RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 12:22:58 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Sequels that make you go >:( 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Sequels that make you go >:(  (Read 5223 times)
Tan
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 11:32:40 AM »

Shining Force I,II,II > everything that came after!

I have a feeling that there's never going to be another real Shining Force game. They keep changing the gameplay and then giving it some silly subtitle. The gameplay was what we loved! Quit messing around and just give us another Shining Force already!!!

Shining Force Neo/EXA > All it's predecessors

I could never get into the Shining Force series, just not for me I guess. But when Neo came out, somehow I knew I'd love it. I went and bought it plus the strat guide without hardly any research, it just felt right. Same thing with Ys: Ark of Napishtim versus the earlier Ys games.
I guess this one is a case of "Prequels that make you go no"

One more for the road:

2D Marios > Everything that has come after.

I'm sorry folks, there's a list of games that did wonders for me in 3D and others who haven't. Mario platformers in 3D just seem really bland and forgettable. Sure innovative this blah blah, milestone achievement that blah blah, but the 2D Marios have a timeless appeal and a higher degree of challenge. Shake off the impact Mario 64 had because of it's transition to 3D, and your left with a solid game that few people go back to and play anymore. Need another example? The appeal of NSMB on the DS versus the redone Super mario 64. 2D side scrolling platformer has a special charm not even Mario galaxy can't touch. Contra and Castlevania have much the same appeal, regardless of the year and where we are in gaming trends.
NESman93
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 06:52:05 PM »

Super Mario Bros.>Super Mario Bros.

The game was nothing like the first and nintendo just ruined Mario...until SMB3 cam out...thank God for that!

Now you're playing with power! Nintendo Power!

Consoles on my wishlist: Mega Drive (Japan), Genesis Model 1, Super Famicom, Famicom, SNES 2, NES 2, Neo Geo AES, 360, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, GameCube
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 10:32:08 AM »

Tenchu, after the first one the series just plummets with each new release.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 06:38:30 PM »

Tenchu, after the first one the series just plummets with each new release.
I have to agree to that, I completely forgot about that one.
(Mainly because I refuse to play any of the new ones now)

logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 11:37:08 PM »

All Sonic Games Except Sonic 3D > Sonic 3D Blast

I'm sorry, but 3D Blast was crap. A steaming load of crap. And (!) it wasn't made by Sonic Team.

Tell me about your variants...
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 01:00:53 AM »

Super Mario Bros.>Super Mario Bros.

The game was nothing like the first and nintendo just ruined Mario...until SMB3 cam out...thank God for that!

Um... Excuse me?
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 05:44:41 PM »

3D Blast (or Flickies Island) is pretty crap, however the level of how crappy it is really depends on the version you've played. The MD version was just laughable, with it's 3D bonus stages so easy it was a joke. If you haven't played it yet try the Saturn version, as it dose have a nice soundtrack and really good bonus levels... still not very good, but a lot better.

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 07:37:58 AM »

Shining Force Neo/EXA > All it's predecessors

Blasphemy!

Seriously though it's good that one of the newer games has got some support though through non-shining fans as it really missed the mark for those who loved the series prior to Sega taking complete contol over the series.

Rajaat the Warbringer
CD-i
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 09:51:35 AM »

Actraiser > Actraiser 2

For the second game in the series the developer decided to take out what made the first one so special. It became another generic 16 bit side scroller. I've still never gotten over it

I agree 100%

Also

Breath of Fire 2 > Breath of Fire 3
Chrono Trigger > Chrono Cross
Devil May Cry 1 > Devil May Cry 2 & 3
Final Fantasy 1 > Final Fantasy 2
Final Fantasy 4 > Final Fantasy 5
Final Fantasy 6 > Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 9 > Final Fantasy 10
Suikoden 2 > Suikoden 3

There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.

--Moby Dick
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 02:59:20 PM »

Westwood's C&C > EA's C&C

The war RTS that gave us the feeling of large scale resource management and strategy and unlimited replayability became another one of EA's mediocre titles and destroyed yet another fine studio. C&C Generals and  C&C 3 are the Julian Lennons of video games.

So true  Cry

Warcraft II > Everything after that

PDorr3
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 02:04:47 AM »

Jak and Daxter >> Jak2

Jak2 is not a bad game in any way, however I really loved the original world of JaD and though the turn tothe "GTA" style of Jak2 was way too harsh.
GnawRadar
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 11:51:25 AM »

Everything Command and Conquer Series > Generals and Renegade

Generals I think just missed the mark and Renegade was fun and stupid at the same time.

Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 > Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories

GBA game that just consisted of you hitting A until the game was over.

no
Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 01:17:30 PM »

Wow, most of what I see that's considered bad is stuff I actualy liked.

My pick would be Chrono Trigger>Crono Cross

The first game played so great.  The second had a great story but the biggest problem was the way one gained levels.  Sure, in theory it's great to make players have to overly think about what abilities to use and what ones not to, but realy, it's nice to be able to get a little bit of an advantage sometimes.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
Magewout
RFG Friend
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008, 05:09:29 AM »

Tetris DX> all other versions including Tetris DS
Tan
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2008, 11:12:57 AM »

Tetris DX> all other versions including Tetris DS

I agree 100%  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print