RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2024, 06:22:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6 0 Members and 23 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 400 Print
Author Topic: A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6  (Read 817738 times)
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5175 on: August 27, 2013, 02:52:39 PM »

...and Serbia wasn't? Wink

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5176 on: August 27, 2013, 07:39:49 PM »

I'm vaguely perturbed by the fact we seem to be entering WWIII...

We are?

Think he's referring to the whole situation with Syria.

i really don't think syria is anywhere near the scale of the previous world wars...

It's not yet. It is, however, very much the type of conflict around which World Wars get warmed up on. It actually shares a very stark resemblance to the Spanish Civil War.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #5177 on: August 27, 2013, 08:11:12 PM »

Meh, Syria isn't anything to get worked up about. A lot of media talking about a lot of nothing. Also, there isn't much to gain from this conflict, either way, from a western standpoint. Muslim sects fighting amongst one another...who cares?

Interesting read: http://hitchensblog.mailo...seek-proof-of-guilt-.html

PS: I'm well aware it might be likely at this point that the West "intervenes" in the conflict. I expect another Libya-type situation. Though I hope we don't intervene. We have only money to lose and nothing to gain.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5178 on: August 27, 2013, 09:27:52 PM »

Meh, Syria isn't anything to get worked up about. A lot of media talking about a lot of nothing. Also, there isn't much to gain from this conflict, either way, from a western standpoint. Muslim sects fighting amongst one another...who cares?

Interesting read: http://hitchensblog.mailo...seek-proof-of-guilt-.html

PS: I'm well aware it might be likely at this point that the West "intervenes" in the conflict. I expect another Libya-type situation. Though I hope we don't intervene. We have only money to lose and nothing to gain.

That's the thing, it won't be another Libya situation. The Syrian army is by now very well equipped, entrenched, and veteran. Assad is backed by several major countries and won't simply roll over and die like Qaddafi did. He might have if we had moved in early, but we didn't.

So now either we get embroiled in a bloody nasty conflict, or we plink some missiles at him as a paltry political statement. Either way the situation is a tinderbox and we should just let them duke it out.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5179 on: August 28, 2013, 09:27:43 AM »

Post office guy gave me shit because 2 of my packages were .1 ounce over my paid amount.

Certainly didn't say anything the last several times when i was there and had paid for well over the weight shipped.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5180 on: August 28, 2013, 10:20:04 AM »

Post office guy gave me shit because 2 of my packages were .1 ounce over my paid amount.

Certainly didn't say anything the last several times when i was there and had paid for well over the weight shipped.

I've been shipping a lot of shit to the amazon trade in service. Sooooo nice they just give you a label to print off and you just drop it off at a UPS store and don't have to worry a lick about any of that shit.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5181 on: August 28, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »

I've been shipping a lot of shit to the amazon trade in service. Sooooo nice they just give you a label to print off and you just drop it off at a UPS store and don't have to worry a lick about any of that shit.

Hmm...not a horrible idea. How quick is the turnaround?

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #5182 on: August 28, 2013, 12:17:07 PM »

That's the thing, it won't be another Libya situation. The Syrian army is by now very well equipped, entrenched, and veteran. Assad is backed by several major countries and won't simply roll over and die like Qaddafi did. He might have if we had moved in early, but we didn't.

So now either we get embroiled in a bloody nasty conflict, or we plink some missiles at him as a paltry political statement. Either way the situation is a tinderbox and we should just let them duke it out.

Assad isn't an enemy of the west and Syria used to be a "safe" haven for christians in the middle east before this conflict started. I'd be more worried about all the rebel armies (al-qaeda proxies and islamofascists). Assad isn't the bad guy here.

Seriously. Will the west join forces with the rebels against Assad? Deliver weapons and support to the rebels? Help the rebels in any way? Put those same rebels in a western country and we'd be calling them terrorists. Yet in Syria they get a free pass and help too? The world is nuts.

All this fabricated outrage over alleged (but unproven) chemical attacks and the rediculous eager to jump in yet another pointless conflict tells me the US are interested in Syria for other reasons.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:22:11 PM by Sirgin » Logged
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5183 on: August 28, 2013, 12:25:38 PM »

OIL! POLITICS! RELIGION!

Syria oil reserves are bottoming out. I would be shocked if they recieved the same amount of public aid as Libya did.

Conspiracy theorists believe Libya got so much support as a dig at China. China imported over10% of their oil from the old regime. I never bothered to check any of those facts though because the person who told me was insane and has probably believed in almost every conspiracy you can think of.

Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #5184 on: August 28, 2013, 12:35:07 PM »

I technicaly work for the government and i havent had a pay rise in 3 years plus i now do the job of 4 people. We have cuts in every public service and armed forces yet some dipshit mp's are deciding to waste billions, and lives, on getting involved in a civil war that has nothing at all to do with Engalnd, USA or any other country but Syria. Sort out the problems here first then, maybe try and fix everything else.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #5185 on: August 28, 2013, 12:56:45 PM »

I technicaly work for the government and i havent had a pay rise in 3 years plus i now do the job of 4 people. We have cuts in every public service and armed forces yet some dipshit mp's are deciding to waste billions, and lives, on getting involved in a civil war that has nothing at all to do with Engalnd, USA or any other country but Syria. Sort out the problems here first then, maybe try and fix everything else.

Speaking the truth!
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5186 on: August 28, 2013, 02:11:39 PM »

Assad isn't an enemy of the west and Syria used to be a "safe" haven for christians in the middle east before this conflict started. I'd be more worried about all the rebel armies (al-qaeda proxies and islamofascists). Assad isn't the bad guy here.

Seriously. Will the west join forces with the rebels against Assad? Deliver weapons and support to the rebels? Help the rebels in any way? Put those same rebels in a western country and we'd be calling them terrorists. Yet in Syria they get a free pass and help too? The world is nuts.

All this fabricated outrage over alleged (but unproven) chemical attacks and the rediculous eager to jump in yet another pointless conflict tells me the US are interested in Syria for other reasons.

I don't disagree with you at all, I think it's something we should stay out of entirely!

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #5187 on: August 28, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »

I don't disagree with you at all, I think it's something we should stay out of entirely!

Absolutely. We have no stake in this conflict whatsoever. Not to mention the entire western world has massive debt. Even if you have a submarine or aircraft carrier laying about the middle east; actually using them (shooting missiles, flying jets, etc..) costs TONS of money.

The last war the US actually won was the Korean war, really. Every war after that has been a waste. Keep in mind that you can only win a war if both parties play by the same rules. Getting involved in civil or guerrilla wars is madness. And yet look at Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and now Syria. Stupid wastes of time, money and people.

You can never win civil wars as a country. Liberators become oppressors or colonialists in the eyes of the local people.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 02:32:16 PM by Sirgin » Logged
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5188 on: August 28, 2013, 02:39:50 PM »

Hmm...not a horrible idea. How quick is the turnaround?

About a week on average I'd say. It took two weeks when my girlfriend dropped one package at one of the pick up boxes, but when I take them to the store it's usually a week or less.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #5189 on: August 29, 2013, 01:30:52 PM »

My grandpa recently got a new modem/router/wireless box from his service provider. He kept telling me his Internet speed was slow (it really was) and if I could do something about it. I figured out there was nothing I could do, so he contacted them and they gave him the new box, which, supposedly, they're "just" rolling out to all users. More like to those who complain that their speed is shit, if you ask me.  Wink

Anyway, he has the new box and his speed is much better, both wireless and wired. He is also rid of his wireless connection dropping out on him.

But he told me the wireless connection wasn't secured. I was sceptical about that, because no technician worth his salt would upgrade someone's box and then not secure it. Especially for someone like my grandpa, who has no idea how to do that himself.

But sure enough, it was wide open. So I connect via ethernet cable to the router, turn on WPA2, etc... suddenly my grandpa's laptop can no longer connect to his own wireless network, even though I tried like 5 times, making sure to type in the password exactly right. I tried it on my smartphone and it worked right away, so I knew it wasn't the router playing tricks on me.

Eventually I found out that, because his laptop is rather old, his driver on his wireless adapter (Intel Wireless Pro ...) was outdated. So I downloaded the latest version I could find from Intel downloadcenter and BAM...immediately it was able to connect, to the secured connection this time. Pretty epic. Cheesy

Afterwards my grandpa told me the technician spent a long time screwing around and cursing at the laptop when he was there. I guess that guy just gave up, turned off the security and just left my grandpa's wireless open so he could get his laptop to connect.  Roll Eyes Pretty sad that I'm outsmarting a technician on something so simple as a driver update...seriously.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 01:33:07 PM by Sirgin » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 400 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length