RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2024, 12:24:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | RFGeneration IRC channel, feel free to join! 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Poll
Question: Should the current chat be replaced by IRC?
YES! The current chat sucks   -7 (46.7%)
NO! IRC is scary   -5 (33.3%)
What's IRC?   -3 (20%)
I Don't use chat because I'm shy   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: RFGeneration IRC channel, feel free to join!  (Read 6165 times)
Tan
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 10:47:54 AM »

3 of us in there right now Smiley
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 11:31:48 AM by Tan » Logged
Tan
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 01:25:17 PM »

We have a party going on in here Smiley

Check out the FAQ posted in the first post of this thread to find out how to join us.
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 03:46:05 PM »

So, the chat is intended to be a place for RF Generation Members to be able to chat, communicate, and have fun. It also currently has the nice feature of being integrated with the site, as in we have one registration for everything.  It also allows for those us unable to install Java but have Flash to join.

I really like that only registered members of THIS site can join the flash chat room. IRC is open to anyone, but we can possibly work around that. I just want to make sure that our solution is the best possible solution before it is absolutely set in stone.

Hello World.
Tan
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 08:10:09 PM »

So, the chat is intended to be a place for RF Generation Members to be able to chat, communicate, and have fun. It also currently has the nice feature of being integrated with the site, as in we have one registration for everything.  It also allows for those us unable to install Java but have Flash to join.

I really like that only registered members of THIS site can join the flash chat room. IRC is open to anyone, but we can possibly work around that. I just want to make sure that our solution is the best possible solution before it is absolutely set in stone.

The biggest advantage to IRC other than stability, is that we can make the channel private to members only and share files, have a topic header for discussion and all the myriad of benefits that a lot of us have enjoyed from using IRC for years. We could even open up a second channel to the public while keeping the first one private. Also we always keep two or more of the staff in the room as Ops to watch over it. IRC has a different code of conduct all to itself. it's always been a place to hang out sometimes not chatting for hours at a time, a nice way to sit idle.

I think there's room for both here. Hell we've had AIM and MSN chats before as well while we had the forum chat the same week. I think both will live fine side by side, MSN won't replace the weekly chat app and neither will this. Many of us have used IRC since the 90's, it's kind of comfortable to have both at our disposal.
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 10:23:04 PM »

Just got chatzilla. In the Chat now. Grin

Tell me about your variants...
Belgarath
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 07:06:37 AM »

Yup as Tan says irc chans can be made private, and if installing java is a problem for some, from what I can gather there are flash based irc clients as well.

edit: can the people who have voted no say why they voted that way?
Tan
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 07:38:03 AM »

The channel is now in secret mode, meaning it doesn't show up in the server lists anymore.  Wink
Belgarath
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 09:41:27 AM »

If you're stuck at work and can't use an irc program you could try
http://www.ospora.com/cgi-bin/irc/irc.cgi

Just remember to change the nickname and change the channel to #rfgeneration
Belgarath
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 05:38:53 PM »

There are people in chat now you know...

There's been a few people in all day, but the question is why hasn't there been more?

Join the chan, talk for a bit, then if you've got things to do, leave the window open and come back to it when you have a bit of time.

Let's try and get some use out of this chat channel, don't people like to chat or something?

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 03:00:29 PM »

Loading it now.

I'll get a couple hours use out of it today before moving.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2008, 11:45:15 PM »

I' m in. The flash chat is a bit of a resource hog, and it randomly cuts out.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Belgarath
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 03:08:10 PM »

Remember guys, it's time for the the weekly chat and it's now (for today at least) in IRC rather than the usual webchat.
Tan
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2008, 05:20:41 PM »

Great turnout folks, 9 in here right now. Smiley
Tan
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2008, 01:04:31 PM »

Chat is open and welcoming. So come, sit by the fire and tell us tale tales of game hunting and tales of game conquering. Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length