RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 06:19:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6 0 Members and 15 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 400 Print
Author Topic: A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6  (Read 839498 times)
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2145 on: November 01, 2008, 07:16:59 PM »

The funny thing is that global warming will lead to a catastrophic global cool down in the end. Funny how these things work.

Hello World.
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #2146 on: November 01, 2008, 09:08:05 PM »

Easy button: that was easy.

Tell me about your variants...
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2147 on: November 02, 2008, 05:39:42 AM »

Lookie what I found!  laugh

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/...productInformationSection

yuck

* 817405.jpg (25.08 KB, 463x500 - viewed 156 times.)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #2148 on: November 02, 2008, 07:40:40 AM »

What is "normal" I understand it was constant for a number of years, but whose to say that period of time wasn't also abnormal? The CO2 concentrations fluctuate all the time, it may just be a coincidence the levels are rising rapidly in the last 100 years, we just don't know. For all we know, there may be more plants on the Earth now that are doing cellular respiration than there were 100 years ago, which would be a natural source of CO2. Or maybe there's more volcanoes spewing out CO2?
Come on, now you're not even trying to make sense.

Don't use the "we're stupid humans, we don't know anything about nature." arguement because that's just not true.

Why do you act like everything is a guessing game? Never heard of scientists before? The amount of CO2 "spewed out" by volcanoes can be measured with more than enough accuracy to determine they're not the cause of this massive increase of CO2 or greenhouse gasses in general. The same goes for plants.

Yes, it is true that nature changes "constantly". That's completely correct. But try to understand that 100 years is like a split-second for nature and that the massive changes that are happening right now simply cannot be caused by nature itself. It's been proven. Stop acting like we're ignorant fools.

But anyway, this is the last you'll here from me (for now) about this subject. If you don't even believe in science and probably don't believe Darwin either then you shouldn't be in this discussion because all you do is say "We don't know anything and it's not true."

@Tan: I see you know a lot about the subject, I'm glad atleast someone realises just how bad the situation is/will become if we don't do something about it.
TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2149 on: November 02, 2008, 11:23:39 AM »

This thread is getting a bit too related. I wonder if I should split out this discussion.

Hello World.
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #2150 on: November 02, 2008, 11:52:21 AM »

What is "normal" I understand it was constant for a number of years, but whose to say that period of time wasn't also abnormal? The CO2 concentrations fluctuate all the time, it may just be a coincidence the levels are rising rapidly in the last 100 years, we just don't know. For all we know, there may be more plants on the Earth now that are doing cellular respiration than there were 100 years ago, which would be a natural source of CO2. Or maybe there's more volcanoes spewing out CO2?
Come on, now you're not even trying to make sense.

Don't use the "we're stupid humans, we don't know anything about nature." arguement because that's just not true.

Why do you act like everything is a guessing game? Never heard of scientists before? The amount of CO2 "spewed out" by volcanoes can be measured with more than enough accuracy to determine they're not the cause of this massive increase of CO2 or greenhouse gasses in general. The same goes for plants.

Yes, it is true that nature changes "constantly". That's completely correct. But try to understand that 100 years is like a split-second for nature and that the massive changes that are happening right now simply cannot be caused by nature itself. It's been proven. Stop acting like we're ignorant fools.

But anyway, this is the last you'll here from me (for now) about this subject. If you don't even believe in science and probably don't believe Darwin either then you shouldn't be in this discussion because all you do is say "We don't know anything and it's not true."

@Tan: I see you know a lot about the subject, I'm glad atleast someone realises just how bad the situation is/will become if we don't do something about it.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that regardless of what we do, the Earth will always repair itself, although it could be drastically different that the world we know now. As humans, we're just stuck in the mindset that this is how the Earth, this is how it's supposed to be, and this is how should always be.
And don't get me wrong, I care deeply about the environment, it's my future career path in fact, and I do whatever I can to take care of the Earth. And yes, as humans, the Earth warming or cooling would be very, very bad. It probably will result in the extinction of our species and many other species. But I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing, we're really just another organism and different organisms have come and gone for billions of years, and we shouldn't try to "fix" cycles that are natural.

The truth is we're going to go extinct at one point, the spotted owl will go extinct at one point, lions, tigers, and bears (oh my) will be extinct at one point. And creatures went extinct long before we got here, surely greenhouse gases didn't kill the dinosaurs. It's just a fact the Earth goes through cycles of death and life, hot and cold. What do doesn't matter in the long run.

Like you said, 100 years is nothing, a mere blip in time. So if the temperature rose near you to maybe 70 degrees Fahrenheit when it should be 30, for a single day, you wouldn't really notice it would you? It would just be a "ohh, this is strange" and then the next day it's back to 30. That's kind of similar to CO2 being high for 200 years.

And one thing that has always intrigued me, is they say CO2 emissions have been increasing since 1850 during the industrial revolution, but how did they measure it back then? I would venture to guess there hasn't been a way to measure CO2 since the 1960's and it probably wasn't accurate to the ppm until the 70's. And they can't do ice core samples since then since the ice has been melting since the 1850's.

So, all in all, I like this world we live in, and I do want to preserve it for as long as we can like this. But in the end, the Earth will change, and there is nothing we can do about it.

This thread is getting a bit too related. I wonder if I should split out this discussion.
You probably should, related things in an unrelated thread never work out.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #2151 on: November 02, 2008, 12:05:31 PM »

^ I agree with most of what you said there and think it's a nice way to wrap up this discussion. Smiley

Feechy
Neo Geo AES
United States

Stats
« Reply #2152 on: November 02, 2008, 12:07:39 PM »

So.... Does anybody else here like cow's tounge?

<Alfador> stop trying to rain on my parade
<Kimoosabi> Your parade is stupid!
<Alfador> my parade is TIGHT
-
Crabmaster2000: dont talk to him or he'll try to sell you modded playstations
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2153 on: November 02, 2008, 12:26:53 PM »

I thought dad tried to feed me cow's tongue once before but it was actually duck. It was dark and I couldn't see it well. Tongue
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2154 on: November 02, 2008, 12:53:58 PM »

Mmmmm duck.

When shall his new form be revealed?
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2155 on: November 02, 2008, 04:03:33 PM »

OH MY GOD THE BENGALS WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 06:49:41 PM by TraderJake » Logged

When shall his new form be revealed?
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2156 on: November 02, 2008, 04:25:18 PM »

They can still make it to 8 and 8!!!!!!

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #2157 on: November 02, 2008, 05:44:49 PM »

As of today I can solve a Rubik's Cube!  Cool

It takes me about 5min if I don't mess anything up past the half-way point.

Completely useless if you ask me, but so many things are anyway. Wink
Feechy
Neo Geo AES
United States

Stats
« Reply #2158 on: November 02, 2008, 06:40:48 PM »

What if you need to be able to solve a Rubix Cube to disarm a bomb?

<Alfador> stop trying to rain on my parade
<Kimoosabi> Your parade is stupid!
<Alfador> my parade is TIGHT
-
Crabmaster2000: dont talk to him or he'll try to sell you modded playstations
TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2159 on: November 02, 2008, 06:50:06 PM »

I had to cut down the number of exclamation points there, Evan.

Hello World.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 400 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length