RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 12:23:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Sequels that make you go >:( 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Sequels that make you go >:(  (Read 5225 times)
lackofselfcontrol
Jaguar CD
Sweden

Stats
« on: January 11, 2008, 07:52:39 PM »

Die Hard Trilogy > Die Hard Trilogy 2

When the first DHT stood for carnage and blood, and making it seem so fantastically humorous, DHT2 failed miserably to continue it's fine name. What we got was a stale effort. Long gone was the happy fun times, in came grey and more grey. It felt like the colour grey. And no one thought anymore that killing people was worth the bullets they'd bought with their terrorist allowance. They just acted on old instincts, though their time was up a long while ago.

DHT = 8/10 vs. DHT2 = 4/10

Perfect Dark > Perfect Dark Zero

Awesome single player and even more awesome multiplayer. I would say the BEST FPS multiplayer game on whatever the console. I will admit it, co-op had bad framerate problems, but did it ruin the fun? Hell no, it was still perfection. My god, it's called PERFECT Dark, what did you expect?!
Ironically, Perfect Dark Zero was what it was. Zero enjoyment. No, wait, that's called exaggerating oh noes monsters run!!!1. It is a standard FPS game with sickening voice actors, plus the meaningless storyline as a bonus. The developers also seemed eager to take away all the great options from Combat Simulator, might I add. In return were nice, shiny graphics of course. Not BAD, but "shrug your shoulders"-OK.

PD = 10/10 vs. PDZ = 5/10
Tan
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 08:41:37 PM »

LttP > Everything on the consoles that came after

I'll throw the Legend of Zelda series out there. They raised the bar so high with LttP that the four 3D games that followed just didn't cut it for me. Ironically however I've enjoyed each and every handheld Zelda to date.

Need for Speed 1-6 > Need for Speed fast & furious ripoffs

This series used to rock, it had the cars, good music, weather, day/night, police chases, car damage and even local language police. Then they started churning out street racer sequels one after another with little or no features, never regaining that former glory. Even Most wanted and it's brethren never reached that same pinnacle, and with EA the way they are now, prob never will.

Westwood's C&C > EA's C&C

The war RTS that gave us the feeling of large scale resource management and strategy and unlimited replayability became another one of EA's mediocre titles and destroyed yet another fine studio. C&C Generals and  C&C 3 are the Julian Lennons of video games.

Contra Arcade,  8 bit and 16 bit > Contra PS1/Saturn + everything that followed.

I wouldn't even know where to begin. Parents always say if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. So I won't. I will add though that finally after 11 years they've redeemed the series with Contra IV, and as long as EA doesn't buy Konami too "Contra V" might be a good one as well. Tongue
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 08:46:53 PM »

Donkey Konga > Donkey Konga 2

Take a variety of good to decent songs and replace them with crap. That was Donkey Konga 2.

Super Mario 64 > Super Mario Sunshine

Sunshine was to themed, where was the variety of old? Where was the innovation? FLOOD was annoying. Thank god for Galaxy.

SimCity 2000 > SimCity 3000

No Floods? No Hurricanes? No Arcos? Bah.

Hello World.
cverz2
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 11:28:06 PM »

I'll throw the Legend of Zelda series out there. They raised the bar so high with LttP that the four 3D games that followed just didn't cut it for me. Ironically however I've enjoyed each and every handheld Zelda to date.

TOTALLY AGREE 100%
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 05:28:58 AM »

Tomb Raider 1, 2 and 3 > Tomb Raider 4 > Tomb Raider 5 > Tomb Raider angel of Darkness

The first three Tomb Raiders were great. Of course they had their flaws, but there were improvements with every succesive game. Untill Tomb Raider 4. Mainly because it was all set in the same boring desert country. Tomb Raider 5 was a piece of shit that made no sense at all. I don't even want to talk about Angel of Darkness.

Luckily it got better with Legend and Anniversary.
Ando
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 09:13:03 AM »

Donkey Konga > Donkey Konga 2

Take a variety of good to decent songs and replace them with crap. That was Donkey Konga 2.
Donkey Konga 1 had good songs? Whew, thanks for telling me. I never would have noticed.

For me,
Any previous Mana game > Children of Mana
It was a freaking dungeon crawler... It was my first, and subsequently taught me how much I hate dungeon crawlers. I was really looking forward to another Sword of Mana but NOOOO. None of THAT apparently.
Worst game released on my birthday ever.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 09:39:34 AM »

Burnout 3: Takedown > Burnout: Revenge

The dumbed-down controls for Revenge made this one a disappointment, imo.

jcalder8
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 11:21:24 AM »

TMNT 2 the arcade game > TMNT 3

It's a classic that still has yet to be toppled by another TMNT game

Double Dragon 2 > DD3

Number 3 is just too damn hard grrr

GoldenEye > all over Bond games

There is a reason why Goldeneye is still talked about but no one remembers the others

NHL 94 > all other EA NHL games

Greatest NHL game VS all the others need I say more?

Street Fighter 2 CE > SF3

IMO it doesn't get any better than SF2 CE
hXd
Algebraic!
SNES
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 12:06:35 PM »

Resident Evil 1, 2, 4, Umbrella Chronicles > All the rest

While I'm a big fan of RE, there were only a few that truly were awe-inspiring; the first for breaking ground in the industry, the second for improving dramaticaly upon the formula, the fourth for YET AGAIN breaking ground, and ONLY ONE of the spinoffs for the challenge and nostalgia.

nester
Sega 32X

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 01:02:22 AM »

Actraiser > Actraiser 2

For the second game in the series the developer decided to take out what made the first one so special. It became another generic 16 bit side scroller. I've still never gotten over it

Shining Force I,II,II > everything that came after!

I have a feeling that there's never going to be another real Shining Force game. They keep changing the gameplay and then giving it some silly subtitle. The gameplay was what we loved! Quit messing around and just give us another Shining Force already!!!
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 01:10:23 AM »

Actraiser > Actraiser 2

For the second game in the series the developer decided to take out what made the first one so special. It became another generic 16 bit side scroller. I've still never gotten over it

That was mine, too. The second one was such a let down after the first.
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 09:38:18 AM »

TOTALLY AGREE 100%
Same for me on Link to the Past.  Nothing has topped it yet in the series.

nester
Sega 32X

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 12:46:37 AM »

That was mine, too. The second one was such a let down after the first.

Well I'm glad it's not just me!
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 02:45:18 AM »

Shining Force I,II,II > everything that came after!

I have a feeling that there's never going to be another real Shining Force game. They keep changing the gameplay and then giving it some silly subtitle. The gameplay was what we loved! Quit messing around and just give us another Shining Force already!!!

Sadly Sonic Software Planning the team behind the original 3 Shining Force games (and also Shining Wisdom & Shining The Holy Ark) is no more. So all of these followups are just products of Sega of today.

I just remembered my most disliked sequel
Advance Guardian Heroes
Looks and plays like absolute crap. Anything and everything that made the original so special is gone and such a shite translation it wouldn't of been much better if it had been fan done. Way to kill a great game.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 08:18:49 AM »

TOTALLY AGREE 100%
Same for me on Link to the Past.  Nothing has topped it yet in the series.

You guys beat me to the punch.  The Link to the Past was the BEST Zelda game ever!!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length