RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 10:21:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6 0 Members and 23 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 400 Print
Author Topic: A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6  (Read 841340 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2565 on: December 14, 2008, 03:25:36 PM »

98 SE.

logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #2566 on: December 14, 2008, 03:32:12 PM »

98 SE.

Totally.

And XP crazy fast? Never heard of a Windows machine EVER being fast. I had 98 SE installed on a 2.5Ghz processor and it was STILL slow. Fast and Windows are 2 words that really ought not be in the same sentence together, in my opinion. Tongue

Tell me about your variants...
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2567 on: December 14, 2008, 06:46:43 PM »

I am Christmassy now.

Mr. Ksoft
Sega 32X

WWW Stats
« Reply #2568 on: December 14, 2008, 06:52:22 PM »

98 SE.

Totally.

And XP crazy fast? Never heard of a Windows machine EVER being fast. I had 98 SE installed on a 2.5Ghz processor and it was STILL slow. Fast and Windows are 2 words that really ought not be in the same sentence together, in my opinion. Tongue
You're doing it wrong then.

Look, I'm not a Microsoft lover (in fact I'd love to switch to Linux if it weren't for a few programs that do not have equivalents in Linux and my iPod which has too flaky of support) but really you CAN make Windows XP fast.  You just have to be careful as to what you do to it.  With my fresh start here, I'm being very selective as to what I install and if I install something for a single use I actually remove it when I'm done.  Additionally I've been cracking down on programs that run themselves (and sometimes several extra processes) in the background.  I also have tweaked up my services and startup configuration (turning off unnecessary stuff).  And it does seem to be working, as the computer is still booting in <20 seconds (from XP logo screen to the desktop being usable) and the main OS is extremely snappy.  I'm basically running with 29 processes AFTER I have my usual programs open (Firefox, uTorrent, Pidgin, Winamp, along with firewall, antivirus, and my printer's required tray program) which is pretty insane.  On my last install, which was the one from the factory (didn't have an XP disk then) this same setup was running around 59 for some reason!!
The only lag I've had so far is when I was encoding a video and trying to surf the web at the same time, but that's understandable because my computer is probably not the best for video encoding.

Also for comparison, at least with boot times, a fresh install of Ubuntu on here takes about 3-4 minutes to boot each time.  Windows seems to be miles ahead of it there.  (Although Linux is better overall IMHO)

(BTW, your issues with 98SE on modern hardware are probably caused by the modern hardware.  You probably didn't have drivers for your video card, as anything from the past five years or so doesn't seem to have 98SE support.  I know that when I just installed XP my integrated graphics were driverless and this pretty much meant that the entire OS looked like it was crawling along due to it doing all graphics operations in software.  You could see windows redraw themselves as you dragged them around.  Installed the driver, though, and that's gone and it's fast)

Interesting stuff:
Monochrome Nightmares (self-made games)
Exploding Jellyfish (self-made music)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #2569 on: December 14, 2008, 06:56:24 PM »

I am Christmassy now.
Haha! Cheesy
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2570 on: December 14, 2008, 07:58:30 PM »

98 SE.

Totally.

You're doing it wrong then.

Look, I'm not a Microsoft lover (in fact I'd love to switch to Linux if it weren't for a few programs that do not have equivalents in Linux and my iPod which has too flaky of support) but really you CAN make Windows XP fast.  You just have to be careful as to what you do to it.  With my fresh start here, I'm being very selective as to what I install and if I install something for a single use I actually remove it when I'm done.  Additionally I've been cracking down on programs that run themselves (and sometimes several extra processes) in the background.  I also have tweaked up my services and startup configuration (turning off unnecessary stuff).  And it does seem to be working, as the computer is still booting in <20 seconds (from XP logo screen to the desktop being usable) and the main OS is extremely snappy.  I'm basically running with 29 processes AFTER I have my usual programs open (Firefox, uTorrent, Pidgin, Winamp, along with firewall, antivirus, and my printer's required tray program) which is pretty insane.  On my last install, which was the one from the factory (didn't have an XP disk then) this same setup was running around 59 for some reason!!
The only lag I've had so far is when I was encoding a video and trying to surf the web at the same time, but that's understandable because my computer is probably not the best for video encoding.

Also for comparison, at least with boot times, a fresh install of Ubuntu on here takes about 3-4 minutes to boot each time.  Windows seems to be miles ahead of it there.  (Although Linux is better overall IMHO)

(BTW, your issues with 98SE on modern hardware are probably caused by the modern hardware.  You probably didn't have drivers for your video card, as anything from the past five years or so doesn't seem to have 98SE support.  I know that when I just installed XP my integrated graphics were driverless and this pretty much meant that the entire OS looked like it was crawling along due to it doing all graphics operations in software.  You could see windows redraw themselves as you dragged them around.  Installed the driver, though, and that's gone and it's fast)

Yeah, I had a similar experience after my last reformat on my old PC. I slimmed everything down, stopped a shit ton of processes and even now, as it's been getting spywared and God knows what else being my sister's machine, it's still pretty zippy after about 3 years.

When shall his new form be revealed?
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #2571 on: December 14, 2008, 08:35:08 PM »

Switch to OS X, problem solved. Boot time, 9 seconds.

I win. Tongue

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2572 on: December 14, 2008, 11:18:55 PM »

I win. Tongue

Game time, 0 seconds.

I play video games.

BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #2573 on: December 14, 2008, 11:27:09 PM »

I picked myself up a Christmas tree tonight. I paid way too much for it, but feel like it was worth it Smiley

The wind chill right now is -22. It's fucking cold out. The high for tomorrow is supposed to be -5. I assume wind chills will be somewhere between -30 and -40. I really hope that they cancel classes.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2574 on: December 15, 2008, 01:50:43 AM »

It's downright balmy here. I do enjoy a few moments of going outside and not freezing to death every now and again.

BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #2575 on: December 15, 2008, 03:31:29 AM »

-36 windchill right now.
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #2576 on: December 15, 2008, 07:52:53 AM »

wooteth. Only 4 days and a half day until 2 weeks of sleeping in late. Tongue

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #2577 on: December 15, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »

wooteth. Only 4 days and a half day until 2 weeks of sleeping in late. Tongue
laugh I've been on break since Wednesday, and I don't go back until January 12th Grin

Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2578 on: December 15, 2008, 10:23:57 AM »

No break for the slaves of the system.  I'm here monday thru friday regardless what holiday it is.  On a good note I get paid time and a half and watch dvd's all day.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #2579 on: December 15, 2008, 11:45:18 AM »

I win. Tongue

Game time, 0 seconds.

I play video games.
Ouch. Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 400 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length