RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 27, 2024, 12:17:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 400 Print
Author Topic: A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6  (Read 828363 times)
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #4515 on: January 06, 2013, 01:21:07 PM »

Am i the only person who refuses to buy a laptop?

Yes.

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #4516 on: January 06, 2013, 01:32:04 PM »

Yes.
You really are. Everyone I know who has bought a computer lately has bought a laptop even if they've always had a desktop.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #4517 on: January 06, 2013, 01:52:50 PM »

I have a laptop, but its a MacBook.

Its scarred me from buying a new laptop.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4518 on: January 06, 2013, 02:03:20 PM »

Yes.
You really are. Everyone I know who has bought a computer lately has bought a laptop even if they've always had a desktop.

I guess since i don't care about portability i can't see paying more for less.
Plus i hate batteries and it seems like most AC adapters are built to fail.
I can't remember who made it but it isn't commonly used (AFAIK) but where it jacks into the laptop the plug has a 90 degree angle so it doesn't hang and inevitably fray.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4519 on: January 07, 2013, 12:52:16 AM »

Yes.

I can't remember who made it but it isn't commonly used (AFAIK) but where it jacks into the laptop the plug has a 90 degree angle so it doesn't hang and inevitably fray.

i wouldn't "refuse" to buy a laptop, but i'm strongly against it...definitely paying more for less. i don't care much for portability either, i don't get out much besides work so i don't have any reason to need a computer on the go (i don't even have a smartphone).
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #4520 on: January 07, 2013, 09:01:12 PM »

No. I much prefer a proper desktop.
OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #4521 on: January 07, 2013, 09:40:20 PM »

I just get a big laptop.  I can pack it in a bag, but... portable it isn't.

You can't argue with a 21" screen.

it's thinking
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #4522 on: January 07, 2013, 09:56:25 PM »

I like my laptop because even though I don't go many places with it, I can move it around the house. I can sit on the couch with it, I can take it upstairs or downstairs and all I have to do is unplug one cord. Can't really do that with a desktop. Its just so convenient to have it all in one little package rather than all the pieces of a desktop that take up all kinds of space and half a mile of cables.

bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4523 on: January 08, 2013, 09:29:58 AM »

Yet another interview for a promotion this morning in two and a half hours. It's for the same position I got passed over for the last time...

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4524 on: January 09, 2013, 04:50:20 PM »

Yes.

You just have to keep an eye out for deals. I got a quad core laptop for only 400 bucks before the "next wave" came out and it makes my desktop seem an ancient relic. I was really surprised though yesterday, went to our local Micro Center Mall and all the new laptops have single core processors running at like 2.5GHZ...Which is the speed of my crappy desktops CPU from like 8 years ago.

I don't get it. It's like laptops are regressing and the consumer is too dumb to know any better. I blame Apple.

When shall his new form be revealed?
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #4525 on: January 09, 2013, 11:05:44 PM »

Hope you got the promotion bickman.  One of my co-workers was fired today for insubordination.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #4526 on: January 10, 2013, 01:31:11 PM »

You just have to keep an eye out for deals. I got a quad core laptop for only 400 bucks before the "next wave" came out and it makes my desktop seem an ancient relic. I was really surprised though yesterday, went to our local Micro Center Mall and all the new laptops have single core processors running at like 2.5GHZ...Which is the speed of my crappy desktops CPU from like 8 years ago.

I don't get it. It's like laptops are regressing and the consumer is too dumb to know any better. I blame Apple.

There may be some truth in there (the part about Apple Wink)....but:

Clock speeds between different CPU generations can't be compared 1:1. There was a 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 processor back in 2002, nearly 11 years ago. Today's 2.8Ghz processors would destroy that old P4, performance-wise.

Also, 95% of people are casual users who only browse the web, check Facebook and look at their photos. Even a 5 year old computer is plenty for that, atleast if it isn't crippled by bloatware, malware, spyware, ... (ironically mostly found on casual users' computers! Grin)

Those users would gladly trade some CPU horsepower for longer battery life, which is probably what laptop manufacturers aim for as well. Most laptop CPU's have a "boost" or "turbo" mode where the CPU can clock higher if needed. To be honest, with Intel Speedstep, every desktop CPU can do that to, but my point still stands.

Why I prefer desktops though, is because they're not restricted to a battery, because you can easily replace parts, because they're needed for most decent PC gaming and because repairs are so much cheaper. Having all different pieces (monitor, keyboard, computer) also means that if one of them fails, I don't suddenly lose my entire machine or have it shipped off to be repaired.

I'd gladly admit though that desktops are mostly dead for the casual user. Most of the cheap, pre-built desktop machines aren't much better than the average laptop and lack the expansion options that a true self-built desktop offers.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4527 on: January 14, 2013, 03:51:07 AM »

It's been a pretty mild winter since I've been back in the UK. Mostly around 10*c and overcast but not raining.

Today the car is getting picked up to be exported to New Zealand.

FUCK.

[img width=700 height=467]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8185/8378975837_52f47bf2b1_c.jpg[/img]
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #4528 on: January 14, 2013, 07:22:52 PM »

^ Indeed. There's been no snow here in Belgium all winter except once in november and that melted right away. We just got snow by the same clouds that you had in England. Weather almost always passes over the UK that we then get a couple hours later.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4529 on: January 14, 2013, 10:17:12 PM »

we've had only one day of snow this year here, and it didn't even stick to the ground...stopped falling after an hour or so. definitely a warmer than usual year here.
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 400 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length