RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 20, 2024, 12:20:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6 0 Members and 22 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 400 Print
Author Topic: A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6  (Read 815751 times)
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3765 on: April 03, 2012, 08:47:18 PM »

My neighbours said they found a dead rat with its face smashed in. No sign of the trap, though.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3766 on: April 03, 2012, 09:41:43 PM »

I bet the neighbors stole it.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3767 on: April 03, 2012, 09:54:14 PM »

The rat, or the trap?

bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3768 on: April 04, 2012, 08:42:55 AM »

The rat, or the trap?

First one, then the other.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #3769 on: April 04, 2012, 04:25:35 PM »

My PS3 broke today.

Sigh.

Anyone had any experience getting the YLOD fixed? Is it worth sifting through all of the "repairmen" on Craigslist to find someone trustworthy, or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new/used one?

If it's out of warranty, then you have nothing to loose by trying to fix it yourself. It could make for an exciting project!

This seems to be a detailed guide and quite fun, too! http://playstationlifesty...ead.php?t=2376&page=1

My browser detected malware on that site, not sure if its true or not but I'm going to go ahead and post another good link anyway.

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Sony_Game_Console

I'll will probably try that at some point, but from everything I've heard, it's merely a temporary fix. What I can't seem to figure out is whether this repair would force me to reformat my drive/lose all of my game data? Anyone know for sure?

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #3770 on: April 04, 2012, 07:14:37 PM »

I'll will probably try that at some point, but from everything I've heard, it's merely a temporary fix. What I can't seem to figure out is whether this repair would force me to reformat my drive/lose all of my game data? Anyone know for sure?

I did a bit of research, and it's not looking good I'm afraid.

- If you did a back up of your data recently then there's nothing to worry about.
- If your PS3 is connected to the Internet then you'll still have your trophies and things like experience in certain games.
- If you use the PSN utility for backing up your save files then those are secure.
- Trying to put the hard drive of your YLOD PS3 into another PS3 won't work, as the other PS3 will demand you to format the drive (thus wiping out all data on it). Don't even try this.
- You should be able to attach the hard drive to a PC (if you know how) and the PC should be able to recognize it. The problem is that you won't be able to back up/retrieve any "protected" data, which from the sound of it is pretty much everything. Only non-protected data like videos, photos and *some* save files are retrievable.

If I were you I'd not mess around with my hard drive until after fixing the YLOD problem. Chances are your hard drive is just fine, and if you leave it in your PS3 (if that's possible for the fix) it'll be there like before. If not, you can still try the PC method and see what you can find.

If the PC method isn't succesful then at the very least you'll have to re-download demos, PSN games, ... and re-install game data when you first want to play your games.

Sources:
http://www.1up.com/boards/posts/list/50188.page
http://community.eu.plays...hod-possible/td-p/8777158

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:16:09 PM by Sirgin » Logged
BadEnoughDude
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3771 on: April 04, 2012, 07:21:42 PM »

No recent backups. The repair definitely requires that the hard drive be removed, but I'm thinking that removing/replacing it while the console is off and not connected to any power source might mean that it would be fine?

The only thing I want is my game save data. I can deal with losing all of the media that I have stored on it. Unfortunately, the save data is "protected" and not recognizable on a PC.

Sigh.

Minnesota represent.
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #3772 on: April 04, 2012, 07:24:46 PM »

but I'm thinking that removing/replacing it while the console is off and not connected to any power source might mean that it would be fine?

It might just work. So you know what to do...dissasemble the unit, do the YLOD fix, reassemble everything and hope for the best.

Every other situation will lead to you losing your save files, I'm afraid.

BadEnoughDude
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3773 on: April 04, 2012, 09:05:20 PM »

but I'm thinking that removing/replacing it while the console is off and not connected to any power source might mean that it would be fine?

It might just work. So you know what to do...dissasemble the unit, do the YLOD fix, reassemble everything and hope for the best.

Every other situation will lead to you losing your save files, I'm afraid.

Think I'm gonna give it a whirl. Ordered one of the kits with the thermal pads and paste from ifixit, so I should be able to make a go of it sometime next week.

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Minnesota represent.
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3774 on: April 05, 2012, 01:36:07 PM »

Tags pics. Make it into a feature length... thread/blog.

hXd
Algebraic!
SNES
United States

Stats
« Reply #3775 on: April 05, 2012, 08:35:32 PM »

So my mustache campaign came to an end this morning, shaved off the Bronson stache I had for about 2 weeks. I'm gonna stay relatively clean shaven now until Sept. 1st. when I'm considering going a year without cutting my hair or shaving my face. Naturally I will trim and shape the beard and keep my neck clean, but it will grow for a year. I'm ready for all of the insults and whatnot, because I believe in setting goals and keeping them.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3776 on: April 06, 2012, 12:44:12 PM »

Make everyone you know watches the movie Knocked Up so they can get some ideas for the insults.

Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #3777 on: April 07, 2012, 03:56:09 AM »

Who invented work, it's shit!

hXd
Algebraic!
SNES
United States

Stats
« Reply #3778 on: April 07, 2012, 11:49:50 AM »

Make everyone you know watches the movie Knocked Up so they can get some ideas for the insults.

One friend of mine said he's already memorizing all of them. Smiley

Barracuda
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3779 on: April 07, 2012, 12:41:14 PM »

I love E/M coding. That is all.

Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 400 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length