RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 06:17:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 400 Print
Author Topic: A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6  (Read 839489 times)
Tan
« Reply #2115 on: October 29, 2008, 05:43:20 PM »

Depends on many factors including the steel used, forged versus machined, stamped/riveted/welded, etc. etc.

Butterfly/Balisong knives are overrated. Fancy moves won't help you when it's unwieldy handle makes it harder to use than a proper knife with a proper handle. That and the 2-5 seconds it takes most people who don't have ^that guys free time on their hands to open it can be a real hindrance. No tactical value to them whatsoever. Though I'm sure you can amuse onlookers for spare change when your in a jam, assuming your in a country where it's legal to carry one in public.

Since we are on the subject, this is my everyday carry:

http://www.kershawknives..../productdetails.php?id=92

and outdoor/camping:

[img width=315 height=400]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd38/schattupon/usn-mk3.jpg[/img]

except I have a homemade sheath I whipped together using parts of the original plus ideas of my own:

[img width=550 height=317]http://doublebarreled.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/001.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 05:50:15 PM by Tan » Logged
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #2116 on: October 29, 2008, 06:05:21 PM »

Butterfly/Balisong knives are overrated. Fancy moves won't help you when it's unwieldy handle makes it harder to use than a proper knife with a proper handle. That and the 2-5 seconds it takes most people who don't have ^that guys free time on their hands to open it can be a real hindrance. No tactical value to them whatsoever.
Thanks Tan. Smiley

I was expecting such an answer but because of me being unfamiliar with the subject I'd wanted to know for sure. I wonder why people pay so much money for knives that aren't useful, unless you can call doing what that guy is doing useful.
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #2117 on: October 29, 2008, 06:09:00 PM »

Butterfly knifes can break if they aren't taken care of properly, but usually you can't break one unless you wanted to.

The heck do you know about knives?! Your mom took away the one knife you have, and you thought it was a swiss army knife. LEARN GRASSHOPPER, LEARN!

No seriously dude...

Tell me about your variants...
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #2118 on: October 29, 2008, 06:20:19 PM »

Not to make fun of butterfly knives or butterfly knives enthusiasts but I just realised it's the same thing as pen spinning! Lol Cheesy

See for yourself:

Movie of a person doing butterly knife tricks in his/her bedroom:

Movie of a person doing penspinning in his/her bedroom:

It's the same thing...also note the "heavy" music accompaning both videos to mask the sheer dullness of the activities displayed. Wink
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #2119 on: October 29, 2008, 06:31:18 PM »

Since we are on the subject, this is my everyday carry:

http://www.kershawknives..../productdetails.php?id=92

and outdoor/camping:

I've always preferred Craftsman brand knives myself. They're obviously not the highest quality, but they're tough enough for 90% of usage and if they ever break, a quick trip to Sears and I get a new one free. For my hunting uses I use a Craftsman and for everyday purposes I'm using a Sheffield that I won at a golf outing, but I've used those folding utility knives a lot and love them too.

[img width=700 height=524]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/Mike_2_0_0_6/DSCN0667.jpg[/img]
The top is my Craftsman hunting knife (I've had it since 1997) and the bottom is my everyday Sheffield.

Tan
« Reply #2120 on: October 29, 2008, 06:48:13 PM »

I have a couple inexpensive folders like the top one in your pic including a Buck 110 which is the forebearer of that style. 420 stainless while a bitch to sharpen well, it good for wet weather. Living on the coast almost requires that you have something corrosion resistant as most of these buck styled folders are. Nice Sheffield BTW, well made knives with a long history of quality. Smiley

Bought my wife one of these for her birthday:

Swiss Army Fireman

she uses it nearly every day!  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 06:58:40 PM by Tan » Logged
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #2121 on: October 29, 2008, 07:30:19 PM »

Yeah, I would love to get a Buck but they're so expensive, and since I really don't use the knife that often, a lower quality one is perfect. And since all I use it for are gutting and skinning 1 or 2 deer a year, I don't even have to sharpen it much, I just give it a quick little sharpening before each season.
I've only had the Sheffield for a few months, but I had one just like it but it had Remington on it so I don't know if it was made by the same company or not, but the clip broke off on it so I quit using it.

And as far as the "multi-tools" go, I hate them myslef. Although the best one I've ever had was one that didn't fold in half but still had the pliers on the end. I only quit carrying because the blade was crap and was too heavy.

Tan
« Reply #2122 on: October 29, 2008, 08:11:40 PM »

I have had a Schrade Tough Tool ST1 for 8 years now. One of the leather sheathed ones built like a tank from before the company was bought out and their knives suffered in quality. Before that I mainly used my army issued Gerber multi-tool

http://www.botachtactical.com/schrade1.html

The Tough Tool weighs 3/4 of a pound and is as large as a standard needle-nose pliers when unfolded. Obviously not for everyone as it's quite large and heavy but it's one of those great personal effects that is "overbuilt" for it's task. Hell even the sheath is stitched AND riveted Smiley I believe 8 years ago my wife paid like $130 for it on my birthday, but what a difference compared to the cheap nylon sheathed ones they have now.

* St1.JPG (20.01 KB, 421x437 - viewed 168 times.)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:16:02 PM by Tan » Logged
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2123 on: October 29, 2008, 08:58:55 PM »

I like the folding utility knives also.
Easy to get replacement blades but they still aren't as sharp as a well maintained knife.

Today has been totally boned.
The only thing i managed to get done was bring down 1 box of DVDs and put together part of the DVD shelf.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2124 on: October 29, 2008, 10:11:23 PM »

WTF it snowed yesterday, and I live in central Jersey. That, coupled with my furnace not working for a week have left me very cold.  But luckily my dad got the parts today to fix it, so I'll be sleeping in the warmth tonight Grin
Feechy
Neo Geo AES
United States

Stats
« Reply #2125 on: October 29, 2008, 11:09:24 PM »

Did you get a snow day, or what exactly happened?

<Alfador> stop trying to rain on my parade
<Kimoosabi> Your parade is stupid!
<Alfador> my parade is TIGHT
-
Crabmaster2000: dont talk to him or he'll try to sell you modded playstations
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #2126 on: October 30, 2008, 03:48:52 PM »

I have had a Schrade Tough Tool ST1 for 8 years now.
That looks handy, I didn't even know those kind of things existed. Smiley
Tan
« Reply #2127 on: October 30, 2008, 04:40:11 PM »

WTF it snowed yesterday, and I live in central Jersey. That, coupled with my furnace not working for a week have left me very cold.  But luckily my dad got the parts today to fix it, so I'll be sleeping in the warmth tonight Grin

We used to have 2 feet of snow by Hallowe'en when I was a kid, now it's 50-68 degree weather and green grass. It'll be a fluke if we have snow at Christmas.

As someone who used to spend a lot of his time as a kid on a snowmobile, I really miss having a proper fall/winter. Undecided
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #2128 on: October 30, 2008, 04:42:30 PM »

As someone who used to spend a lot of his time as a kid on a snowmobile, I really miss having a proper fall/winter. Undecided
Which prooves global warming. It's pretty sad, winters used to be colder here too. Sad
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2129 on: October 30, 2008, 05:27:57 PM »

Which prooves global warming. It's pretty sad, winters used to be colder here too. Sad

No, it proves global climate change which has been occurring since there was a sun and an atmosphere on earth.

If it is truly going to get as hot as fast as people are saying (OH GOD! IT'S SO...TROPICAL), if enough ice is going to melt, if thermohaline circulation in the arctic DOES comes to a dead stop, then we in the Northern Hemisphere are going to be in for a nice little Ice Age.

It's fine to complain about global warming, but if you are going to believe in it at least know what the risks are. The way I see it, we should really just enjoy the warmth before we are all covered by thirty feet of ice.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 400 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length