RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 10:21:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6 0 Members and 13 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 400 Print
Author Topic: A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6  (Read 841828 times)
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #1770 on: September 17, 2008, 07:20:16 AM »

Ahh, finally, I've got Internet. We lost our power around 7:15 PM on Sunday and got it back 10:45 PM on Monday. But, we didn't get the cable back until sometime last night, so I was without the Internet for way too long.
On Sunday we got wind gusts up to 65 mph all night long, but we didn't get a drop of rain or flash of lightning, it was really weird.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #1771 on: September 17, 2008, 12:56:37 PM »

Ahh, finally, I've got Internet. We lost our power around 7:15 PM on Sunday and got it back 10:45 PM on Monday. But, we didn't get the cable back until sometime last night, so I was without the Internet for way too long.
On Sunday we got wind gusts up to 65 mph all night long, but we didn't get a drop of rain or flash of lightning, it was really weird.
That's a long time! I've never been without power for more than 5 hours, I think. Had to eat everything in the freezer? Wink Tongue
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1772 on: September 17, 2008, 02:27:22 PM »

That's a long time! I've never been without power for more than 5 hours, I think. Had to eat everything in the freezer? Wink Tongue
27.5 hours is the longest we've ever been without power (in recent history). 2-3 hours was probably my longest time before that. We hooked up a generator to our 2 fridges and freezer and ran an extension cord to the neighbor so she could plug in her freezer too, on Monday morning.
We did eat some awesome steaks that my mom was saving though. All our food had to be cooked on the grill though, since we don't have any gas appliances.

logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #1773 on: September 17, 2008, 03:46:20 PM »

Steaks? WHERE?!!

Something good always comes out of a power outage. Wink

Tell me about your variants...
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1774 on: September 17, 2008, 05:20:37 PM »

Yay!  Finally got Internet access back at my apartment.  The house prolly wont have power until after the weekend, though.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #1775 on: September 17, 2008, 05:56:01 PM »

My home is on a different section of the grid, so one side of the street can lose power, yet ours will be fine. laugh

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #1776 on: September 17, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »

My home is on a different section of the grid, so one side of the street can lose power, yet ours will be fine. laugh
Or....your side of the street can loose power while the other side is fine Wink

But a question: How did the flooding end? Not too many houses under water, I hope? And how about yours?
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #1777 on: September 17, 2008, 06:29:18 PM »

Or....your side of the street can loose power while the other side is fine Wink

But a question: How did the flooding end? Not too many houses under water, I hope? And how about yours?

Oh, it was all good fun! Our area wasn't affected, but Des Plains, Riverside, Du Page, lots of Neighborhoods in Chicago, and A LOT of Northwestern Indiana were in deep doo doo in terms of clean-up (and still are).

Example: The Eisenhower Expressway is a VERY major route to get to and from the city. What happens when it floods? CHAOS!!!! The day after the flooding, our school temporarily removed tardies for that day. A couple of kids came in at 5th period or later. Bobby (Not me or Feechy) came in at 5th period, and it took him FOUR HOURS to get to school. It normally takes him 25-35 minutes.

But that isn't flooded anymore. However, the shopping complex in Berwyn (where I live) is massively flooded still. XDXDXD

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1778 on: September 17, 2008, 09:03:22 PM »

Oh sweet Jesus. Finally got power back on since it went out on SUNDAY. My activities over the last few days have included: dumping ~ $100,000 worth of perishable food items out the back of the Kroger where I work, turning angry people away from the Kroger where I work, and for the last two days refilling all the shelves with all the crap we lost at the Kroger where I work. In my downtime I have been sitting in the dark drinking with my roommates; trading stories about the bygone days of the internet and air conditioning and cable TV. During it all we were hearing dark whispers of economic peril, of impending collapse, and we sharpened our sticks for war...

But now all the mind-numbing entertainment is back, and I'll go back to being brainwashed quite happily.

When shall his new form be revealed?
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1779 on: September 17, 2008, 09:06:49 PM »

So, the other day on my way to class, the street I normally take to get into the parking deck had a Sheriff's car blocking it. A little strange, but not totally out of the ordinary around this city. So I take an alternate route to another entrance, and notice something a little stranger. There was either a city or University cop car on every corner. I knew something was going on, but didn't know what, so I went about my business as normal. Once I got into the parking deck I drove up to the side that runs along the blocked street. There's a restaurant there and there was 3-4 white 15 passenger vans along with several large SUVs and some black cars parked along the street and in front of the restaurant. I still had no idea what was happening, so I went to class.

Now, today, I find out John McCain was at the restaurant eating dinner. An awful lot of excitement for something so mundane.
I can't help but think of how perfect that parking deck would have been for a sniper.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1780 on: September 17, 2008, 09:11:34 PM »

And that was the last post that NES_Rules ever made.

When shall his new form be revealed?
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #1781 on: September 17, 2008, 09:16:02 PM »

And that was the last post that NES_Rules ever made.

Quite true. You know, they monitor teh intewebs, so you'll be dead by tea time Sunday.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #1782 on: September 18, 2008, 08:09:41 AM »

Oh sweet Jesus. Finally got power back on since it went out on SUNDAY. My activities over the last few days have included: dumping ~ $100,000 worth of perishable food items out the back of the Kroger where I work, turning angry people away from the Kroger where I work, and for the last two days refilling all the shelves with all the crap we lost at the Kroger where I work. In my downtime I have been sitting in the dark drinking with my roommates; trading stories about the bygone days of the internet and air conditioning and cable TV. During it all we were hearing dark whispers of economic peril, of impending collapse, and we sharpened our sticks for war...

But now all the mind-numbing entertainment is back, and I'll go back to being brainwashed quite happily.
Wow, 4 days without power...must've been long. Sad to hear of all the food being wasted.

But seeing how you talked about all the mind-numbing entertainment when you were without, guess it's not that bad, is it?

Anyway, welcome back Smiley
hXd
Algebraic!
SNES
United States

Stats
« Reply #1783 on: September 18, 2008, 03:52:50 PM »

Got my tattoo this afternoon! When I get to take the bandage off and wash it I will put a picture up.

James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1784 on: September 18, 2008, 04:36:20 PM »

I went to the local college to enrol on a classic car repair course last night. The minimum amount of people needed was seven and I was the seventh person to enrol. So it's a good thing I went last night, even though it was a bit late. The first night was tonight and it's one night a week for six weeks.

I thought we would be going over how to change the oil and the basic stuff on the first night but we got straight in with the welding. One thing I'm not sure about is that there was no plan laid down, so we might be making it up as we go along, which I don't really like. The welding was just doing a line along a thin piece of metal, no sticking things together. It was enough to get started, though. I think next week we're sticking things together.

The two hours really flew by. I'm hoping I can get good enough and build up the confidence to do some welding on the Mini. To get someone else to do the work for an MOT would cost about £350-400, according to one guy. To buy a half decent welder will cost around £200, plus safety gear, plus parts. It's going to get in the region of getting someone else to do it, except I will have a welder available to do other work on the car.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 400 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length