RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 06:19:08 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6 0 Members and 12 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 400 Print
Author Topic: A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6  (Read 841573 times)
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1545 on: August 28, 2008, 09:21:55 AM »

Spent three hours of my life removing tar paper from wood flooring.  Why anyone would adhere something to nice wood flooring is beyond me.  I had three layers of crap over top the wood floors.

Insulation?  Sound deadening? 

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1546 on: August 28, 2008, 10:38:23 AM »

^There was a layer of shag carpet, tile, sub floor and then the wood floor.  The subfloor and tile are from the 50's and the shag is from the mid 60's.  I've been restoring this house for a year and a half.  So far I've redone all the plumbing, new electrical, brand new bathroom, new siding, insulation, new windows, new doors, and just built a garage.  I've taken down more paneling and peeled away more layers of wallpaper than I can count.  Some rooms I completely gutted.  The bathroom was the most dramatic.  I took everything out including the floor joists.  I had to put in new floor joists realign the back of the house and replumb everything.  A week after I bought the house I was standing in the dirt crawlspace with half my body in the former bathroom.  Everything was rotted and had to go.  2 days later I had a functioning bathroom.  Here are a few pictures of my current project in the kitchen.  The wood floor hasn't seen light in more than 50 years.  The black spots are the tar paper that was used in conjuction with nails to hold the layers of flooring down.

* home 003.JPG (69.91 KB, 600x450 - viewed 204 times.)

* home 007.JPG (60.88 KB, 600x450 - viewed 179 times.)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 10:46:14 AM by Ghost Soldier » Logged

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #1547 on: August 28, 2008, 11:08:20 AM »

^There was a layer of shag carpet, tile, sub floor and then the wood floor.  The subfloor and tile are from the 50's and the shag is from the mid 60's.  I've been restoring this house for a year and a half.  So far I've redone all the plumbing, new electrical, brand new bathroom, new siding, insulation, new windows, new doors, and just built a garage.  I've taken down more paneling and peeled away more layers of wallpaper than I can count.  Some rooms I completely gutted.  The bathroom was the most dramatic.  I took everything out including the floor joists.  I had to put in new floor joists realign the back of the house and replumb everything.  A week after I bought the house I was standing in the dirt crawlspace with half my body in the former bathroom.  Everything was rotted and had to go.  2 days later I had a functioning bathroom.  Here are a few pictures of my current project in the kitchen.  The wood floor hasn't seen light in more than 50 years.  The black spots are the tar paper that was used in conjuction with nails to hold the layers of flooring down.
I feel your pain somewhat. My dad and I are redoing his rental house. It hadn't had work done to it since he originally bought it in the 70's. So far, we've completely gutted the bathroom, everything but half the wood floor. The kitchen floor needs replaced down to and including the sub floor, most of the walls and ceilings in the bedroom and living room needs new drywall or more.
Luckily, we don't have to live there while it's being done, so we're going at a slow steady pace.

And I always hate when people feel the need to cover up the beautiful woodwork of old homes. I guess it's simply because it's cheaper and easier to put in carpet over wood floors than sanding and refinishing them. Or painting molding instead of refinishing it.

Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1548 on: August 28, 2008, 11:32:00 AM »

My next project is gutting the living room and putting in more electrical outlets, ceiling light, new insulation, and new drywall.  I've also uncovered 4 ft of area buried between two walls.  So the room will be expanded and two closets will be added when I remove this wall.  It's beyond me that people would rather loose floor space than remove a old chimney.  The chimney is only partial and goes as far as 10ft up.  No big deal to tear it down then the wall that they framed around it.  Inside the wall's are some old shelves that I can't get to yet.  Hopefully there will be something residing on those shelves.  I love to find old pictures or letters.

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1549 on: August 28, 2008, 04:27:58 PM »

Can we tone down the use of 'fags' please? I'm not usually nitpicky about words, but that one in particular really bugs me.

Thanks.

Yes, it's really not in your best interest to use that word.

Hello World.
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #1550 on: August 28, 2008, 04:40:30 PM »

Can we tone down the use of 'fags' please? I'm not usually nitpicky about words, but that one in particular really bugs me.

Thanks.

I say, let's all pretend to be British, and say that he meant cigarettes. Wink

Tell me about your variants...
Mr. Ksoft
Sega 32X

WWW Stats
« Reply #1551 on: August 28, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »

I feel good today.  I finally got around to changing my AIM screen name (which referenced a very old game development venture of mine and sounded far too professional) to something a lot more casual and more fun.   I've been meaning to do that for like a year.

Interesting stuff:
Monochrome Nightmares (self-made games)
Exploding Jellyfish (self-made music)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #1552 on: August 28, 2008, 07:06:09 PM »

I feel good today.  I finally got around to changing my AIM screen name (which referenced a very old game development venture of mine and sounded far too professional) to something a lot more casual and more fun.   I've been meaning to do that for like a year.
Does that take a lot of work or is it just typing in a new name?
ganonbanned
Nintendo 64
United States
Awards: The RFG Kid

Stats
« Reply #1553 on: August 28, 2008, 08:12:04 PM »

Thanks.

I say, let's all pretend to be British, and say that he meant cigarettes. Wink

yeah...sorry Sad

in other words, anyone ever notice that DSL backwards is LSD?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 08:20:26 PM by ganonbanned » Logged
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #1554 on: August 28, 2008, 08:38:43 PM »

Yes, have noticed that.  Tongue

In other news, bla bla bla.  Roll Eyes

Mr. Ksoft
Sega 32X

WWW Stats
« Reply #1555 on: August 28, 2008, 10:06:38 PM »

I feel good today.  I finally got around to changing my AIM screen name (which referenced a very old game development venture of mine and sounded far too professional) to something a lot more casual and more fun.   I've been meaning to do that for like a year.

Blargh, I had to change back, simply because I realized that my old name was way too established.  :/
So now I'm on what I used to have.  But I guess it's ok.  I can use this other name on my cell phone or something to avoid conflicts with me leaving AIM on all day.

Interesting stuff:
Monochrome Nightmares (self-made games)
Exploding Jellyfish (self-made music)
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #1556 on: August 29, 2008, 10:06:42 AM »

The Republican National Convention starts on Monday at the XCEL Center, which is about 5 minutes from my door.

I can't wait.

(Taste the sarcasm).
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1557 on: August 29, 2008, 10:51:22 AM »

What's that smell?

3 DAY WEEKEND!!!!  Grin

logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #1558 on: August 29, 2008, 11:10:09 AM »

What's that ORANGE?

FOUR DAY WEEKEND!  laugh Wink

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1559 on: August 29, 2008, 11:35:08 AM »

In the middle of a six day weekend here...

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 400 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length