RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2024, 02:29:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | RFGeneration IRC channel, feel free to join! 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Should the current chat be replaced by IRC?
YES! The current chat sucks   -7 (46.7%)
NO! IRC is scary   -5 (33.3%)
What's IRC?   -3 (20%)
I Don't use chat because I'm shy   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: RFGeneration IRC channel, feel free to join!  (Read 6176 times)
Belgarath
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« on: January 08, 2008, 06:19:11 AM »

We should just have an irc chat room so it's easier to idle in there all day.

Here it is:

irc://irc.quakenet.org/#rfgeneration

FAQ:

download the Firefox add-on here:

https://addons.mozilla.or...US/firefox/addon/16?id=16

after the restart of the browser, go to tools>chatzilla in the browser menu

pick a nickname with the bottom left side button.

then type /attach quakenet and hit enter

then type /join #rfgeneration

that's it! if you have problems, here's an FAQ:

http://chatzilla.hacksrus.com/faq/

you can also use this link and copy/paste into the browser address bar if it's already installed:

Smiley
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 01:26:08 PM by Tan » Logged
Tan
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 07:23:47 AM »

We should just have an irc chat room so it's easier to idle in there all day.

Yeah irc has always been pretty reliable for the most part. It's been a long time since I have used it. We could always throw up a #RFGeneration channel on EFnet. Hell we could even XDCC a couple handy apps in the room every half hour or hour for new members like the image resizers and maybe text documents of the guidelines. I know browsers like Mozilla have irc built in which would be easier for those who'd get intimidated trying to figure out mIRC. This wouldn't replace our chat app, but maybe supplement it and offer an alternative.

The biggest concern would be strays popping in. We'd have to password it and then deal with the problems of handing out the pass without posting it on the site for the public to see. It is a registered member perk after all. Wink
Belgarath
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 08:14:13 AM »

Well if it does happen, please put it anywhere apart from efnet, efnet is effing awful!

as for passwords, well it's easy enough to set, and you can just pm existing members and send details in the welcome email for new members.

Everything else sounds good Smiley
Tan
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 12:03:35 PM »

Well if it does happen, please put it anywhere apart from efnet, efnet is effing awful!

as for passwords, well it's easy enough to set, and you can just pm existing members and send details in the welcome email for new members.

Everything else sounds good Smiley

What happened to Efnet? Turn to shit? Used to be one of the biggest with the fewest netsplits, at least the US and Canadian ones anyway. What about Dalnet?
Belgarath
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 12:26:49 PM »

I've not used efnet for a while, so not sure what it's like now, but it was pretty crap at the time.

Personally I'd recommend quakenet.
Tan
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 12:42:05 PM »

Quakenet is one of the default networks listed if you use chatzilla, a firefox add-on. Easy app to use for those who don't wish to have a complex program for this.

I started a channel for 10-15 minutes or so just to mess around with chatzilla a bit. Easy to use interface. Now we just need a PC that can dedicate itself to hosting the channel and a mod to sit in it. Tongue

I had thought of a teamspeak channel a while ago as well, that'd be neat. Nice to have alternatives for different users.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 12:58:42 PM by Tan » Logged
Belgarath
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 12:54:24 PM »

Chatzilla is pretty good, I have used it in the past.

Quakenet is a large server (and very stable), so with so many channels on there you've got less chance of random people attempting to join because your chan is just one of countless others and people who do use irc often are more likely to already be on quakenet.

And no I don't work for them Wink

edit:

I've just created an #rfgeneration chan on quakenet as a test
there's no key (for now)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 01:01:49 PM by Belgarath » Logged
Tan
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 01:19:58 PM »

download the Firefox add-on here:

after the restart of the browser, go to tools>chatzilla in the browser menu

pick a nickname with the bottom left side button.

then type /attach quakenet and hit enter

then type /join #rfgeneration

that's it! if you have problems, here's an FAQ:

http://chatzilla.hacksrus.com/faq/

you can also use this link and copy/paste into the browser address bar if it's already installed:

Smiley
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 01:30:31 PM by Tan » Logged
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 02:01:29 PM »

Move to Announcements and Sticky?

EDIT
even better throw up a global.

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »

Or if you have Opera, there's no need to install external software as it has IRC built-in. Cheesy

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Tan
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 02:50:12 PM »

5 of us in here so far  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 03:23:10 PM by Tan » Logged
Tan
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 03:33:41 PM »

Or if you have Opera, there's no need to install external software as it has IRC built-in. Cheesy

Both Mozilla and opera have it built in. Since Firefox is a "lite" version of Mozilla, you can download the add-on here:

Also, you can use any of the existing IRC clients like mIRC etc. found here, though it's more appropriate for advanced irc users:

http://www.mirc.com/

Just a note however, this is not replacing our weekly chats or it's applet found in the forum, but offers an alternative to supplement it. Smiley
Belgarath
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 03:41:51 PM »

this is not replacing the weekly chat applet (yet) Smiley

seriously, if you want people to just be able to click a button you could install something like a java irc applet instead.
Malygris
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 12:24:21 AM »

I'd rather see a proper IRC channel take the place of the current chat applet. The system as it is now, or at least before I fell away from using it regularly, is cumbersome and unreliable. A channel on a decent IRC network is far more stable, easier to idle in while waiting for other people to show up (particularly if you use IRC anyway), and for anyone who isn't familiar with IRC and doesn't want to get wrapped up in a client like Mirc, a Java client on the site that autoconnects to a set server and channel shouldn't be any harder to set up than the current applet.
Belgarath
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 06:34:35 AM »

Glad to see you agree Smiley

I've added a poll for people to vote on.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length