm out of room for those. Luckily, I think I've got enough wood to build a small set of shelves, that will be custom built to hold games Grin It'll be about 2 feet wide and 5 feet tall, the bottom will have to open because it's going where the heating duct is, so I'll have about 2'x4' of space to work with. I'll most likely devote it to Sega games, but that's always subject to change Wink  I've got 3 weeks of school left, so I should be able to get started on it before I buy too many games and really really need it.

Atarian75
Sega 32X
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 06:47:53 AM »

Most of my collection has been boxed up over the years, but I finally have a room that I can dedicate strictly to my collection. Slowly, I have been unpacking things and building new shelves to handle all the games. As I look at the space I have left to use, I still don't think I am going to have enough room to unpack everything. grrr I was hoping to be able to take some pictures of my collection in all its glory, but we will have to wait and see.

jamespmt
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 11:00:17 AM »

i posted all 50 nes doubles on craigslist.

i bought a nes rf adapter for 1$ yesterday.

nes - licensed - 5 to go.

Flintstones: Surprise, Jimmy Connors Tennis,
L'Empereur, Little Samson, Stadium Events
Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 06:43:22 PM »

Cool topic!!

I decided to dedicate at least a couple days of my half-week vacation on getting my collection organized in more ways than one.  It's currently spread across three rooms, the garage, and in the basement, in various piles of goodies or boxes and storage cases.  On top of that, I've been buying stuff that I can't log on RFGen (homebrews, lots of bootlegs etc), so I'm starting to lose track of what I have, too.  As I needed a reason to go through everything (especially my NES stuff), I decided to finally put all my NES stuff together...box, manual, and carts.  I currently have it all stored separately, so I'm in the process of unflattening all of the flattened boxes, and then I'm going to put all the carts, boxes, manuals, styrofoam pieces, and dust sleeves together to save space and make the organizing easier.  In the meantime, I'm gonna record the condition of all the items so that I know exactly which items need to be replaced at a later date, and how many styrofoam pieces or dust covers I need to get (especially for the unlicensed games). 

The cool bonus to all this work is that I will finally be motivated to properly display my collection.  Right now, I only really display about half the NES carts, everything else is stored away (or piled up with new arrivals).  My reasoning was that storage was good as it would protect the items from sunfading, dust, etc, etc...but realistically I'm getting a bit tired of having a collection that can't be seen in its full glory.  Hopefully this will be the first step towards finally setting up a game room (although I honestly doubt I'll be able to dedicate enough space to display all of the accessories together).  At least I get to spend some time on improving my collection without any buying or selling Smiley

There, nice little diary entry...actually felt a bit like writing a diary..not that I've ever written in one before Wink

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2008, 01:09:05 AM »

Realized today that at the current rate at which I collect more games/gaming related stuff, any room I use as my Ultimate Media Dungeon *tm Wink will be outgrown. 

Thankfully, I have a wonderfully understanding yet practical gaming wife (gamer holy grail, I get +2 to Happiness and a free Green Envy Spell) that is going to help me when we buy a house sometime soon.  I once wanted an entire furnished basement to devote to the project, but anymore I remember DanceDanceRevolution needs headspace and how much space my (future) arcade units will start eating up, and I'm at a loss.

*sigh* its a silly thing to fret over, to be sure, but as we collectors know, half the fun is setup and displaying our trophies, and I think most of us, like me, want a cross between a walk-thru museum and a beer-and-pretzels bar with couches and beanbags.

Anymore, when I look at my schedule, I wonder when I'll actually get around to, you know, playing this stuff. 
Thinking like this kinda gets me down.  Time to stay up all night and play some games.

Now, Halo 3 or Vectrex Mine Storm?  Maybe I'll just lie here on the couch while I decidZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz............
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 01:11:50 AM by slackur » Logged

Keelah se'lai
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 04:48:53 PM »

I'll probably have to build some new shelves once this semester is over.
I think I've got enough wood to build a small set of shelves, that will be custom built to hold games Grin It'll be about 2 feet wide and 5 feet tall, the bottom will have to open because it's going where the heating duct is, so I'll have about 2'x4' of space to work with. I'll most likely devote it to Sega games, but that's always subject to change Wink  I've got 3 weeks of school left, so I should be able to get started on it before I buy too many games and really really need it.

I've been working on that shelf since Memorial Day and it is now finished and holding games Grin
Overall, it's about 70"x28" and will hold approximately 325 PS2, Wii, GC, Xbox, etc. games or 175 boxed Genesis games.
Right now, the first shelf is full of PS2 games and the second shelf has a few more. The 3rd, 4th, and 5th shelves are full of boxed Genesis games and the 6th shelf is almost full, the bottom shelf is empty.
Now, my one shelf is back to Nintendo games only and I have a shelf to build my Wii collection on.
Now, some pics.
Before:
[img width=599 height=800]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/Mike_2_0_0_6/DSCN9395.jpg[/img]

Empty shelf:
[img width=599 height=800]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/Mike_2_0_0_6/DSCN9396.jpg[/img]

Shelf with games:
[img width=599 height=800]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/Mike_2_0_0_6/DSCN9397.jpg[/img]

I think the next shelf I build will be for my NES and SNES games since they're currently stacked one on top of another and it's a pain in the ass the add games. But that won't be for a while, since it will have to replace something I already have.

Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2008, 08:14:25 PM »

Awesome shelving NES_Rules, I applaud you.

NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 09:32:12 PM »

Awesome shelving NES_Rules, I applaud you.
Thanks.
I'm really loving having a shelf designed especially for games. It didn't come out quite as nice as I wanted, but definitely acceptable. I'm thinking about building some more, but that won't be for a while if I do.

NESman93
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2008, 08:28:11 PM »

Well, today i went to Game Play, the local used game store, and picked up a couple of things. I got a Honyu Explorer-1 NES Joystick controller, and a 1987 How to win at Super Mario Bros. strategy guide. We left, went to goodwill where i got an old 80's Arby's Promo Pac-Man glass.

Now you're playing with power! Nintendo Power!

Consoles on my wishlist: Mega Drive (Japan), Genesis Model 1, Super Famicom, Famicom, SNES 2, NES 2, Neo Geo AES, 360, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, GameCube
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length