RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2024, 08:28:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6 0 Members and 14 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 400 Print
Author Topic: A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6  (Read 817386 times)
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5370 on: December 16, 2013, 06:10:34 PM »

Downtime was due to an attempt to optimize the database (again) and finding a new error. The forum was put into maintenance mode in order to prevent corruption of the databases while the optimization was taking place. The forum software is somewhat old, and we've been working on updating it, but it's a major undertaking due to extensive customizations and the site problems have pushed that effort back.

Incidentally, we're also under a DoS attack on our FTP server that we discovered, as well as the backup drive possibly failing again (which was the original load issue). There are a few other problems at hand that we're finding that are contributing to the extensive load.

Essentially - we're aware of the problems, but don't have enough manpower/time to throw at it.

If you find out who's ddosing I'll go break his legs.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5371 on: December 16, 2013, 06:57:16 PM »

If I had to guess, someone's using a botnet since quite a few of the IPs are from an unsuspecting server that's being utilized for it. It's nothing the site can't handle, since the logins/connections get rejected immediately, but it's interesting since the server itself was under DoS last time this started happening.

Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5372 on: December 16, 2013, 10:05:30 PM »

If you find out who's ddosing I'll go break his legs.

Why not make like George Zimmerman and use one of your pea-shooters to kneecap the guy. Time to stand your ground!

You should probably do it sober, though-- you'll have better aim that way.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5373 on: December 17, 2013, 02:56:59 PM »

But a weaker case in court.

Get wasted and plea temporary insanity.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5374 on: December 19, 2013, 12:13:51 AM »

The entire site needs a 56k warning on it because i feel like i am trapped in 1998.
(Actually the site loaded faster when i had dialup)

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5375 on: December 19, 2013, 01:42:56 AM »

I dunno, I don't think this forum is any worse than other ones (cough IMBD cough). Forums in general just look aged, I feel like no one's really updated the format in like ten years.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5376 on: December 19, 2013, 08:48:28 AM »

I don't care about the look. I just meant the loading times of 90 seconds and greater.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5377 on: December 19, 2013, 10:23:25 AM »

I used the site itself fairly heavily last night during "peak" hours where we see the issue fairly frequently, and it still doesn't feel like it's a database issue. It's literally spiking and blocking operations, and then suddenly everything clears up.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5378 on: December 19, 2013, 03:00:07 PM »

I used the site itself fairly heavily last night during "peak" hours where we see the issue fairly frequently, and it still doesn't feel like it's a database issue. It's literally spiking and blocking operations, and then suddenly everything clears up.

that's how it is for me too, i would think if it was something wrong with the database it would be a constant issue.
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #5379 on: December 19, 2013, 04:50:47 PM »

Maybe someone is standing on the cord and not letting all the gigabytes through. That's how these things work, right?

It does seem a bit better today though.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5380 on: December 19, 2013, 08:33:27 PM »

it's much better today, i can actually use it without getting frustrated at all
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5381 on: December 20, 2013, 02:41:03 AM »

I hear data is a stream. Maybe someone keeps turning off the faucet?

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5382 on: December 20, 2013, 06:32:12 PM »

the tubes are full
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #5383 on: December 21, 2013, 10:31:17 PM »

So my grandma was at one of the many fine KC area 7-11s when a group of would be robbers who came into the store. My grandmother is a chatty Kathy so once the clerks realized who was in the store and that caught a glance of a gun they egged her on to keep talking while one tripped the silent alarm. So my oblivious grandmother is just chatting away without a care in the world when a group of wannabe robbers is growing impatient but they at least had the decency to not open fire on an obviously kind and caring older lady.

Cops show up and detain the suspects, question everybody and let my grandmother and the clerks go about their business. My grandpa is angry that she forgot his ice cream.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5384 on: December 22, 2013, 12:15:20 AM »

So my grandma was at one of the many fine KC area 7-11s when a group of would be robbers who came into the store. My grandmother is a chatty Kathy so once the clerks realized who was in the store and that caught a glance of a gun they egged her on to keep talking while one tripped the silent alarm. So my oblivious grandmother is just chatting away without a care in the world when a group of wannabe robbers is growing impatient but they at least had the decency to not open fire on an obviously kind and caring older lady.

Cops show up and detain the suspects, question everybody and let my grandmother and the clerks go about their business. My grandpa is angry that she forgot his ice cream.

She deserves a medal.

Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 400 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length